Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 03-28-2014, 16:41   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Qaeda Militants Seek Syria Base, U.S. Officials Say

Qaeda Militants Seek Syria Base, U.S. Officials Say

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/wo...-say.html?_r=0

Within the article is talks about Syria being an appealing base for AQ operatives a base because it offers them the relative sanctuary of extremist-held havens. I think of it as the Taliban did for the ANA. A training ground and place they can get leadership, experience, equipment, and even weapons.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 20:20   #2
Flagg
Area Commander

I'm thinking Syria is a perfect semi-permissive space for bad guys to recruit, vet, and train some of the thousands of westerners heading there to act on behalf of AQ on their return to the west as auxiliaries, underground, and guerrillas.

I can't imagine how tough it must be to filter out the bad guys on their return especially if the bad guys are using Islamic humanitarian NGOs/aid agencies as cover.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 16:20   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
I'm thinking Syria is a perfect semi-permissive space for bad guys to recruit, vet, and train some of the thousands of westerners heading there to act on behalf of AQ on their return to the west as auxiliaries, underground, and guerrillas.

I can't imagine how tough it must be to filter out the bad guys on their return especially if the bad guys are using Islamic humanitarian NGOs/aid agencies as cover.
I would even throw in neighboring countries such as Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:30   #4
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I would even throw in neighboring countries such as Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.
I reckon you're right…..I could imagine Lebanon and Iraq might offer a safe, convenient, and deniable environment for groups in places that could benefit Iranian foreign policy objectives.

Jordan is an interesting one. Without any time there, and solely based on what I've read/heard is that Jordan could be a bit tougher for bad guys to operate in, although I would hazard a guess that the explosion in refugees due to the Syrian Civil War could see a repeat of the Palestinian quasi state within a state problem they had back in the late 60's that led to their own civil war.

Those voids where non-state actor viruses can be incubated with low risk of disruption.

it will be interesting to see how not just "macro spaces" such as vast uncontrolled space in Syria et al are used by non-state actors, but also "micro spaces" in current/future megaslums that nation states effectively cede control of to slumlords other than the rare public relations presence patrol.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote