WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

"Selling the Trident"

Sounds an awful lot like my own observations within SF

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/selling...eir-own-words/
Old 04-29-2019, 07:23   #2
mcarey
Quiet Professional

It has been going on for years in the SEAL community, at least now they may have the courage and the motivation to change.
mcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:11   #3
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Ya’ don’t say...

Most all of this recently happened under ADM McRaven and the Obama war machine. Carte Blanche given to the SEALs from the earliest days of the GWOT even though they screwed the pooch more often than being successful.

Bound to happen (and yes, happening to us as well) it’ll take years to unfu*k and if all the good guys leave it may not be fixable without a new roadmap for all of SOF.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26   #4
Sohei
Area Commander

Ego and pride are no respecter of persons or groups. There will always be those that are willing to allow theirs to override logic for profit. I don't suspect that will ever change.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10   #5
pcfixer
Guerrilla

SA / SITREP

I served proudly. Never did any drugs and still don't.

I'd think time to put mental health professionals on the teams with commanders to evaluate all soldiers and their leaders.
pcfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 20:17   #6
MrMojok
Asset

I guess maybe I'm a bit naive, but this is just stunning, to me. The book writing and video game consulting is one thing, but it just doesn't seem possible that people in any special operations unit could be using meth, heroin, marijuana, or cocaine. The kind of culture failings that could lead to widespread use of those is horrific to think about.

On a different topic, "If you take, for example the media coverage of operations Redwings and Extortion, you would believe that two different Chinook helicopters were shot down with RPGs. RPGs are not capable of taking out a helicopter as large as a Chinook—or only under very rare circumstances. For it to happen twice should raise questions. It is more likely that the Chinooks were shot down by stinger missiles."

I thought Extortion 17 was supposedly hit directly in the rear rotor by an RPG, and the one in Red Wings supposedly took one right up the open rear ramp that hit a fuel bladder or something similar. Lucky shots, but it hardly strains belief, does it?
MrMojok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:21   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok View Post
I guess maybe I'm a bit naive, but this is just stunning, to me. The book writing and video game consulting is one thing, but it just doesn't seem possible that people in any special operations unit could be using meth, heroin, marijuana, or cocaine. The kind of culture failings that could lead to widespread use of those is horrific to think about.

On a different topic, "If you take, for example the media coverage of operations Redwings and Extortion, you would believe that two different Chinook helicopters were shot down with RPGs. RPGs are not capable of taking out a helicopter as large as a Chinook—or only under very rare circumstances. For it to happen twice should raise questions. It is more likely that the Chinooks were shot down by stinger missiles."

I thought Extortion 17 was supposedly hit directly in the rear rotor by an RPG, and the one in Red Wings supposedly took one right up the open rear ramp that hit a fuel bladder or something similar. Lucky shots, but it hardly strains belief, does it?
What is your experience and knowledge of 1.) stinger and/or redeye missiles? They’re use by the mujahideen, they’re operation systems and lifespan, etc.? And 2.) use of RPGs against aircraft besides those 2 operations? (Hint: Think Blackhawk Down)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:43   #8
Box
Quiet Professional

“…a staggering pattern of drug use and profiteering”

Imagine if you will ------>

A society that sees recreational drug use as a victimless crime.
A society that increasingly votes for politicians that vow to legalize drug use for recreational purposes.
A society that wants to make six figure salaries as part of their entry fee into the professional work force.
A society that doesn’t want to pay taxes – because only rich people should pay taxes.
A society that wants rich people pay checks while only the “richer” people pay taxes.
A society that wants government tax money to pay for their defense, their security, schooling, their welfare, their roads, their health care, and their recreational drugs - all the while complaining that the government spends too much money on social programs.
A society that thinks anyone and everyone be allowed to serve in the armed forces
A society that has repeatedly refused the acceptance of any type of moral baseline.

Then ask yourself…
Why would our nation’s military service members behave any differently than the culture that produced them?

Let’s not put on our blinders and pretend that the Navy SEALs are the only ones doing this type of horse shit. We can't forget about SF guys being busted for smuggling drugs, weapons, opfund cash, and lord knows what else out of just about any country they are deployed to.

Plus - it wasn’t all that long ago that active duty SF troops were command sponsored by our senior leaders to pose in GQ Magazine for some of the cheesiest photo poses this side of a gay pride parade.
...even the title of the article tagged them as "The Quiet Professional"

YGTBSM

Sponsored by the same set of senior leaders that said “no more skulls on team room walls" even though the hallways of the Group HQ all the way up to the hallways in the ASCC HQ were chocked full of “skulls”
A command that had a “no alcohol ever at all” policy during deployments, yet - gave out “challenge coins” that were made to serve as bottle openers.

Now, on a count of "three" – let’s all be shocked as we strut around displaying our righteous indignation like a Peacock displays his feathers.

ONE...

TWO.......

THREE.................... HARRUMPH HARRUMPH HARRUMPH HARRUMPH
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 05-01-2019 at 08:46.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:39   #9
Uman
Quiet Professional

Read this

Here is a SEAL's NPS thesis about how the whole SEAL culture needs to be

reset.https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a632178.pdf
Uman is offline   Reply With Quote