Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 07-25-2016, 04:25   #1
Scimitar
Area Commander

Explanation of police tactics to a civlian

I was out to dinner recently, and got talking with some young liberals, who were very anti police. After some gentle explanation re: 21 yard rule, the shooting to wound myth, how vests don't make you bullet proof, and a single round won't always stop an attacker.....they all realized they had been pretty poorly informed by the media etc.
Anyway....I can’t for the life of me remember if I saw it her on PS.com, but there was an article written by a police officer explaining all these various variables of police combatants to the uninitiated.....an education piece of a sorts....

....My google fu fails me, can anyone point me in the right direction re: a link?

Cheers

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:45   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The best tool I have seen used is to allow the cop-haters to run through the shoot-no-shoot simulator. People learn very quickly that the decision has to be made in a split second, and the decision is not always right.

Incidentally, it is a 21 foot rule, not 21 yards.

A 21 yard police shooting of a knife or impact weapon assailant would be pretty difficult to justify.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34   #4
Sohei
Area Commander

I was sincerely impressed that he took the initiative to do that. I wish more would!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:17   #5
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I was out to dinner recently, and got talking with some young liberals, who were very anti police. After some gentle explanation re: 21 yard rule, the shooting to wound myth, how vests don't make you bullet proof, and a single round won't always stop an attacker.....they all realized they had been pretty poorly informed by the media etc.
Anyway....I can’t for the life of me remember if I saw it her on PS.com, but there was an article written by a police officer explaining all these various variables of police combatants to the uninitiated.....an education piece of a sorts....

....My google fu fails me, can anyone point me in the right direction re: a link?

Cheers

S
All very good and legitimate points but are only one side of the coin in that they apply to legitimate encounters with criminals. There police tactics and practices that need to highlighted for internal correction. Like holding officers accountable for going to the wrong address and shooting homeowners and dogs, lying on search warrants, rummaging through trash and getting a MJ warrant for used tea leaves, and shit like that.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:48   #6
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
All very good and legitimate points but are only one side of the coin in that they apply to legitimate encounters with criminals. There police tactics and practices that need to highlighted for internal correction. Like holding officers accountable for going to the wrong address and shooting homeowners and dogs, lying on search warrants, rummaging through trash and getting a MJ warrant for used tea leaves, and shit like that.
Yes...those are horrendous leadership failures that have to be addressed before change can be made for the better. As is often said...a fish rots from the head down. Those are the ones that make it hard for the rest of LE to move forward in the right direction.

Leadership has to be held accountable, or things simply won't change.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:34   #7
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
rummaging through trash
hmmm, educate me please. I thought/was trained TRASHINT is fair game

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:59   #8
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
hmmm, educate me please. I thought/was trained TRASHINT is fair game
"TRASHINT" is legal. I believe he is probably referring to the use of bogus material and information for the obtaining of warrants.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:06   #9
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Shopping at a garden store alone becomes PC? LINK

It was part of the Missouri Highway Patrol's collaboration with the DEA called Operation Constant Gardener.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 07-25-2016 at 12:14.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:13   #10
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Incidentally, it is a 21 foot rule, not 21 yards.
Shit, thanks TR.
The imperial system gets me every time.
I guess the 6.4m rule doesn't sound as cool.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote