Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 06-10-2017, 15:13   #16
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
This sounds like vapor ware??

Who is my "other user"??

I don't see the likelihood of a bunch of people signing up to be my relay team??
Users in your group are repeaters to extend the range up to 50 miles is what it is saying.

lets say you and team Sgt and myself are in the woods. you and I walk 3 miles we both can talk to TM Sgt.
I stay put and you walk another 3 miles you are now out of range of TM Sgt on your own but because I am only 3 miles away it will use me as a repeater for text and it will send to TM Sgt and he will see it after it gets retransmitted from my device. it's 256 bit encryption also.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 16:22   #17
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I was thinking that was the process,, but it means you need a "team" with a structured rules for times available, locations, and traffic patterns.. Something most people will not have knowledge of.

I think I would rather up the game, get the education for a Technician Class License, with privileges above 30 MHz, then use 2 meter handhelds and a base with a good tower antenna..

If you go for a General or Extra class License you get access to just about every freq you can buy gear for.

http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license

http://www.arrl.org/upgrading-to-a-general-license

http://www.arrl.org/upgrading-to-an-extra-license

When I was a kid, my dad had Extra class and would QSO QSP the world. He could Key at 30+. Learned it in the navy WWII.

I remember sometime in the early 70't when there was an earth quake in Peru, he, and friends, acted as relays for families in the US trying to contact "home".

I sat for the General test at 12, pass the technical, but could not Key worth a shit. Back then 95% of the traffic was Key driven.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg q_codes.jpg (76.1 KB, 14 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:40   #18
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Bought a BaoFeng BF-F8HP as entry level equipment and a Technician class training package.
I've likely mentioned this before in a couple of other threads but if you are going to the bother of studying/taking the Tech exam, study & bang away at the online practice exams for the General - Puh-LEEZ, in the name of all that is holy in the Ionosphere. About 50-60% of the Tech info you will see again on the General, maybe just phrased differently. There is no extra fee at a testing session, you can keep progressing up the ladder till you don't pass one. (The Extra is a different animal.) But go for the General - pass the Tech, get up, go to the bathroom, have some coffee & a donut, then sit back down & pass the General. If you have any inkling that you might want to do some HF for local or regional comms sans repeaters, you can thank me later.

And no, there is no longer a code requirement...
even though it's really cool to know & still works when the solar cycle is in the shitter.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:45   #19
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
I've likely mentioned this before in a couple of other threads but if you are going to the bother of studying/taking the Tech exam, study & bang away at the online practice exams for the General - Puh-LEEZ, in the name of all that is holy in the Ionosphere. About 50-60% of the Tech info you will see again on the General, maybe just phrased differently. There is no extra fee at a testing session, you can keep progressing up the ladder till you don't pass one. (The Extra is a different animal.) But go for the General - pass the Tech, get up, go to the bathroom, have some coffee & a donut, then sit back down & pass the General. If you have any inkling that you might want to do some HF for local or regional comms sans repeaters, you can thank me later.

even though it's really cool to know & still works when the solar cycle is in the shitter.
Good advice, thanks. I started going through Tech practice tests this weekend, scoring around 70% consistently without even studying the material. I can see how people spend two to four hours with the materials and pass the test.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09   #20
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post

Pretty much the way I did mine. Totally painless and the HF freqs available to the General licensee are well worth the minimal extra investment. It's not long term/long range emergency comms if you're depending on somebody else's repeater.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:30   #21
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Right on!

What they said!

My wife (who is very intelligent but has difficulty identifying a radio vs a rutabaga) took a 1-day course and passed her tech exam with over 90%. I suspect she could have done General as well.

73 DE Hartley
W1OQ
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:35   #22
Badger52
Area Commander

Get your foundation studying the old-fashioned way. Of the couple primary ham-oriented sites this one has the better practice exams, imo, based on the feedback you get. Like most things, the real learning starts later & then continues if you let it.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote