Old 11-19-2006, 21:15   #1
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

M-4 Magazines

I bought a Rock River M4 in October. Great rifle. I was talking with a guy in my section about it (he has one, too) and the topic of magazines came up.

I have six right now. I was curious how many anyone else owning an M4 has?
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 22:03   #2
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
I bought a Rock River M4 in October. Great rifle. I was talking with a guy in my section about it (he has one, too) and the topic of magazines came up. I have six right now. I was curious how many anyone else owning an M4 has?
Monsoon65:

Roger -- do you understand the Cold War? You have two issues that need to be cleared up. First, you have what was known during the Cold War as a 'Gap'. In your terms, this is a 'Magazine Gap'. Six magazines of what type? I know fellows with thirty each original twenty round Colt M-16 magazines and many more thirty round magazines of a variety of issue.

Also be advised, an M-4 is a Carbine, not a Service Rifle or even an 'Assault Rifle'. I term them 'Malfunction Prone Ersatz Assault Rifles'.

As your public profile indicates you are part of the Postal Service, your asking how many magazines honest citizens own is making some of us honest citizens wonder why you ask?

Kisses.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 22:27   #3
Razor
Quiet Professional

Monsoon, with the recent changes in Congress, and given the home state gun-control legislation history of one soon-to-be majority leader, I'd recommend buying more while you still can.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26   #4
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Gene Econ: I was just wondering what one person thought was enough and another thought was a good start! I read somewhere that a guy had 70+ 30 round magazines and the reason was that when he went to the range, he hated to have to reload while he was there.

Razor: I agree 100%. I'm buying more as we speak because of just that reason.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:37   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
I have six right now. I was curious how many anyone else owning an M4 has?
All I need.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:41   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Not as many as I want.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:48   #7
7624U
Quiet Professional

12 of my own
access to 100's if the $hit hit the fan.
ive got a squad of students to protect me lol

Last edited by 7624U; 11-20-2006 at 11:07.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:01   #8
MAB32

Evidently, I don't have enough either.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

When I buy a new pistol, I automatically buy a minimum of six mags to go with it.

If I like it and plan to carry or use it on a regular basis (especially if it uses a high capacity mag), I up it to ten mags, considering that you need range mags, spares you leave in the car or out around the house, etc. A mag-fed firearm without a good mag is a single-shot, straight-pull weapon.

A semi-auto rifle using a high-cap mag would require a minimum of eight to start with. As a civilian, that should be plenty for anything but bans preventing future purchases or a zombie invasion. If you have expended over 200 rounds and have not had the opportunity to take ten seconds to reload one or more using stripper clips, you are either LE or are taking on LE.

If I were anticipating not being able to obtain more or were going to be practicing and training with it as a military rifle, I would like to have 18-24. You can reduce that a bit if you have several rifles using a common mag, but as you can see from previous mag discussions here, I carried a minimum of 17 30 round M-4 mags in the woods. Some teammates carried more, only a few carried less.

As the saying goes, when asked "How much ammo should I carry?", the correct response is, "How much CAN you carry?" IMHO, the only time you can have too much ammo is when you are trying to swim.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 11-20-2006, 12:33   #10
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
IMHO, the only time you can have too much ammo is when you are trying to swim.

TR
Or you are on fire.

Once again, TR speaks the truth. C Products was offering 30 round mags with Chrome silicon springs and Magpul followers for something like $99 + shipping per 10 mags. Not a bad thing to snag if you ask me. I believe they are also fixing to offer a group buy discount over on ar15.com in the equipment exchange at even lower rates for members of that site.

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 13:11   #11
Tuukka
Guerrilla

Just as a general observation, check the condition of the magazines regularly and DX those that show issues and replace them.
Old 11-20-2006, 13:16   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air.177
Or you are on fire.

Once again, TR speaks the truth. C Products was offering 30 round mags with Chrome silicon springs and Magpul followers for something like $99 + shipping per 10 mags. Not a bad thing to snag if you ask me. I believe they are also fixing to offer a group buy discount over on ar15.com in the equipment exchange at even lower rates for members of that site.

Good times,
Blake
Good gouge.

$9.70 each for the mags described to Mil/LE. Deal of the month.

Just ordered a few more.

TR

Old 11-20-2006, 13:32   #13
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
"How much CAN you carry?" IMHO, the only time you can have too much ammo is when you are trying to swim.

TR

Blub, blub, blub Yeah, that is a bummer, especially if you've 'modified' your LBE. ( so, you've 550'd your pistol belt together to add 2 extra mag pouches, and are preparing to cross a "shallow" ford, 10th step in - the river goes 10' deep and you've got a full load, yes, you become an anchor) maybe we need to add another piece of equipment to the combat soldier's inventory - self inflating BCs built into the body armor or LBE?

Wouldn''t help if you were on fire though, would it?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR

Last edited by x SF med; 11-20-2006 at 13:36.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 14:19   #14
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sf_med
Wouldn''t help if you were on fire though, would it?

I dunno, fill them with Halon or similar fire suppressant, and they could be.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 16:29   #15
STR8SHTR
Auxiliary

I have about 20 -30 (28) round AR magazines on hand right now and about to order 10-20 more. I know I can't use them all at once, however they do tend to go TU from time to time. It is also nice to have alot of spares on hand when attending classes so you don't spend every moment when not on the line stuffing mags.

Last edited by STR8SHTR; 11-20-2006 at 16:33.
STR8SHTR is offline   Reply With Quote