Old 01-25-2019, 15:35   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
New Toy in 338 Norma Mag

If this holds water..

The 338 Norma mag can go head to head with the 338 Lapua on ballistics but on a shorter action. Both are based on 416 Rigby, using the same bolt face, the Norma a little fatter.

I'm thinking recoil on a full-auto 20lb weapon is going to be stout.

I also think they need to find a better flash "hider"

Quote:

Sig Sauer Live-Fires its Hard-Hitting New Ultra-Light Machine Gun

21 Jan 2019
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

LAS VEGAS -- Sig Sauer demonstrated its potent new lightweight machine gun Sunday, a weapon that Sig officials say is very similar to the light MG the firm is developing to participate in the U.S. Army effort to replace the M249 squad automatic weapon.

At a special, pre-SHOT Show 2019 live-fire demo, Sig Sauer fired its new 20-pound machine gun chambered for .338 Norma Magnum.

This is the lightest, most powerful [man-portable] machine gun on the face of the earth," Colin Murphy, an instructor with Sig Sauer Academy and former member of Army's 3rd Special Forces Group, told an audience at the Sig Sauer range day.

The belt-fed machine gun has a rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute and a maximum effective range of 2,000 meters.

"It's an incredible capability," Murphy said describing how the modular design allows the operator to change out the barrel and receiver and shoot 7.62x51mm NATO if necessary.

It has a collapsible buttstock and weighs 20 pounds, so it's significantly lighter than the 27-pound M240B machine gun in 7.62mm with "less felt recoil," Murphy said.

Sig officials said the firm will is working on a similar MG prototype, chambered in 6.8mm for the Army's prototype opportunity notice for the service's Next Generation Squad Weapon program.

"We will not be submitting this, but we are working on the prototype opportunity notice for the U.S. Army," Paul Snyder, product manager for crew-served belt-fed machine guns at Sig, told Military.com.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2019/...NzAxMDA2NDYzS0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig MachineGun Closeup 1200.jpg (54.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Sig Machine Gun 1200.jpg (41.0 KB, 63 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 15:41   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I'm thinking recoil on a full-auto 20lb weapon is going to be stout.

I also think they need to find a better flash "hider"
I'm betting the "less felt recoil" comment was due to nothing but the most mitigating brake they could attach, which leads to what you said next about their "flash hider."

I'm kinda chucklin' - looks like a regular Magpul stock on a regular MILSPEC receiver extension. I wonder what the buffer & spring weight come in at unless the BCG itself weighs a ton... lol.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 16:12   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Dug up more pics with better detail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sig 338 2.jpg (85.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg sig 338 1.jpg (49.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg sig 338 3.jpg (85.1 KB, 54 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 22:19   #4
mojaveman
Area Commander

I could see it being used on a vehicle but in the light infantry application those hundreds of rounds of .338 are going to be heavy.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 22:25   #5
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Looks top heavy and definitely a M4 receiver extension, round nut and stock. Doubt that their is any spring/buffer in there. With the mass of the receiver I'm sure the recoil spring is in there like on a M240/M249. With that little weight/heavy recoil don't expect a long service life out of the gun.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:59   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
Doubt that their is any spring/buffer in there. With the mass of the receiver I'm sure the recoil spring is in there like on a M240/M249.
Ah, good point, thanks.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 19:24   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have a .338 Lapua. With the muzzle ported, it has recoil equivalent to
a .30-06. My son's Winchester M70 in
.300 WinMag has much more recoil...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 23:30   #8
G2squared
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Dug up more pics with better detail
FWIW,
That looks like the standard picatiny rail used by SIG on their MPX/MCX series and the adapter they use to put a std AR buffer tube extension. So unless they drilled a hole in it and did some engineering magic, all of the springs are in the receiver.
As for recoil mitigation, what's shown in the pics is SIG's flash hider and not one of their brakes. On their AR series of mounting system for their suppressors, the end can be unscrewed and changed to either a brake (556 is single cut/chamber and 308 is 2 cuts/chambers, 338? should go 3+), or flash hider(engineer was talking about doing a combo a few years ago but I haven't seen one since). I can't tell by the pics if this is one of their suppressor ready quick attach muzzle devices, but it would match their design trend if it was.
So what is your commander going to take off your packing list to add the ammo for this thing in quantities enough to be usable?!

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote