Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 08-16-2006, 19:14   #1
Black Beard
Asset

going to 19th co.B

Hello all! I'm enlisting as a prior service trainee into 19th grp. NG next week. 35 yrs. old with Marine Corps behind me and a lot of real life leadership exp. in the civilian world-will this exp. help? Want to do something to contribute and SF is the only place I want to be. Any advice or opinions? Great just to make contact with anyone in my sit. Thanks to all who read this!
BB
Black Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 19:22   #2
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beard
lot of real life leadership exp. in the civilian world-will this exp. help? BB
Can't hurt as long as you apply what you learned to the military definitions and requirements of leadership and don't try to apply what the civilian world refers to as leadership when they are really talking about management. But I am sure your time in the Corps has probably allowed you to sort those distinctions out. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 18:17   #3
Black Beard
Asset

Thanks for reply Col.

I appreciate your response. Being established with a family, I'm going into the NG. 19th SF, Co. B. How much does age play a part in training? Being 35 yrs. old, is that unrealistic compared to what you've seen or experienced? Hope to keep in touch and talk some more! Thanks again!
BB
Old 08-20-2006, 18:27   #4
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beard
Being 35 yrs. old,
You're still a pup age wise. As I do not know what your physical attributes are I have no way of gauging if that will or will not be a challenge. I certainly have had troops older than that performing a their peak at that age, but then they got there through years of training and learning the tricks of the trade-like the use of Ranger candy I would like to tell you that if you are committed and put your mind into it you can do just about anything-I'd like to tell you that but I can't. Physiological limitations happen to us all, just when that happens depends on some things within our control based on how we took care of ourselves over the course of a career and many variables outside our control such as being placed into situations where other factors impacted on every fiber of our being for which we all pay a price at some time sooner or later. I know that probably doesn't help, but you will know your limitations better than anyone else. Sometimes you just have to listen to your body and pay attention to what it is telling you. It is not just all about you anymore, but also about all those that are going to have to depend on you being able to carry your load and sometimes theirs when they are down. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 19:37   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Exactly right, Sir.

Too many people waiting too late to make career decisions thinking that they need to grab a piece of the action.

The sad fact is that you will likely not make it, if you do your team time will be abbreviated. No real way for someone starting out 15 years later to last as long as someone who makes the decision early. Some of these kids joining now could do 20 years on an ODA.

If your body cannot deal with the training, do not continue it. It would be the height for selfishness to press on for your own reasons, and deploy to find that the team has to carry you and your share of the load.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:19   #6
Black Beard
Asset

Thanks Reaper

I will be in for one year to see how things go in training and how my body is holding up. Gonna give it 110% for the year so I have a very good idea of what my future would be like. I understand your advice, and would not continue if I thought it to be detrimental to the team-no way would I want to be a burden to those with such an important mission! Better late than never!! Just want to contribute to such a fine group of men! Sounds corny to some maybe, but I feel a lot of younger men should be stepping up to the plate and are not!! Therefore some of us older gentlemen must carry some weight. I've never seen a time when I thought there was a better cause. Don't just want part of the action, would much rather have "World Peace". I think our Country and especially SF needs some good men right now more than ever and I hope to contribute in some way!!! Thanks again, and hats off to all of you Quiet Professionals who serve!!!
BB
Old 08-21-2006, 09:24   #7
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Col Moroney/ TR or other QP,

Gentlemen, going through the pipeline at 35+ is certainly not ideal. While in the pipeline, other than pure performance, is age taken into consideration in assessing an individual's suitablility for SF? Does the cadre look 4-5 years down the road? A guy 35 now is 40 in 5 years and is at least looking at the down hill regardless of his physical condition. Where as a 25 yr old has that much more time to spend on an ODA. (Do you keep making minor repairs on the old car that is running OK but nickle and diming you to death, or do you go out and get that new car???) Given the fact that SFAS and Q cadre assess the soldiers ability to function as both an individual and a team member do cadre take into consideration the fact that an older guy may not recover and may begin to break down sooner than a younger guy. In other words, when a guy gets selected and graduates the Q is that not a statement that he meets the minimum requirement and that cadre believes he has what it takes to be a contributing member of and ODA and not a burden due to age? Am I being to idealistic? I realize that older candidates and younger candidates are not mutually exclusive selections, just wondering if age is an element of the total picture.

Last edited by Five-O; 08-21-2006 at 09:50.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 13:02   #8
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O
In other words, when a guy gets selected and graduates the Q is that not a statement that he meets the minimum requirement and that cadre believes he has what it takes to be a contributing member of and ODA and not a burden due to age? Am I being to idealistic? I realize that older candidates and younger candidates are not mutually exclusive selections, just wondering if age is an element of the total picture.
Graduation of the Q course means you met the minimum standards for graduation from the Q course and have the potential to serve in your qualifying MOS as a SF soldier. Whether or not you will be a contributing member to an ODA depends on what you do when you get there. Your graduation certificate only gets you across the threshold of the team room door, what happens from there depends on you and many other factors. The truth is that winning the Green Beret is a whole lot easier than wearing it. While the school is demanding, it is to a degree forgiving. That will not be the case when you cross the line of departure on your first mission be it training or actual. Age, then, will only be a factor if you let it and no one is going to cut you any slack because of your advanced years. If you can cut it you can cut it if you can't you can't. I cannot be anymore direct than that. Let me put it another way, while the Army allows for lowered PT standards for age the mission will never allow it and as our troops advance in age and leadership responsibility through promotion they are still expected to set the example and lead from the front. Age is a dual edged blade-it brings with it experience and knowledge but it also deals the cruel reality of physical stress and demands that will cost you in the long run. How much of that you wish to suck up and drive on with is a personal decision. When it starts to cost your team members because lowered ability to do you job and meet mission demands it becomes a command decision and it will be time to hang up your ruck. Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-21-2006, 13:51   #9
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Roger sir,

I thought that was the case , I just wanted to hear from the horses mouth.
Thanks.

Last edited by Five-O; 08-21-2006 at 18:37.
Old 08-21-2006, 17:27   #10
Black Beard
Asset

Col. Moroney/Five-0

Thanks to both for the input, greatly appreciated. I guess I have the best of both worlds right now. I get to sign on to the SF Training Team for a one-year enlistment, (they hope to get you to SFAS and Airborne w/in that year). After that we have a choice of re-enlistment options (3,6, or we decide it's not for us and we get out). The only thing I will need to look at after that first year, (God willing everything goes well), is my family sit. and my civ. career. As you both know Q-course will be at least a 1-2 yr. PCS. So I do have a little latitude with my choices down the road. Being that i'm slotted for 18D, my time would be the longest. Not gonna be an easy road, but I was always taught "not to pray for an easy life, but to pray to be a strong person". Not to get to philisophical, but that came from an SF ODA member my Dad served with in the Army, (retired now). Anyway, always love the input and opinions and hope to talk more in the future. God Bless!!
BB
Old 08-21-2006, 18:45   #11
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Its really simple and comes down to four issues. Will your mind allow your body to hump long distance with a heavy ruck every day for nearly a month? Will your body hold up and can you think and make sound decisions when you need to? Does the Cadre think you are good enough? One way or another, I think your answer will come to you (and all candidates myself included) in the middle of a long walk with a bag of rocks on your back.....just a hunch.

Last edited by Five-O; 08-22-2006 at 07:02.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:01   #12
helicom6
Asset

35 and serving

There are lots of good jobs doing support for SF ARNG and you still get to do lots of cool stuff. Just work your A off in what ever capacity you go into and reap the benefits of a job well done. Have you been through selection? I keep hearing 25 meter target. Good Luck!
helicom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:55   #13
Black Beard
Asset

No, not yet. Just started on the training team and if all goes well I will be going w/in the year. 25 meters?? What's that about? You've been to selection and the "Q"? With the unit now on an ODA?? Thanks for the reply!
BB
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33   #14
x SF med
Quiet Professional

When I went through, we had a 39 yo CPT in my training Company - the guy was a monster - wouldn't quit for anything, but O's have a shorter lifespan on a team.

BB-
Remember, it's not being able to say "I am/was a Green Beret" it's "I'm an SF soldier, my team is my backbone". Is your family prepared for the commitment you are making? Are you prepared for the commitment you are making? There is no half assed in SF, half assed is dead.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 14:08   #15
Black Beard
Asset

x_sf_med

Understood!! Thanks for the input. Don't know if my wife understands completely yet-think so. It's been a long time coming, and I would have to say that I know as much as possible about the commitment from where I sit. NG makes it a little easier for her to swallow, she knows it's where my heart and passion has been for a long time, (firmly believe in what SF stands for). Would die first before I would settle for anything being half-assed in this decision. At 35 yrs. old, with what i've been through physically and mentally up to this point, this is going to hurt a lot, but I would like to think I have learned to deal with pain in many ways. Not at all trying to sound cocky, I know SFAS is going to be a real "gut check", but if my body holds up, nothing is stopping me, no doubts!!$$ God forbid, I break physically in some way, guess that's telling me something. Don't ever want to be dead weight to my TEAM! Talk soon, BB.