Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 09-08-2006, 20:46   #16
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckyl
I've been really happy with my Garmin GPS 60 CSX's performance. It tracks faster than just about any GPS I have previously used, and it's capable of recieving a signal through an aromored vehicle via the quad-helix antenna.

Clencher for me was the removable micro-sd chip.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsma...60csxRF-LG.jpg

I recently bought one of these and have added a 1GB chip for additional memory.

This unit is quite remarkable.

Anyone have any good deal contacts for downloadable Map Software?!?!

Later
Martin
Old 07-28-2008, 22:28   #17
hoot72
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
I recently bought one of these and have added a 1GB chip for additional memory.

This unit is quite remarkable.

Anyone have any good deal contacts for downloadable Map Software?!?!

Later
Martin

I am finally going to have to invest in my very own Garmin GPS 60 CSX in the next month or so as the company who handled all our mapping and routes has closed shop (owner is retiring and pissing off to CEBU to retire with the wife).

I had a question or two for those of you who are using this particular model:

1) Are you able to easily add your routes from your hikes to topographic maps on your pc? How does it work? Do you have to pay it on yourself meaning locate the hiking routes yourself or...?

2) How do you sync your gps co-ordinates with goggle earth? Easy to do?

3) Are there better topo and sat photos of north borneo other than depending on goggle earth? The eastern side of kota kinabalu over the mountain range in the kiulu valley is blurred and there are some great hiking trails on that particular section of the crocker range...

cheers
hoot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38   #18
CSB
Quiet Professional

Buying a GPS Receiver

As in so many other procurement decisions (including governmental):

Do you want:

1 - The lowest priced unit that meets your minimum specifications, or;

2 - The best possible unit you can buy for a fixed number of dollars?

Minimum specifications would include:

a) No less than 12 channel/all satellites in view capability.
b) WAAS
c) 500 waypoints / 10 routes

etc.

and then add:

High sensitivity receiver (active antenna)

Color display (of increasing numbers of pixels/resolution).

Size of display (bigger is definately better).

Cable and Software for map / image / waypoint upload/download. preferably a generic USB plug/port rather that a proprietary cable or RS-232 that may not directly interface with legacy laptop computers.

External Memory (typically an SD chip).

Waterproof / Floating.

and then add:

Glonass (Russian) satellite capability. Maybe Gallieo if the EU gets its act together.

Differential GPS capability (secondary receiver) / post-processing capability.

Firmware upgrades.

and so on.

Bare minimum might be a $99 Garmin Etrex, while upper echelon receivers with disks and subscriptions for updates can exceed $600.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 23:37   #19
hoot72
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
As in so many other procurement decisions (including governmental):

Do you want:

1 - The lowest priced unit that meets your minimum specifications, or;

2 - The best possible unit you can buy for a fixed number of dollars?

Minimum specifications would include:

a) No less than 12 channel/all satellites in view capability.
b) WAAS
c) 500 waypoints / 10 routes

etc.

and then add:

High sensitivity receiver (active antenna)

Color display (of increasing numbers of pixels/resolution).

Size of display (bigger is definately better).

Cable and Software for map / image / waypoint upload/download. preferably a generic USB plug/port rather that a proprietary cable or RS-232 that may not directly interface with legacy laptop computers.

External Memory (typically an SD chip).

Waterproof / Floating.

and then add:

Glonass (Russian) satellite capability. Maybe Gallieo if the EU gets its act together.

Differential GPS capability (secondary receiver) / post-processing capability.

Firmware upgrades.

and so on.

Bare minimum might be a $99 Garmin Etrex, while upper echelon receivers with disks and subscriptions for updates can exceed $600.

Good points you brought up there CSB..let me do some research and get back to you..cheers
Old 07-31-2008, 11:08   #20
Rob_0811
Auxiliary

just out of curiosity, do the SF teams use the etrex type GPS more often than the DAGRs issued to those of us in the Big Army?
Old 07-31-2008, 20:10   #21
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

IMHO you should absolutely go with the GPSMAP 60CSx from Garmin. It's got a superior antenna to the other Garmin products - hence the price difference. You really pay for the antenna in GPS, and the "double-helix" antenna marketed on this unit is superior. You can reliably pick up sats in locations where the ETrex and other units will not work.

When I bought mine in REI, the guy in the store turned it on and after about 5 minutes it was tracking to w/i 500ft. Not too bad for being inside an REI. It works great, very resilient, easy display, etc. Just a little pricey at around $350.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09   #22
hoot72
Guerrilla

Slightly off topic here but it relates to GPS Units..would anyone know if there is a DVD or CD Rom available with quality topo maps of North Borneo and the island of Labuan (victoria Island) located off the coast of Brunei?

The current maps available date back to 1985 and pre 80';s and are out of date..I know some mapping companies do have updated versions...
Old 08-10-2008, 19:14   #23
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
I use the Regatta series for racing. I still prefer my simple TAG or the Citizen Eco-Drive for most things.

I have the older eTrexC (in color) that was effective in the box for what I was using it for at the time which was mostly marking IEDs, crossovers, and trials out in the middle of nowhere.

Its main deficiencies where no external antenna jack (it couldnt recieve in armoured vehicles so had to live in an open turret), small screen, and controls that too me werent that user friendly though they were ergonomically placed.

Im am interested in the Colonel's recommendation though I am concerned about using rechargable batts while out in the field ( I like the idea of having a unit I can use in the car but dismounted too). Im used to carrying disposables for the obvious reason.

Ive seen the gpsmap60 around even at my level and they are very good, plus they use disposables.

x SF med, what are you racing (old nacra 5.2 here)?
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:03   #24
combatdivesup
Quiet Professional

Foretrex 101

If you're doing anything with RW, I recommend the 101. The huge compass will guide you to the door/ LCC. The 201 is sexier, but eats batteries faster and I just prefer the big arrow of the 101. Get with your rigger shed or some cloth ninja to remedy the buckle issue...it will break the hell off. Although it says waterproof...well, you know the deal.

Different note: screw Suunto, I have blown through 3 of them. Casio Pathfinder with Tough Solar (I have the wave ceptor, love it) lays the Suunto down. Batt stays charged, all updates are auto, easier to set up/ understand, makes you even more devestatingly handsome, and your d**k bigger.
Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

(One of the many Knight's Oaths written in books, from back when combat was personal)
combatdivesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:50   #25
hotshot
Quiet Professional

I Second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatdivesup View Post
If you're doing anything with RW, I recommend the 101. The huge compass will guide you to the door/ LCC. The 201 is sexier, but eats batteries faster and I just prefer the big arrow of the 101. Get with your rigger shed or some cloth ninja to remedy the buckle issue...it will break the hell off. Although it says waterproof...well, you know the deal.

Different note: screw Suunto, I have blown through 3 of them. Casio Pathfinder with Tough Solar (I have the wave ceptor, love it) lays the Suunto down. Batt stays charged, all updates are auto, easier to set up/ understand, makes you even more devestatingly handsome, and your d**k bigger.

I second that advice. I have a 101 on me everywhere I go over here down range. As far as the buckle issue, london bridge sells a better case that holds it more securely than the strap/pin set up. Good luck
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:13   #26
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

Have you looked at the Magellan Triton 400 or 500? The nice thing about them is the memory card which will hold maps from anywhere National Geographic has them. They are available on line for under $300.

Magellan Triton 500
Includes One Year Manufacturer's Warranty

2.2" QVGA Color Display
SiRFstarIII™ Chipset
Preloaded Basemap
SD Card Compatibility
VantagePoint™ Software
Electronic Compass & Barometer
Compatibility with National Geographic Maps

$229.99
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:13   #27
washer11a
Asset

Any opinions on maps for in-theater, namely Iraq? Have the 60csx, now am wondering if it's worthwhile to fill in C or E of my navi PACE plan with one of the commercial offerings available online? Any advice based on past experience would be much appreciated...
washer11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 23:22   #28
hoot72
Guerrilla

There are so many new devices coming out nowdays from everyone from Garmin, to Suunto, to Polar to whoever...you really do need to spend time researching which suits you.

Man o Man.

Not easy to find maps of Borneo and in particular Sabah.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:43   #29
peepee1
BANNED USER

I just bought a Garmin Colorado 400T and LOVE it! I also have a Rino 520 for backup.
peepee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 19:39   #30
DumbFISTer
Asset

GARMIN MAPS, the 101 & 60 Series

Lurp,

I'm a Fire Supporter & I need to have the most accurate grid I can to get 1st round hits. I have both a Fortrex 101 & a 60 Series which work great, but I HAVE to use a DAGR for targeting purposes. The Garmins are only for SA & Navigation.

I use the Foretrex 101 because YOU CAN CHANGE THE BATTERIES in the the field! The 201 requires you to recharge the unit. I leave mine on continuous & the batteries tend to last 18 to 20 hours with lithiums.

I use the 60 Series in my truck to link into a laptop with mIRC, PSS-SOF, my Rover & use the Moving Map function on Falcon View. Obviously, I have to use an external antenna but this setup is excellent for what I have to be able to do.

You can also tie any Garmin into Falcon View & upload Fire Support Coordination Measures, TRPs, Targets, etc. into the unit. That saves me a ton of time screwing with WPs & I know I have good data in my unit. Topo Maps are available through the map geeks. They're around for the CENTCOM AOR (I forget the website...it's not NGA but on sipr) & most units will load these maps.

Personally, even though I carry a DAGR for targeting & using my laser (if I carry it) I have never had any issue with my civ GPS. As for the strap on the 101, I replaced the standard wrist strap with an elastic band with velcro on the end...no biggie.

Hope this helps bro. By the way...in case you weren't aware, DO NOT use a civilian GPS for targeting purposes. There is no way of encrypting the unit & it can be Spoofed. We DO occasionally use NAVWAR & intentionally throw off the civilian GPS locations. Keep that in mind.
DumbFISTer is offline   Reply With Quote