Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Egypt's Islamists claim sweep of second round vote

Egypt's Islamists claim sweep of second round vote

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BH0MK20111218

".........A source from the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) said it was on track to win about 40 percent of votes for party lists, based on results from most districts.

A spokesman for the ultra-conservative Salafi al-Nour Party said its list received about 35 percent of votes.............."

You get what you vote for - and what they are getting appears to be what the majority wants.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:49   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Egypt Islamists take two-thirds of 2nd-round vote

Egypt Islamists take two-thirds of 2nd-round vote

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BN0C620111224

The count is out and between the two Islamist parties they only got 65% of the vote. Now the vote moves into the more conservative rural areas.

"(Reuters) - Egypt's two leading Islamist parties won about two-thirds of votes for party lists in the second round of polling for a parliament that will help draft a new constitution after decades of autocratic rule, the election committee said Saturday.

The party list led by the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) won 36.3 percent of the list vote, while the ultra-conservative Salafi al-Nour Party took 28.8 percent, pushing the liberal Wafd party into third place...................."
Old 12-26-2011, 05:31   #3
DevilSide
Guerrilla

Who's voting exactly?

I wasn't expecting the people of Egypt, after the recent events, to let an ultra-conservative party into power.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSide View Post
Who's voting exactly?

I wasn't expecting the people of Egypt, after the recent events, to let an ultra-conservative party into power.
You must have been listening to the POTUS and MSM.

Pretty much every SF guy here predicted this outcome.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:26   #5
DevilSide
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
You must have been listening to the POTUS and MSM.

Pretty much every SF guy here predicted this outcome.

TR
And that's why I read the news here first.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:35   #6
Box
Quiet Professional

I am surprised they even bothered to hold elections...

...it just means they had to put forth an effort to fix the elections.

just my two cents, I could be wrong
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Not fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
.........it just means they had to put forth an effort to fix the elections.

just my two cents, I could be wrong
Not fixed. That's the way they are voting.

No matter what an Individual Muslim or small group of Muslims say - the majority are more than happy to live under Sharia Law - and make you live under it also.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55   #8
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Not fixed. That's the way they are voting.

No matter what an Individual Muslim or small group of Muslims say - the majority are more than happy to live under Sharia Law - and make you live under it also.
I still say that the "Radical Islamists", are the ones that want to live and get along with us!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Speaking of voting

Speaking of voting

The third round should be ending today. I've kept an eye out for stories of this last round of voting but NPR, CNN and the BBC seem to be dry holes. Even the Israel News and Jerusalem Post seem a bit dry.

Anybody find a story about this third round - throw up the link.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

I did find one

Well lookie here, I did find one......

And it's about our old friend Jimmy giving his stamp of approval to another election.

Carter 'pleased' with Egyptian polls

http://news.yahoo.com/carter-pleased...165242053.html

".............Egypt's two main Islamist parties have scored a crushing victory in the seats declared so far, reflecting a regional trend since Arab Spring uprisings overthrew authoritarian secular regimes.

Asked about Islamists coming to power, Carter said: "I have no problem with that. The US government has no problem with that either."....................."
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Asked about Islamists coming to power, Carter said: "I have no problem with that. The US government has no problem with that either."....................."
Sometimes I wish that guy would just walk out on the ice...

Courtesy of the AP in Cairo (extract):
Their triumph has come at the expense of liberal and left-leaning parties and youth groups behind Mubarak's ouster who have since been calling for the military to immediately step down.

At the same time, the military has been waging an increasingly violent crackdown on antimilitary protesters. Last week, soldiers raided 10 non-governmental organizations promoting democracy, including three American groups, raising sharp criticism from Washington.

On Tuesday, the State Department resumed its criticism, saying the military had not carried out promises to stop harassment and return computers and documents confiscated from the groups. "It is, frankly, unacceptable to us that that situation has not been returned to normal," spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

"Non-governmental organizations, particularly those who support democracy and a free election process are key part of what the transition to democracy is about," she said, adding that, "We seem to have some Mubarak holdovers in the government who don't seem to understand how these organizations operate in a democratic society and are putting out lots of disinformation about them."

The Brotherhood has denied having any deal with the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, the group of generals that took power after Mubarak's ouster.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 16:20   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

72%

Islamists Win Large Majority in Egypt

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/151953

Muslim Brotherhood's party has 47% of votes, Salafi party has 25%.

"Islamist parties won a large majority of the votes in Egypt's election to parliament, held Saturday.

The Head of the Election Committee said that the Freedom and Justice party, which represents the Muslim Brothers in Egypt, received 47% of the total vote, and Al Nour, a hard-line Salafist party, has another 25%.

The Muslim Brotherhood is expected to receive 235 seats out of the 498 seats in Parliament. Al Nour will receive 121 seats.................................."

72%? That's a lot of % if you ask me.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:55   #13
Pete
Quiet Professional

Egypt's Islamist parties win elections to parliament

Egypt's Islamist parties win elections to parliament

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16665748

A little longer wrap up of this portion of the elections. The new assembly sits on Monday and names a speaker. Fun begins by June.

"..........A new president is due to be elected by June under the timetable set by Egypt's military rulers.

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo says that while the Muslim Brotherhood appear to be finally on the brink of power it is still the president who chooses the government - so the winners of this election do not automatically take office................."

Anybody taking bets on the president being a moderate or secular person? Thought not.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47   #14
wmaousley
Asset

They took the majority because of no opposition in upper Egypt. What else should be expected?
wmaousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 22:27   #15
blue902
Asset

As always, the locals are aware of the goings on- Listen for al Foutouh to get stepped on, the power bloc to mention some new arrangement with the SCAF, and most interesting might be whether the Brothers choose to openly reconnect with their kin in Israel and Jordan- whether Nours like it or not.

Everything between those 70% ers isn't gonna be friendly. Whoever wins that hair pulling contest, it's going to happen.
blue902 is offline   Reply With Quote