Old 01-27-2007, 20:11   #1
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Moving to Bragg...Where to live?

Got hit with this question the other day... search here came up empty.

SFAS Select is moving to Bragg with family. Where should they live?

He wanted to avoid Fayetteville proper.

I advised to avoid Spring Lake. Go further North IVO Spout Springs, Cameron, Anderson Creek...

Also offered Raford as a nice alternative (affordable, close, and the Airport/DZ ).

Because I haven't lived on Bragg since 2004, wanted to see how much the area had changed...what guys currently in the area recommend...
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 21:38   #2
Snaquebite
Area Commander

I'd stay on the Raeford side...as for assistance I can hook him up with some realtor assistance if he wants. Her husband is retired SF.. Is he looking to buy or rent?

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 22:07   #3
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

I lived in Pinehurst while I worked at SWCS, wife worked in "the village"

In my opinion, for the area...........you cant beat the community, Moore County Schools, and Dugans Pub........

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Last edited by mffjm8509; 01-28-2007 at 07:18.
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:29   #4
Jim DeMatteo
Quiet Professional

Where to live

I own a house in Lake William area. It's on the South side of Raeford Road ,West of where Cliffdale Road connects to Raeford Road. I retired in 1995, but still have the house there. It's actually for sale or rent now. I liked that area when I was living there. There are several housing areas out that way towards Raeford. Check with Evans Realty. The owner is retired SF too.
Jim DeMatteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:58   #5
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

My son bought a home in Kings Grant and says that he likes the area and the traffic back and forth from post is not too bad.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:21   #6
Mav
Guerrilla

I highly recommend Southern Pines, Aberdeen, that area... it's not really a drive if you take Morganton (the other side) to King's Rd....

I live off of Raeford Rd right at the county lines.. and I really like the area.. lots of new houses going up and we're minutes from Raeford DZ and it takes about 15 minutes to get to post whether by Plank/Chicken or by Cliffdale/Reilly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPL Mick Bekowsky, USMC, 6 Sep 2004, Fallujah --- Never Forgotten
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:37   #7
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

+1 on Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst. Even though they are only on the other side of the training area, its as if Fort Bragg doenst exist out there. The main roads are not inundated with Pawn Shops, Sewing Shops and Golden Knight Thank You posters!

Depending on where you wind up, the drive can range from 20 to 40 minutes. Traffic usually isnt bad, and it gives you time to unwind and get rid of the office drama before you get home.

I lived in Aberdeen and could take Manchester or Plank/Chicken and it was 29-31 minutes either way, anytime of day.

School system is good and the Sheriff is pro military and will hack off on Transfers unlike Cumberland County!
Old 01-29-2007, 21:02   #8
SF18C
Quiet Professional

I live 25-30 minutes north of Bragg in Carolina Lakes…its past Spring Lake but not quite Sanford. I like it but it does take 30 minutes to get anywhere!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 22:11   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

If he can afford it, off the west end of post, Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Whispering Pines, etc.

Especially if he has kids and wife has a job skill.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 22:39   #10
jodem
Asset

Is there anywhere near Bragg that has travel trailer parks?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:27   #11
Pete
Quiet Professional

Price & School

Other than location, two things to consider are price and schools.

The counties around Ft Bragg are not nearly as bad as Wake county on shifting students around.

S/W Cumberland county is having a building explosion. Look for students from Jack Britt to start being moved around. East Hoke has a ton of new subdivisions going up. Typical Ranch with bonus room, 1,800-2,100 SF GLA, 7/3/2.5 and around $180,000 to $210,000. Look for schools to become an issue in that county also. Harnett County? Similar to Hoke County.

Find the general location you want to live in, check out the schools tied to that area and then use your price range to search for a home.

Buying a home for a 2 year stay at the Q Course and then having to sell is about on the edge for making any money. Some are having some success using militarybyowner.com and similar For Sale By Owner sites to save on the sales commission. Down side to that is marketing and legal help at closing.

As with all things, do your research to make an informed decision.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 18:07   #12
Dealer
Quiet Professional

Thanks

Thanks for all the quick posts, gentlemen (and thanks to Warrior-Mentor for posting the thread...I'll refer others). I like what I've found via militarybyowner.com (especially the fact that it's a military seller). Heading down there this weekend to look around.

I've been to FBNC plenty of times but never had to live off-post.

Snaque: I am looking to buy. I'm hoping that the forthcoming BRAC population surge drives demand and allows for some property appreciation. Otherwise I will just keep for an investment property. Contact info for your realtor contact would be much appreciated.
Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 18:19   #13
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Dealer let me know when you will be at Bragg and I'll get in touch with my contact.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14   #14
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Dealer

DO HAVE TO HAVE Broadband Service for the net?? If so, this will or could drive where you will buy. Outside of Cumberland county it's hard to get cable BB. FYI.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:18   #15
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Actually it's not as bad as it used to be. Broadband (Sprint) is available where I live in Hoke county and Cable just started installing last month. Time Warner finally took over in Hoke county from Adelphi. I live off 401 out past Wayside Drive.

"De Oppresso Liber"