Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-22-2017, 08:57   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
DNA Test from 23andMe ??

Curiosity finally got me, I gave in and took the DNA test from 23andMe..

Results are about what I expected.. High North Western Europe percentage. Irish, Scotch, Swed..

Did miss on one, was always told my Mom's dad, Prosper Mazziott, was 100% Italian,, but only had a 2.1% hit??

The Neanderthal markers were what I expected,, BUT you probably already know that?? ..

Has anyone, that took the test, tried to contact the suggested relatives?? They think I have several 1st cousins,, never heard of them..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JCJ DNA 01.jpg (51.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg JJ_Roots01.jpg (34.2 KB, 124 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:05   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

I have been in contact with a distant cousin just 50 miles from where I live. The funny thing it is his wife whom I am not a blood relative of who is the genealogist not him. She was able to fill in the blanks back to 1755 in Scotland. I had no surprises.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I have been in contact with a distant cousin just 50 miles from where I live. The funny thing it is his wife whom I am not a blood relative of who is the genealogist not him. She was able to fill in the blanks back to 1755 in Scotland. I had no surprises.
I might have to try a contact,, or several???

With all the Irish in my family, we weren't very productive of late. On my father's side, my G-pa had 6 brothers and sisters, 4 never had kids. Myself and one other cuz are all that survive, I am the only Johnson left.. On my Mom's side only three survive. Given that most were in their late 70t's to mid 80t's when they passed,, we have a Strange family..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:56   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I took the test too, came back pure Neanderthal.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:57   #5
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
LOL....So does that mean you walk around with a club in your hand, wearing animal skin skimpy bottoms, and have a large cranial capacity? Man, that's way too Sexy.....Ha......

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 13:40   #6
FILO
Guerrilla

The wife gave me the test as a gift. I'm 99.99 Northern European of which nearly .50% is English and Irish. The rest is a mix of German-French-Scandanavian with .01 Sardinian. I'm guessing the long lost Sardinian was part of the legion that came across the channel with Ceasar. I think the test is cool and actually confirmed much of what I knew about my background. I haven't tried reaching out to extended family. Yes, I'm Neanderthal as well and can smell asparagus.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:49   #7
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, it would explain some of my behavior when I was younger.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:25   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

My daughter did it old school when she was in college and most lines faded away in the 1800's but she was able to trace my great grandparents on my mothers side back to their home town in Norway - we knew where they came from.

From that she was able to track - after getting used to how they named kids - back to the mid 1300's.

Couple of years ago she did 23andme without the DNA test and pushed that line back to 1152. Got one Swedish lady married into the family a few years after that.

She broke out her iPhone at supper last night and it was a hoot looking through the links. It confirmed what she had did the hard way but there were some surprises.

I knew my dad's mom was the German in the tree but her tree was also full of Norwegians.

My daughter and SIL did the DNA test a bit ago and are waiting on the results.

She was contacted by a descendant of my great grandfather's brother in Norway who sent her a bunch of family lore from the area.

Me and the wife are going to get it done.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:19   #9
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Long lost cousins we are?? Mine came back pure Hillbilly. Just an evolutionary branch of Neanderthal.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:57   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

Did it

Came back 63% Scandinavian and 36% NW European.

Less than 1% of other stuff.

Our family tree is heavy Scandinavian but some German on my father's mother's side of the tree.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 23:02   #11
Remington Raidr
Guerrilla

Now your just braggin.

Quote:
Says You
Remington Raidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 22:03   #12
mojaveman
Area Commander

Not ready to give a DNA sample to anyone yet but my brother did so:

Northwest European 53.3%

British Irish 26.7%
French German 15.2%
Scandinavian 1.4%
Finish .4%

Eastern European 38.5%

Southern European 4.8%
Balkan 1.1%
Iberian 1%

Sub Saharan African .1%

Last edited by mojaveman; 02-04-2019 at 11:14.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 18:47   #13
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Curiosity finally got me, I gave in and took the DNA test from 23andMe..

Results are about what I expected.. High North Western Europe percentage. Irish, Scotch, Swed..

Did miss on one, was always told my Mom's dad, Prosper Mazziott, was 100% Italian,, but only had a 2.1% hit??

The Neanderthal markers were what I expected,, BUT you probably already know that?? ..

Has anyone, that took the test, tried to contact the suggested relatives?? They think I have several 1st cousins,, never heard of them..

So doing some research into my own family tree led me to look for an answer that my father in law answered a retired professor but before that a molecular geneticist Phd in a cancer research institute....my mother is Swedish but my dads 1/4 native American which does not show up in DNA test for myself or himself so I had to ask to confirm my own research.....it was explained in laymans terms for me their are 2 main DNA types tested by these companies the Y-DNA, and the MtDNA as laid out in a link analysis it looks like this a man hands down the Y-DNA directly from father to son only that will only pass down to his son and so forth not from his daughter to her sons the daughter will only pass own the fathers Y within the G-nome but the Y will come from that childs father the MtDNA will only pass down from the mother to the daughter and to that daughters daughter and so forth. My daughters will and do have many Swedish characteristics and physical traits but none carry her Mt so Swedish or Native would never show up in their tests.

My Fathers mothers, father his grandfather the only one he knew was a full blooded Indian off a reservation but since it was his mother father their is no Y or Mt passed on from him and will never show in a Y or a Mt test the only way to prove this is the G-nome of an individual would need to be decoded to find out the truetraits that make us...us. My Gmother looked like a blue eyed Indian and my father though blonde as a kid started to take on some of his grandfathers physical characteristics of being Indian....but no matter how true it is their is no way to prove through DNA he shares the same DNA without the Gnome his own native heritage will be unknown.....going off the Y my surname is deeply rooted in the Viking gene.

What these tests boils down to is a bigger mystery given the Y goes from your father to his to his and so on and your Mt goes from your mother to her mother and so on but what is not seen in these tests without the Gnome being tore apart are the generations that are not in your direct Y or Mt lines which is most of our DNA which doubles every generation back the parents the 4 grandparents the 8 great grandparents then 16-32-64-128-256-512-1024 and so on....10 generations back you will have 1024 direct descendants of just those 10 generations only 10 men in the fathers direct line will share the Y and 10 women in a females direct line will share the Mt in the 10th generation to the direct female that leaves in every generation unaccounted for majority DNA so if we add up all the direct descendants minus the Y and Mt we end up with 20 out of 2032 and 2012 descendants heredity unknown by those tests.

Autosomal DNA is the new stuff and that is what the data bases are going to to do what they claim to do and that is to connect subscribers to relatives in a broader sense as in anyone who shares DNA....the father and the mother pass down DNA to a child in which the new DNA of the child will go through a recombination which allows us the differences between siblings as each will have its own recombination-ed DNA to allow for uniqueness as in traits physical, personality and responses to external stimuli etc....(The first steps of genetic drift and evolution sort-of how it starts out) essentially it is a more complete picture of your heredity as it will link you outwards to distant cousins in the same family tree but not just in the linear all the way back MtDNA for example will stay unchanged for up to 200 generations the Mt or Y. In my case the Autosomal tests would reveal the ancestors missing in the Mt and the Y (the majority) at least back a few generations but again it would take a reverse engineering of the G-nome to unlock the complete data.

copied
50% (parents and siblings)
25% (grandparents, aunts/uncles, half-siblings, double first-cousins)
12.5% (first cousins)
6.25% (first cousins, once removed)
3.125 (second cousins, first cousins twice removed)
0.781% (third cousins)
0.195% (fourth cousins)

Depending on the complexity of your DNA if your family tree goes in a straight lie that would leave your DNA relatively untouched and the recombination effect very little impact in comparison and therefore the tests would go farther back in generations....however the heinz 57 all american will not be able to go back very far due to the recombination no longer carry certain DNA from ancestors. I think something to remember in these things is how new the science is and how many humans have existed prior.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 05-22-2018 at 21:25.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:29   #14
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
So doing some research into my own family tree led me to look for an answer that my father in law answered a retired professor but before that a molecular geneticist Phd in a cancer research institute....my mother is Swedish but my dads 1/4 native American which does not show up in DNA test for myself or himself so I had to ask to confirm my own research.....it was explained in laymans terms for me their are 2 main DNA types tested by these companies the Y-DNA, and the MtDNA as laid out in a link analysis it looks like this a man hands down the Y-DNA directly from father to son only that will only pass down to his son and so forth not from his daughter to her sons the daughter will only pass own the fathers Y within the G-nome but the Y will come from that childs father the MtDNA will only pass down from the mother to the daughter and to that daughters daughter and so forth. My daughters will and do have many Swedish characteristics and physical traits but none carry her Mt so Swedish or Native would never show up in their tests.

My Fathers mothers, father his grandfather the only one he knew was a full blooded Indian off a reservation but since it was his mother father their is no Y or Mt passed on from him and will never show in a Y or a Mt test the only way to prove this is the G-nome of an individual would need to be decoded to find out the truetraits that make us...us. My Gmother looked like a blue eyed Indian and my father though blonde as a kid started to take on some of his grandfathers physical characteristics of being Indian....but no matter how true it is their is no way to prove through DNA he shares the same DNA without the Gnome his own native heritage will be unknown.....going off the Y my surname is deeply rooted in the Viking gene.

What these tests boils down to is a bigger mystery given the Y goes from your father to his to his and so on and your Mt goes from your mother to her mother and so on but what is not seen in these tests without the Gnome being tore apart are the generations that are not in your direct Y or Mt lines which is most of our DNA which doubles every generation back the parents the 4 grandparents the 8 great grandparents then 16-32-64-128-256-512-1024 and so on....10 generations back you will have 1024 direct descendants of just those 10 generations only 10 men in the fathers direct line will share the Y and 10 women in a females direct line will share the Mt in the 10th generation to the direct female that leaves in every generation unaccounted for majority DNA so if we add up all the direct descendants minus the Y and Mt we end up with 20 out of 2032 and 2012 descendants heredity unknown by those tests.

Autosomal DNA is the new stuff and that is what the data bases are going to to do what they claim to do and that is to connect subscribers to relatives in a broader sense as in anyone who shares DNA....the father and the mother pass down DNA to a child in which the new DNA of the child will go through a recombination which allows us the differences between siblings as each will have its own recombination-ed DNA to allow for uniqueness as in traits physical, personality and responses to external stimuli etc....(The first steps of genetic drift and evolution sort-of how it starts out) essentially it is a more complete picture of your heredity as it will link you outwards to distant cousins in the same family tree but not just in the linear all the way back MtDNA for example will stay unchanged for up to 200 generations the Mt or Y. In my case the Autosomal tests would reveal the ancestors missing in the Mt and the Y (the majority) at least back a few generations but again it would take a reverse engineering of the G-nome to unlock the complete data.

copied
50% (parents and siblings)
25% (grandparents, aunts/uncles, half-siblings, double first-cousins)
12.5% (first cousins)
6.25% (first cousins, once removed)
3.125 (second cousins, first cousins twice removed)
0.781% (third cousins)
0.195% (fourth cousins)

Depending on the complexity of your DNA if your family tree goes in a straight lie that would leave your DNA relatively untouched and the recombination effect very little impact in comparison and therefore the tests would go farther back in generations....however the heinz 57 all american will not be able to go back very far due to the recombination no longer carry certain DNA from ancestors. I think something to remember in these things is how new the science is and how many humans have existed prior.
I wonder if a Big-Y test on FtDNA might give you better answers on the Native American?
Old 05-23-2018, 14:02   #15
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
I wonder if a Big-Y test on FtDNA might give you better answers on the Native American?
No they can't the state of ability right now and the recombination of DNA every generation more than likely will not pick up a direct link the direct link is basically only useful if others are also doing their Y and Mt at which the Autosomal testing would make it possible to speak with known genetic relatives and look at their Y or Mt linkage......their are for me too many degrees of separation. My point is I know he was my GGF and that he was native american what tribe?? he was a child when taken and given a white mans name of George Washington Jordan from Oklahoma he had no sons so their will be no Y carrier that the Y was passed to. I was just passing on the reality of these tests they leave out most of your ancestry because they simply do not have the ability nor the data(DNA)of every person to link you too them....the companies are selling a product without the education to understand the complexity of DNA mapping the reason they are going to the Autosomal to simply link you with close to distant blood relatives as far out as a 4th or 5th cousin....filling in the gaps of the Y and Mt lines are on you and your relatives to do the testing and then you would need to link them up. As of right now an individual can only trace his Y and his Mt back for generations so if the NAZI's were looking for DNA proof of my Aryanism then according to the Y and Mt I am 100% Nordic but in reality.....my genealogy shows much more but myself and 8 siblings all inherited Nordic physical traits.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 05-23-2018 at 14:06.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote