Old 09-23-2007, 15:02   #1
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Machine Gun Shoot-Brush fire

We have a machine gun shoot every fall, it happen to be today from 12:00 to whenever the last guy decides to tear down his weaponry and leave for home. The usual suspects generally show up. Everything from suppressed Ruger .22 Rimfire pistols to tri-pod mounted full auto .50 cals, UZI's, MP5's and all varients of, suppressed pistols, carbines with fun buttons, etc. It's not Knob Creek, but darn enough close.

I only went this morning early at 10:30 to pick up an AR15 lower that I had another buddy install the VLTOR EMOD stock with Mil-Spec extension. Don't under any circumstances ever try this with Les Baer rifles. I mentioned that Les Baer had used a dab of lock tite on his rear retaining screw and the threads for the extension tube. When he handed it over to me he said "Les didn't put a dab of lock tite, he doused it in the freakin stuff. I had to heat it to get the damn thing unscrewed and use acetone to clean all of shit out of the threads" Ugggg

As we were standing under the homemade over hang in the shade he said to me " I hope none of these goofs decided to bring tracer rounds like the last time since we've had no rain and it's dry as hell" I lauphed a bit and we both rolled our eyes.

Every one sat up their machinery on the firing line. Tim, who owns the land gives every one some safety tips and then announces that suppressed weapons will be first to shoot since church down the road is taking place and @ 13:00 we'll start with big stuff and unsuppressed weapons. I left after shooting the LMT with Knights suppressor and through a couple mags through the Mk23 "SOCOM" Pistol with the SWR HEMS II suppressor.

My buddy just called rolling in lauphter..........................some idiot did in fact bring belts of tracer rounds for an M60A1 and the fire house was called to what started as a brush fire and now is a full out forest fire.

I asked if anyone had their E-Tools and he replied............"Most of these guy's still don't know what that is"

Just thought I'd share rather funny story with a lesson to be learned.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 15:07   #2
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Another Darwin Award candidate, decided to take his 50 BMG rifle out and shoot it. He had several friends to try it out too. We are still in fire seasons with signs posted on all highways. So this bone head uses tracers and set off a very good size fire.

http://www.itemizerobserver.com/ArcS...&StoryID=11079
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 15:47   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

And that is how we lose shooting rights and ranges.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 16:44   #4
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
And that is how we lose shooting rights and ranges.

TR
That is what exactly is happening here. A lot of the land is forested and owned by the timber companies. Not just shooting, crack labs, people dumping every imaginable item on their land and then add any risk from liability. I don't blame the timber companies putting up lock gates. The Idiot shooters are just as bad as the dumpers. They shoot up old computers, TV sets, etc.
Old 09-23-2007, 18:11   #5
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
That is what exactly is happening here. A lot of the land is forested and owned by the timber companies. Not just shooting, crack labs, people dumping every imaginable item on their land and then add any risk from liability. I don't blame the timber companies putting up lock gates. The Idiot shooters are just as bad as the dumpers. They shoot up old computers, TV sets, etc.
Same reason I wont let people hunt on my land anymore. I tried two times to be nice. I even write out a little contract. Making sure they under stand I am giving them permission. Not their extended family.
Both times it was abused and I had to close it down. Of course I am the one who is being unreasonable. Not the guy letting five kids walk around with Rifles. One even showed up on Sunday. Didn't bother me that it's illegal. Sunday is my day to Hunt.
It literally shocks me for a couple of seconds before I blow up. The way people feel that whats yours is mine. If you try to be a nice guy, they are going to walk all over you.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16   #6
prdubi
Asset

umm

The guy with the 50 that started a fire is a idiot and wasn't using just a tracer round.

HE WAS USING AN APIT ROUND!( Armored Piercing Incendiary Tracer)

Which is highly illegal from what I gathered.

I mean tracers...yeah....sometimes they light sometimes they do but APIT....come on....

the guy was using a 50 calier bolt rifle that he bought at the local Sportmans warehouse in Salem, Oregon.

Kinda sad but in the end, I am gradually finding out that gunowners are our worst enemy
prdubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:30   #7
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdubi View Post
The guy with the 50 that started a fire is a idiot and wasn't using just a tracer round.

I mean tracers...yeah....sometimes they light sometimes they do but APIT....come on....

the guy was using a 50 calier bolt rifle that he bought at the local Sportmans warehouse in Salem, Oregon.

Kinda sad but in the end, I am gradually finding out that gunowners are our worst enemy
APIT is not illegal in most free states. States with more restrictive laws such as California do restrict use/ownership of tracer/Incendiary/IT/APIT ammo. Coincidentally, all of these ammo types are fun to shoot under the right circumstances.

**ETA: there are some HE rounds out there such as the 50BMG Raufoss that I believe are restricted (not sure if Raufoss actually has enough HE to be classified a DD or not), but are periodically found on the secondary market in spite of this.****

Good times,
Blake

Last edited by Air.177; 09-25-2007 at 10:44.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:48   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

This sort of ignorance is not helping our cause. It leads to fear and compliance with non-existent laws.

API-T is legal in most places, just as Air .177 stated.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29   #9
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:

To add to it, we have the media photo, the 50 Cal round next to a 223. With the mentioning that the SO Deputies carry the 223.

I guess starting to pave the road to a 50 cal ban like the PDRC.
Old 09-25-2007, 22:41   #10
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
To add to it, we have the media photo, the 50 Cal round next to a 223. With the mentioning that the SO Deputies carry the 223.

I guess starting to pave the road to a 50 cal ban like the PDRC.
Idiots that abuse their .50 make great poster boys for idiots that run groups like this:

www.50CaliberTerror.com

I wish there was more thought put into legislation and less fear mongering.

McD
Old 09-26-2007, 04:48   #11
BrianH
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgedgoods View Post
I wish there was more thought put into legislation and less fear mongering.

McD
Ha!

"Reeeeeffffeeerr MAAADDDDNEESSSSSS"

Stand it like a man... and give some back.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote