Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 01-22-2007, 17:09   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Ammo with Flavor

For you Bird Hunters out there...sent to me by a friend who is an avid hunter...he says it works great....

http://www.seasonshot.com/About.cfm

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 18:49   #2
jasonglh
Guerrilla

First I thought maybe the website was a joke but if they can produce shot to bring down a gobbler I will try it. Still have tooth pain from my grandfathers half hearted attempt at removing buckshot from squirrel as a kid and spitting it in a cup. It didn't bother his false teeth as much as mine for some reason.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 21:01   #3
chance
Guerrilla Chief

SGM, that is awsome were do you find this good stuff all the time?
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 21:09   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Cool!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 21:31   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:23   #6
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Interesting novelty...

I do quite a bit of bird hunting, infact I'm going duck hunting on my club this weekend.

Serious bird hunters have gotten more particular about patterning, and lethality than not. Given that their FAQ sez that they'll pattern similiar to steel tells me that they won't be selling much of this stuff. They might go good with the black-eyed pea shotshells my uncle used to make that he'd dust nusiance dogs and daughters boyfriends with. He'd cut the top off a shotshell, dump peas into them and just put masking tape across them. They would definately leave some welts.
kachingchingpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:03   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachingchingpow
I do quite a bit of bird hunting, infact I'm going duck hunting on my club this weekend.

Serious bird hunters have gotten more particular about patterning, and lethality than not. Given that their FAQ sez that they'll pattern similiar to steel tells me that they won't be selling much of this stuff. They might go good with the black-eyed pea shotshells my uncle used to make that he'd dust nusiance dogs and daughters boyfriends with. He'd cut the top off a shotshell, dump peas into them and just put masking tape across them. They would definately leave some welts.
Funny, I always just used rocksalt.

First of all, last time I checked, the only game requiring steel shot are migratory waterfowl.

Second, the reason people did not want to switch from lead to steel was the reduced range and patterning issues associated with a less dense shot like steel. This had led to the introduction of shot denser than steel, like bismuth and tungsten based shot. Lighter shot equals less range and less penetration. Larger birds like duck, goose, and turkey are prety well armored.

Finally, I do not see anything that will dissolve at normal cooking temps and is non-toxic as denser than steel. In fact, I see a lot of missed shots and wounded birds from this, with a range well under 20 yards. I may be wrong, but I will have to see this work to believe it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:06   #8
Kyobanim

Maybe their next bullet will be made out of pork rinds

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 13:41   #9
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Talking

Of course the gourmand with a truely discriminating palate would make a duplex load of black-eyed peas, rock salt, and perhaps peppercorn.

Duplex loads don't pattern worth a damn either though. The rock salt would prolly blow right through the pepper and peas.
kachingchingpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:39   #10
kunf0002

Bob

Funny and useful.