Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 06-21-2011, 11:51   #16
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

A college degree does not make an Officer...anymore than weapons training turns one of them into an 18B.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37   #17
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

ACE Guide Still Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
If I recall correctly, when I was trying to get credit for army stuff, Missouri State University ran everything through a "American College Equivalency" (ACE) book. If the military course was in there, you got the prescribed credit. If not, too bad. I'm not sure if colleges still use this book/program. If they do, the trick will be to get all the cool schools to transfer to hours of specific, not elective, credit, as "Elective" credits don't get you very far on your way to a degree.
craigepo,

The ACE Military Guide (http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/) is still used by schools to translate courses from the military and other non-traditional learning into credits that fit into their system. ACE has done a decent job fitting military schools into neat little transferable packages for college advisors (complete with descriptions of what the student actually did at the school), but not everything will get you college credits.

In addition, just because the ACE manual says you should get "X credits in lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category" doesn't mean the school will award it. As a former MP, I was told by my school's education department that my military training was "hands on" while the criminal justice taught at this school was "classroom" and they couldn't transfer the multiple schools I had attended. After working with an advisor (who was a vet), he was able to correlate much of my military training into general criminal justice and leadership credits, saving me a semester.

HTH

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 14:54   #18
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
A college degree does not make an Officer...anymore than weapons training turns one of them into an 18B.
What credits could I get for advanced SERE, or ASOT III, IV? Jokingly of course!
Old 06-21-2011, 19:03   #19
hotshot
Quiet Professional

The AA is from FTCC, which is a nationally accredited institution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
This is a really big deal. I am very proud that SWC has done this for the guys.

When I got out, language proficiency transferred a few credits(not the school surprisingly), other schools kept me from having to take PE classes. Otherwise, all that army time didn't do much in regards to college credit.

I realize that this program is in its infancy. The tough part of getting this idea going will be accreditation. North Carolina schools will be an easier sell, as this will be a money-maker for schools there. Getting credit from colleges and universities in the other 49 states (where a lot of guys will PCS to) will be a different beast.

If I recall correctly, when I was trying to get credit for army stuff, Missouri State University ran everything through a "American College Equivalency" (ACE) book. If the military course was in there, you got the prescribed credit. If not, too bad. I'm not sure if colleges still use this book/program. If they do, the trick will be to get all the cool schools to transfer to hours of specific, not elective, credit, as "Elective" credits don't get you very far on your way to a degree.

Nonetheless, MG Sacolick and everybody working on this program just earned major cool points.
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 21:01   #20
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Believe it or not, SERE is actually ACE evaluated.

x/S
Old 06-21-2011, 23:17   #21
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
Believe it or not, SERE is actually ACE evaluated.

x/S
Let me guess, credits for Civil Engineer for constructing shelter, Biology for water contaminate pathogens, etc., Communications for negotiating with Cadre. Anatomy/Physiology,....
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58   #22
PaladinJim
Asset

The DLI has a similar setup. With a few math and science credits, they can award an associate's degree at graduation. I know this applies to me as a 35p recruit. Is it the same for the SF language pipeline?
PaladinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:04   #23
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinJim View Post
The DLI has a similar setup. With a few math and science credits, they can award an associate's degree at graduation. I know this applies to me as a 35p recruit. Is it the same for the SF language pipeline?
If you would have read the first post, you wouldn't be asking this question.

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 18:10   #24
PaladinJim
Asset

What I mean to ask was, did SF soldiers get college credit for DLI courses before this program, given that they go through things a little differently. After re-reading I realize it's irrelevant since the program is already in effect. Apologies.
PaladinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24   #25
ODA 226
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lrrp View Post
The 1st day of class, My German teacher asked a question in German of the whole class...I answered her in German and she asked me where I had learned it. I replied that I had learned it as a child from our German maid, that I took German for four years in HS and that I had attended DLI to learn German. She exercised her perogative as the German Department Chair, and gave me 16 semester hours of credit. I completed MPC in one year!

MIKE
Mike,
I had a very similar experience but I was kicked out of the class when I told the professor I was a German DLI graduate!
Craig
Old 06-24-2011, 06:36   #26
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Really sounds like a great idea,only wish some thing like that was available when I was originally in service............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 16:23   #27
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

IF managed properly I can't see any downside.

Big IF though.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote