Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 05-23-2012, 16:52   #1
MR2
Quiet Professional

Female Soldiers Sue U.S. in Challenge to Combat Limits

Female Soldiers Sue U.S. in Challenge to Combat Limits
By Tom Schoenberg, David Lerman and Sara Forden - May 23, 2012 3:35 PM MT

Two female soldiers asked a federal judge to throw out the U.S. military’s restrictions on women in combat, claiming the policy violates their constitutional rights.

U.S. Army reservists Jane Baldwin and Ellen Haring, in a lawsuit filed today in Washington, said policies excluding them from assignments “solely because they are women” violate their right to equal protection guaranteed by the Constitution’s 5th Amendment. The complaint names Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Army Secretary John McHugh as defendants.

“This limitation on plaintiffs’ careers restricts their current and future earnings, their potential for promotion and advancement, and their future retirement benefits,” the women said in the complaint filed by Christopher Sipes of Covington & Burling LLP in Washington.

The Pentagon in February announced a change in policy that opened more than 14,000 additional positions to women across the armed services, most of them in the Army. Still, it stopped short of allowing women to serve in so-called ground combat assignments, including special forces and long range reconnaissance operations.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...at-policy.html

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 16:59   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

All well and good until females start getting dead in large numbers.
Old 05-23-2012, 17:06   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Well...I pooped today.

If it works, don't fix it.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 17:19   #4
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Well...I pooped today.

If it works, don't fix it.

And so it goes...

Richard
Am I misunderstanding, or do you actually believe the education system is working as it should?
Old 05-23-2012, 17:25   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Am I misunderstanding, or do you actually believe the education system is working as it should?
Huh? I thought this thread was about the roles of women in combat and the push to change them.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 17:26   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Huh? I thought this thread was about the roles of women in combat and the push to change them.

Richard
I...I...I

Cross thread points?
Old 05-24-2012, 00:38   #7
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Tell me if I'm wrong. But is the "thrust" of this thread to discuss ramifications of females, playing an up close and personal role with our "hardest" of our our "hard core" front line fieldsoldiers, namely - SF and Ranger?

If so, either things have dramitically changed, or our current batch of young SF have gone "soft".

Back in the day, the ugliest of the ugly, could completly derailed the best of our "hard Core" best with nothing more than a half-ass smile and being co located in the same grid square.

So how the he'll is it going to work by mixing in some hard core gals with our young troops?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:11   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
All well and good until females start getting dead in large numbers.
Exactly..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I dunno, I dig women with guns.......
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22   #10
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I dunno, I dig women with guns.......
You mean like these?............

Big Teddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solder Test.jpg (88.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg What Caliber..........jpg (10.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Lady Snipers........jpg (69.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Needs Vetting.jpg (55.1 KB, 117 views)
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47   #11
tunanut
Guerrilla

The phrase "be careful what you ask for" comes to mind.
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59   #12
PRB
Quiet Professional

"All well and good until females start getting dead in large numbers."

I once thoght this would be the case but I don't think so anymore.
We've had females captured, killed, seriously maimed (and in Wounded Warrior commercials legless etc) and the public has accepted this almost without issue.
No public outcry about any female aspect to KIA's.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 13:07   #13
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
"All well and good until females start getting dead in large numbers."

I once thoght this would be the case but I don't think so anymore.
We've had females captured, killed, seriously maimed (and in Wounded Warrior commercials legless etc) and the public has accepted this almost without issue.
No public outcry about any female aspect to KIA's.
Not yet, and I hope you're right.

We'll see if, God forbid, female casualties approach the rate of males.
Old 05-25-2012, 16:11   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

What do you do when your squad deploys short three riflemen, and two of the remaining ones get pregnant?

One thing you can guarantee is that will never happen in a all-male infantry unit, and there will be a lot fewer harassment and discrimination complaints as well.

Too bad no one will tell the survivors of SPC Snuffy that he died when his 110 lb. battle buddy who couldn't pass the same APFT couldn't drag his ass to cover.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:52   #15
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
“This limitation on plaintiffs’ careers restricts their current and future earnings, their potential for promotion and advancement, and their future retirement benefits,” the women said in the complaint filed by Christopher Sipes of Covington & Burling LLP in Washington.
There is no difference in retirement benefits. how does your current job limit your earnings. There is no special pay for combat troops as opposed to support troops.

Have they been smoking some of the Hashish that my Afghans are?

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote