Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 01-03-2012, 18:09   #16
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I thought about that after posting, let me re-phrase that. It isn't as likely that you (going solo) will take a plane down with a knife, but if you have 3-5 trained accomplices to assist it has been proven to work..
Old 01-03-2012, 19:35   #17
caveman
Guerrilla

Perhaps I should have posted my comment in pink. I thought it unnecessary.
Old 01-03-2012, 19:57   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
He is either stockpiling and finally got caught. Or somebody played a very bad joke on him.
Exactly, and he, as well as his family, are about to get a great big proctoscopic exam.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 20:02   #19
Snaquebite
Area Commander

If he was stockpiling why would he be bringing it TO Bragg? I think he's just a dumbass that slipped through the system.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 20:16   #20
BigWave
Asset

I'm with you Paslode; Take down a plane or no, a knife being found by TSA is not the same thing as C-4. At least the explosive was not in his underwear or his shoe. :roll eyes:

Seriously, the "real world" will look upon this as an aberration; a poor decision, possibly psychologically induced due to PTSD from years of extreme duty and the recent tour, or, at worst, a criminal act by a psychologically damaged mind. Regardless, for rational people, this is not an act that reflects negatively on the Special Forces community. This is an individual act, committed by an individual, that will be dealt with accordingly by civilian and military authorities as necessary. It is not an act of Special Forces, Ft. Bragg, JFK Special Warfare Center, or anything or anyone else, period. Anyone who tries to make it anything else, and there will be those people, are on a witch hunt and should be dealt with accordingly.

I wish his command the best.

For the Soldiers...

Rest in Peace, Sev, Big Teddy

Non, décidément, on ne tue pas les mouches à coups de marteau (We definitely don't kill flies with hammers).

-- Marcel Bigeard; found in Stathis Kalyvas, The Logic of Violence in Civil Wars

Last edited by BigWave; 01-03-2012 at 20:24.
BigWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:02   #21
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Sad story......

Hate to see one of our Elite (I'm saying Elite because he was SF, not his character or actions here) throw it all away for any reason. At least TSA caught it.....eventually, scary what does get through though. My flight attendant found 3 .22 rounds in a seat back pocket last week.

I know a few rounds is nothing compared to this, but really makes you wonder how much stuff gets through that we'll never hear about.

Mike
mdpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41   #22
tunanut
Guerrilla

At least he didn't have an ignition source, he can just pleed dumbass and take what's coming. No ill intentions, just a major brain fart.
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44   #23
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWave View Post
Seriously, the "real world" will look upon this as an aberration; a poor decision, possibly psychologically induced due to PTSD from years of extreme duty and the recent tour, or, at worst, a criminal act by a psychologically damaged mind. Regardless, for rational people, this is not an act that reflects negatively on the Special Forces community. This is an individual act, committed by an individual, that will be dealt with accordingly by civilian and military authorities as necessary. It is not an act of Special Forces, Ft. Bragg, JFK Special Warfare Center, or anything or anyone else, period. Anyone who tries to make it anything else, and there will be those people, are on a witch hunt and should be dealt with accordingly.

I wish his command the best.
Shit happens.

I did similar myself, once, a year or two ago. Long drive and having a good time sight seeing on the way back home with the kids. I failed to notice the signs posted 'No Firearms' and I forgot all about something under the seat.

By the time it dawned on me....all I could do was smile, stay calm and hope I didn't get directed to the search lane.

Hopefully this was just a outta sight, outta mind incident for this Soldier.
Old 01-04-2012, 15:59   #24
BigWave
Asset

With you again and my apologies Paslode, I did not mean to sound too harsh; just meant to say that this should not reflect upon SF as a unit or on the other warriors of SF as individuals.

Right on, shit happens. Flew round trip from Houston to Boston with a handful of .22 rounds in my hunting jacket that I wore onto the plane. Apparently, I never took them out after my last squirrel hunt of the season before. I was fortunate enough that the TSA did not catch it. If they had, I may have had more than just "Dumbass" stamped across my forehead.

Take care.

For the Soldiers...

Rest in Peace, Sev, Big Teddy

Non, décidément, on ne tue pas les mouches à coups de marteau (We definitely don't kill flies with hammers).

-- Marcel Bigeard; found in Stathis Kalyvas, The Logic of Violence in Civil Wars
BigWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:44   #25
Pete
Quiet Professional

M112

An M112 Block of C4 is 1"x2"x11" and weighs 1 1/4 lbs.

Two of those would be 2"x2"x11" and weigh 2 1/2 lbs.

A full 1 qt canteen weighs slightly over 2.2 lbs.

How many of you would pick up your AWOL bag and not notice a full canteen in it?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:07   #26
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

http://www.oaoa.com/articles/charges...ss-motion.html
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 16:16   #27
cbtengr
Area Commander

Thanks for the update, it would have been a shame to see him prosecuted.
Old 02-19-2012, 20:03   #28
Sarski

So basically a CTO. Hopefully this isn't a career breaker; seems the SGT has an impressive enough record to sway the investigation in his favor. Now if only the CO back at Ft. Bragg will go as easy, but I can only speculate this will probably not be the case.
Old 02-19-2012, 20:37   #29
Richard
Quiet Professional

Hmmmm...with "experts" like this...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 13:53   #30
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

It got fixed.

Yes, even I have carried through airport security unknowing myself.

This Soldier was cleared of charges (Thank God).

I bet he does not do it again.
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote