Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 06-23-2014, 18:09   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

SAM Junctional Tourniquet

New Tourniquet Helps Save Soldiers from Most ‘Common Cause of Preventable Death’

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...entable-death/

I'm no medic, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn express. But this looks like an awesome system. Seems a lot easier than what we have been having to do.

Here is the YouTube video if the article vid doesn't open.

http://youtu.be/xwS5jGN3CMA

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 13:21   #2
11Ber
Quiet Professional

The placement doesn't need to be perfect but you need some knowledge of underlying anatomy or at least the ability to detect the iliac pulses. It is bulky and has some plastic pieces but it is another chance to steal life from the jaws of death.
11Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 18:55   #3
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Prediction: With the phenomenal advancements in hemostatic agent technology, tourniquet technology will become obsolete - JMHO.
Old 06-25-2014, 15:18   #4
SF Candidate

This product has the added bonus of use as a pelvic splint.
44025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 16:58   #5
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44025 View Post
This product has the added bonus of use as a pelvic splint.
It's not any thing close to being an adequate pelvic splint.... I have played with this device for over 6 months and a splint it's not......stick with other options for appropriate pelvic closure.
As far as the high femoral compression.......I have been using it with our SWAT team in the shoot house and square range under " adverse" circumstances and will tell you that is is not fast, easy or 100% reliable interms of placement and stopping flow (I taped a Doppler to the lower extremity/ foot to check for pulsatile flow). If you have a cold zone, plenty of time and relatively good circumstances, then I can get it placed better and more reliably.
It's just another tool, one that may stop more 'proximal' bleeding of the distal iliac artery/vein or femorals (based on location) but like anything else, having options is the best bet for success.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 22:01   #6
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
It's not any thing close to being an adequate pelvic splint.... I have played with this device for over 6 months and a splint it's not......stick with other options for appropriate pelvic closure.
As far as the high femoral compression.......I have been using it with our SWAT team in the shoot house and square range under " adverse" circumstances and will tell you that is is not fast, easy or 100% reliable interms of placement and stopping flow (I taped a Doppler to the lower extremity/ foot to check for pulsatile flow). If you have a cold zone, plenty of time and relatively good circumstances, then I can get it placed better and more reliably.
It's just another tool, one that may stop more 'proximal' bleeding of the distal iliac artery/vein or femorals (based on location) but like anything else, having options is the best bet for success.

ss
Thanks a lot for the input SS!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 23:35   #7
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Do you guys carry a KED? I found it works well in the field for pedi backboard and hip fx. on adults when turned upside down. I never used it for its intended purpose ie car extraction.
Don't carry a KED... No room, no obvious need . A fully stocked ALS unit is 1-2 blocks away usually. Thought about one or a 1/2 back board in the BEAR but still haven't justified the need. Believe it or not, the discussion of one centered around the K-9 having to be rescued or carried out

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote