Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 02-14-2009, 11:08   #16
crash
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

Ah, cool thanks for the pic; all I could ever find where pics of the outside, or super small inside photos.

How deep are the two back pouches? Is the interiour pouches all velcro like the M-9?

I'd love to be able to run over the Grey Group and take a look, but maybe on R&R. Paraclete makes nice stuff, not to sure about the $ on this though, a little steep. Then again it would probably out live me...
Old 02-14-2009, 11:19   #17
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Our SF medics used the M9 medical bags in OIF and loved them. Based upon that, I ordered two for my SWAT Team.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:40   #18
justanotherdude
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrngr View Post
Just my .02cents.

I (and most of the medics in my Company) run with an M9 bag & the TT First Responder Bag.
Are you wearing the TT FRB around the waist or strapped on top of the M9? I'd be interested to hear more about this setup and what you are packing in each bag.

I had 5 of them, they just showed up at one point . I was a bit dissapointed, even after packing them a few ways (*extremely* small cubes, very mission specific, perhaps iso 2-4 guys). If you were to carry the TSSI M9 for general purpose (which it was never designed for), it'd be a terrible choice. You'd need A) the guys you're supporting to carry a fat ass IFAK and you purely carry ADVANCED tactical field care items in the M9 B) another bag or pouches on it C) medevac overhead D) the truck right outside with your serious kit in it. Even then, it's not for most. Without overloading yourself, the larger your bag is the more you can handle the full spectrum of pre-hospital treatment. For me the common sense test is "why not just carry my eagle A-III?"

From smallest to largest my aidbags are; the TT FRB for a 1st line bag (also clips to the top or back of an assault pack), the TSSI M4 small but surprisingly roomy (can be worn on the hips, fastex'ed or shoulder strapped, even dropped in a large assault pack like the Eagle Airborne Large), the TT M5/Eagle A-III Medical (clipped to the top of a ruck), and the Blackhawk STOMP2/LBT Training & Coverage (platform bag).

I feel that I can get done 90% of what anyone asks me to do with the Eagle A-III medical, depending how I pack it. I keep it loaded on the heavy side, if I feel like it's too heavy it takes all of 5 minutes to lighten it up. I take things out in multiples. I.e., ace and gauze come out in pairs, a TQ for every 2 ace/gauze but never less than 3, I would drop 1 of the hespan kits, et al. You can take a bag like the eagle, pack it with the same packing list as the M9, cinch it down and voila, almost as small. But at the same time you can go big with it.

I make it a rule to wear the TT FRB as often as I can, even when in vehicles (just takes some getting used to). I like the piece of mind that I will always have the basics on my body, to buy time for the cax until evacuation or I can get to my more capable bags.

All in all I look at my bag like a list of capabilities. Whatever capability I don't have I am relying on evacuation to treat. The capability I don't have best not kill my cax (or cause irreversible death) within however long it takes to get them evacuated. Before the mission you should have your PACE. E. g., Primary - Air Medeva,c Alternate - Air Casevac, Contigency - Ground Casevac, Emergency Ground Medevac. A then you tack a worst case scenario time to each option. After that I do a quick review of my "capabilities" to see if what I'm carrying supports all those things in addition to the medical threat, enemy weapons, METT-TC, et al.

No hijack intended. I know I'm preaching to the choir. Just my .02.

Dan
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36   #19
doc_robalt
Asset

Camelbak with M9 Bag

I've been running with the M9 Bag now for most of my deployment here in Afghanistan, but found one major problem. That is the lack of capability it has with a camelbak or any other type of hydration bladder. Ive tried attaching it directly to the bag, but when I do that it makes the bag a little on the heavy side especially when using the clips and it also impedes the ability to fully open the bag. I've also tried wearing the bag over a camelbak but that just seems to make it cumbersome. I think the best solution I can come up with is to jerry rig a make shift BVS system like the ones they have on Mystery Ranch packs, unfortunately the company will not alter bags they didn't make. If anyone else can come up with a more sensible solution I would really appreciate it. Thanks
doc_robalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:34   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Doc:

This is not where your first post should be.

Please review the rules and stickies and comply before posting further, and fill in your profile.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:35   #21
crash
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_robalt View Post
. If anyone else can come up with a more sensible solution I would really appreciate it. Thanks
First- listen to TR fill in your profile, post a intro, or you won't be welcome here long...

This is a good bag for certain things, its comfortable without body armor and very compact. I'm actually using mine for a wilderness EMT course now, but if your on extended patrols or if you using and camelbak, or patrol pack or are wearing a ruck it becomes very cumbersome and heavy especially with as little as two IV bags over time it feels like a bag of bricks, not to mention if your already carrying an assault pack.

This bag really was intended more as a Direct Action Oh' sh!t bag, not a carry everyday on patrols type bag.

What types of missions are you doing what kind of gear are you carrying, injuries your seeing? I can give you some suggestions on packs that might work for you.

Last edited by crash; 05-05-2010 at 07:41. Reason: My horrible spelling as usual
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 21:19   #22
doc_robalt
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
First- listen to TR fill in your profile, post a intro, or you won't be welcome here long...

This is a good bag for certain things, its comfortable without body armor and very compact. I'm actually using mine for a wilderness EMT course now, but if your on extended patrols or if you using and camelbak, or patrol pack or are wearing a ruck it becomes very cumbersome and heavy especially with as little as two IV bags over time it feels like a bag of bricks, not to mention if your already carrying an assault pack.

This bag really was intended more as a Direct Action Oh' sh!t bag, not a carry everyday on patrols type bag.

What types of missions are you doing what kind of gear are you carrying, injuries your seeing? I can give you some suggestions on packs that might work for you.

Well we've been issued these bags as our primary Aidbags to take on patrol as an effort to reduce the weight we are carrying on patrol, since we do dismounted patrols in the mountains of Afghanistan from elevations of 3000ft up to 5000ft +, and distances of 5k or more usually round trip. We were issued Eagle Industries Plate Carriers, and I carry a standard combat load with a few pouches of medical equipment to treat on the spot trauma. As far as what I carry in my M9 I usually have 1-2 Cric Kits, 1 King LT, 2 Saline Lock Kits, about 4 Combat Gauze Packs, 4 Packs of Kerlex, 4 Ace Wraps or NAR ETD, 1 Abdominal Dressing, 4 Chest Seals- either Hyfins, or some HydroGel, I have 2 14G Needles, some cravats, 2in Tape, 2 Sam Splints, and 2 Bags of Hextend with IV Kits attached. I sometimes adjust what I carry and add to it depending on the mission, like one mission due to the possibility of delayed medevac I stuffed a Chest tube kit in my bag. I pretty much went off of the Ranger Medic Handbook as far as my standard load out of medical equipment to carry and adjusted from there. Like I said the issue isn't usually the weight, its the issue of making it work with Camelbak. Any help you can give will be appreciated Thanks.
doc_robalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 00:40   #23
JMonty
Asset

My unit uses the Ranger Medic Handbook as a guide in terms of minimum stockage and mission dependent equipment. It's in the works, but what we want to do is basically have different bags and their medical inserts (with specific supplies or equipment such as Meds, or a chest tube kit) that can be mixed and matched for a variety of missions.
Currently, I have a TT First Responder bag that has CUF supplies and some TFC airway devices. Our PA is has just ordered some NAR CCRKs which is almost the exact same as the TT FR but has a MOLLE system on the back of it with two of the plastic buckles. Additionally the place for the scissors was moved to the front of the bag instead of on top (the insides of both bags are the same).
Now, we have the M-9 Aid Bags on order but it's my understanding that being a smaller bag that can't carry as much, the M-9 is used primarily as a DA/ short distance aid bag. We also have the BH STOMP IIs but they stay in the trucks unless we're moving a great distance that would make it necessary to take them with us.
Also, we're working on getting a CUF pouch that can either go on our chest or our thigh (medic's choice) so we don't have to constantly run around with our big BlackHawk bags (I purchased my own CUF pouch and TT FR bag before this deployment).
For those of you that have problems with fitting a BVM in your bag, we use the NAR CYCLONE bvm which comes in a vacum sealed bag not much bigger than one of the NAR abdominal dressings (remind me to buy some stock in these guys).
That's all I have.
"I say to you now only what I would say to my own men, knowing the fear that stands unspoken in each heart - not of death, but worse, of faltering or failing, of somehow proving unworthy in this, the ultimate hour. Forget every concept, however noble, that you imagine you fight for here today. Act for this alone: for the man who stands at your shoulder." -Dienekes 'Gates of Fire'
JMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:26   #24
crash
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_robalt View Post
Like I said the issue isn't usually the weight, its the issue of making it work with Camelbak. Any help you can give will be appreciated Thanks.
Use canteens.

OR

Get something like this and mount it to the molle panel on the back of the m-9.
http://camelbak.com/government-milit.../armorbak.aspx