Old 10-10-2007, 06:21   #1
Noslack71
Guerrilla

Browning Hi- Power Question

Gentlemen:
I have a Browning HP in .40S&W that I purchased around 1997. I have put about 4-5000 rounds through it without any problems. A fellow that I have been shooting with tells me that Browning created the .40 during this time frame (1990-1999) to fill a market void. The pistol was not engineered to be a .40. It is (according to this gentlemen) a 9mm pistol that was hastily put together around a .40 barrel and, the frame was not designed for the added stresses of the .40 cal rounds. He suggested that, I send it to Bar -Sto and, have a 9mm barrel put into to the pstol so, that the caliber round it shoots matches with what the pistol was originally designed to shoot. I have done some rsearch and, the standard 9mm magazine seems to fit though, I obviously did not test the magazine fully. I have used the Google-Fu a bit and, have not found a great deal of information on ths topic. The possibility exists that my search parameters are inadequate for the information I am seeking. I did see an article in a commercial gun magagzine that alluded to the possibility of this being a problem. I am somewhat sceptical of the agenda in regards to the information in those commercial publications. I use the pistol primarily for home defense and, occasionally a carry gun. Currently, I run anywhere to 200-400 rounds per month through the pistol and, those are primarily commercial ball ammunition. Is this gentleman correct about the Brownings .40 HP's manufactured during this time frame (1990-1999)? With the relativly low round count that I put through the pistol, could this level of use lead to stress problems and, or some type of catostrophic failure? Does the fix he suggested sound like a reasonable cost-benefit fix? (It is about $250.00 and a six to eight week wait). This is not the only home defense system I have avaliable. Any experience, suggestions or insights about this issue that any of you miht have have and, would be willing to share would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Noslack
Noslack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:39   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I am not a BHP expert, but I would avoid any .40 (+P) ammo, replace the springs regularly, and keep it as is.

The breech face is larger on a .40 than a 9mm, so the slide is not going to be correct for the 9mm, and may induce malfunctions. The external extractor may hold the round on the breech face and get positive ignition, or it might not. I would not risk it.

Bar-Sto would probably replace the barrel and weld up the breech face and recut it. For that money, you could buy a 9x19 BHP and retire the.40.

IIRC, there was some discussion about the slide speed, as early manufacturers did not have the required weight in a 9mm slide to deal with the .40 recoil impulse, and later, they started adding more mass to the slide, as well as using stronger springs.

The best BHP smith I know is Wayne Novak, you might call his shop and get his opinion, if you are interested in getting some work done on it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55   #3
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
I am not a BHP expert, but I would avoid any .40 (+P) ammo,
+1

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What TR said. If you are that concerned about it, sell the .40 and buy a 9MM.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:53   #5
gunnerjohn
The Machinist

TR's recommend about Novak is right on. The .40 Hi-Powers that browning built were not totally a void filler. If you notice on the pistol that the slide is fatter than a 9mm version. This can be identified by a milled slot on the left side to accomodate the slide stop. Browning determined that the added weight was needed for the .40 cal. TR's mention about the breech face was correct too in that trying to just change barrels will create pressure issues without having the rear of the case protected. One other source for information is Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide Shop. A phone call to the shop will get you more information than you could ever imagine.

--John Adams
gunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 13:50   #6
Air.177
Quiet Professional

If memory serves, I believe that some of the custom shops (novak, C&S, YoBo) would fit a 9mm Barrel to a .40 HP that would allow you to interchange between the two calibers. I also believe that the .40 has an additional locking lug on the top of the barrel.

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 17:29   #7
Noslack71
Guerrilla

Thanks

Gentlemen:
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your expertise and information. You folks have given me the information and POC's I needed to consider the options in an objective manner. Again, I appreciate your time, experience and, suggestions.

Noslack
Noslack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 16:34   #8
brianksain
Guerrilla

Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide is a BHP wizard as well.

Been at it forever. 2005 Pistolsmith of the Year from the APG.

Link: http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

fwiw.