Old 04-22-2004, 18:54   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Post 18D job description

(18D) Major duties: The Special Forces medical sergeant employs conventional and unconventional warfare tactics and techniques in providing medical care and treatment.

Junior Special Forces Medical Sergeant (18D3). Skill Level 3. Performs and maintains proficiency in all Major Duties-Ensures detachment medical preparation and maintains medical equipment and supplies, provides examination and care to detachment members and establishes temporary, fixed and unconventional warfare medical facilities to support operations with emergency, routine, and long term medical care. Provides initial medical screening and evaluation of allied and indigenous personnel. Manages detachment, allied, or indigenous patients, administration, admission and discharge, care, laboratory and pharmacological requirements and the initiation, maintenance and transfer of records. Orders, stores, catalogs, safeguards and distributes medical supplies, equipment and pharmaceutical. Supervises medical care and treatment during split detachment missions. Operates a combat laboratory and treats emergency and trauma patients in accordance with established surgical principles. Diagnoses and treats various medical dermatological, pediatric, infectious and obstetric conditions using appropriate medications, intravenous fluid support and physical measures. Develops and provides medical intelligence as required.

Senior Special Forces Medical Sergeant (18D4). Skill Level 4.Performs all duties of preceding skill level. Supervises and manages field medical activities in a conventional or unconventional warfare environment, Advises and provides tactical and technical guidance to the Detachment Commander, indigenous and allied personnel. Responsible for the planning, execution and supervision of cross training of detachment members in medical skills. In unconventional warfare environment, instructs medical personnel, manages guerilla hospitals and field evacuation nets; coordinates the operation, interaction and activities of medical facilities within an area of operation; manages battalion size troop medical clinic and its administrative and logistical support. Establishes a base stock of medical supplies and equipment, internal or external procurement, storage, security and distribution of those items. Coordinates veterinary training and support for area requiring anima transportation or use. When directed, conducts operational and intelligence planning, preparation and execution of detachment missions.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:51   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Also usually acts as the S-1 when deployed and as required.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52   #3
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Also usually acts as the S-1 when deployed and as required.
Sometimes I filled the intel slot on ODA-522, cuz, well, we dint have one!!!!

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 14:08   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTobyt
Sometimes I filled the intel slot on ODA-522, cuz, well, we dint have one!!!!
I think it was just because the Team Daddy recognizes that there aint noone smarter than the "Doc" on a team

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 15:43   #5
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
I think it was just because the Team Daddy recognizes that there aint noone smarter than the "Doc" on a team

Eagle
Yup!!!!!!!

Fact is, the Tm Sgt at the time was Don Ringley, 'nuther Medic!!!!!

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 20:56   #6
Gandhi

I'm starting the delta course in jun. I take it a&p is my best chance for getting ready?
Old 03-17-2005, 14:00   #7
spdch
SF Candidate

I recommend the Priceton Review Anatomy coloring book. It won't teach you everything but it was good for rocks like me to get a little bit f a head start. It also kept me from going completely crazy over in Stu Co.

good luck.

d
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58   #8
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

Old 18Ds

I see things have not changed very much since the days of the 911.73 MOS.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 21:40   #9
whocares175
Quiet Professional

i know this is kinda late but sfs0avn, you kinda dated yourself.
2008-2011 q course
2011-10th
whocares175 is offline   Reply With Quote