Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-14-2007, 14:55   #1
Russell S
Asset

Garmont T8

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with these boots? I am looking at getting a pair if it looks like they are a good boot. One thing I am not too keen on is that they have vents in the instep and this may let fine sand into the boot....

Thanks
Russell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:29   #2
allester666
SF Candidate

Garmont boots

Russel-

So far I have had nothing but good things to say about my garmont T8's. Good ankle support when jumping and rucking, and the sole grips into wet grass and sand consistently. I am going to take them to SUT so that will be the final test of durability and comfort. One thing I should mention is that I noticed some of the threads popping at the base of the boot lace hole/main body connection. I had a local shop reinforce the stitches and have not had issues since then.
Old 05-28-2008, 23:43   #3
Robertson
SF Candidate

I've got two pairs. Used one pair throughout ranger school and they held up fine. Excellent traction, ankle support for jumping, and they fit nicely and comfortably.

Only small complaint is that the stitching comes undone in some areas, but with a lighter its an easy fix and you just monitor it now and then. They held up being on my feet everyday dry and wet with no problems.

Hope this helps

Because they stand on a Wall and say 'Nothing is going to hurt you tonight. Not on my watch'

-From A Few Good Men[/COLOR]
Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:04   #4
JacobGL
SF Candidate

Are you permited to wear these at SFAS?

"Now go do PT" Surgicalcric

"You can cry, just don't quit" Andy Petranek
JacobGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:10   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobGL View Post
Are you permited to wear these at SFAS?
Have you read the stickies, or are you just looking to leave here quickly?

Search "issue boot" and read all of the threads before posting further. Then provide me a synopsis of the results with your next post.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 14:37   #6
JacobGL
SF Candidate

From http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialfor...cking_list.htm

1 pr BOOTS, ARMY ISSUE OR JUNGLE ONLY

NOTE # 3 NO BOOTS THAT HAVE A SNEAKER STYLE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR, i.e. HIGH TECH, OAKLEY, ADIDAS

thank you TR

- Jacob

"Now go do PT" Surgicalcric

"You can cry, just don't quit" Andy Petranek

Last edited by JacobGL; 05-29-2008 at 14:45.
JacobGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:11   #7
Amato
Quiet Professional

I wore these just about every day for the past 6 months and they are fantastic. Wore them through out sage with out a complaint.
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:11   #8
allester666
SF Candidate

Still good to go

The garmont boots have held up wonderfully thus far. After NUMOROUS swamp/stream crossings, rough terrain and repeated use I have had no issues at all with these boots. Great traction in the sand as well as on the slick pine needle covered forest. Also, these boots provide great ankle support.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:00   #9
sonofabreach
Asset

GARMONT T8's

Gotta say I've had the T8's for a while now and they are possibly the best boots I've owned, aside from the ones issued at boot but thats a whole different thread. they do have that standard issue look but don't require that break in period like most standard issue boots do. My first pair I messed up, took a nasty fall and ripped a good sized hole on the damn thing, ordered a second pair.
Aside from the previous postings about stitching coming out, I've noticed that these are sumbitch to clean. That cleaning kit that they sell at the PX's or the NEX's didn't do much when it came to cleaning these bastards. I've tried soap and water, saddle soap and everything else that could be used to clean them. I've also noticed, that they sort of get a sun-tan that cause them to look like Marine boots. Maybe it was just my pair, or the conditioner crap that I ordered to help loosen em up just a smidge. Here I am going on and on about the way the boots looked, you'd think I was a fashionable man or something. Another downside is that they do take some time to lace up. But once their on you could fall down a mountain and they'd stay attached to your foot, trust me on that one fellarz.
Over all though these boots perform superbly under the most trying of situations. I've taken them up mountains and down mountains and from beach landings to river crossings. I've never noticed a blister or hot spot on my feet. I'd recommend them to any shooter.

Excerpt taken from SAS Soldiers Prayer (http://www.estelmann.com/private/prayer.htm)
The entire prayer was found on the uniform of Lt. Andre Zirnheld, SAS, died in battle July 26, 1941, go to
sonofabreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:08   #10
rcm_18d
Quiet Professional

Boots

I guess the days of jungle boots with the waffle sole are over. But so is team week.
rcm_18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 21:26   #11
Land Shark
SF Candidate

I just bought my second pair today. They are snug around my ankles, but have a large toe box for swelling feet. They also provide exceptional ankle support, solid traction, and light weight. Worth every penny.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:14   #12
lrsu
Asset

The T-8’s are an awesome pair of boots. I have had a pair for almost 2 years now and have no complaints at all. I purchased a pair of the T-6 boots while in Afghanistan for the mountains and they worked out well also. Both boots are very comfortable and offer great support. I did change the laces out to some tan 550 cord after breaking one of them.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

"EMBRACE THE SUCK.....RHINO 3-1 OUT"
lrsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 20:34   #13
fister81
Asset

I guess I'm going to be the odd ball, but mine I just didn't like them. The heel is rough from stitching and my heel kept slipping up and got a small blister after 6 miles. I also didn't like the upper padding (or lack there of) that goes around your lower shin (very top of the boot). Just rough edges around the top of the boot and scratched me up a bit. I've been hearing good reviews from Oakley and some mixed reviews from Blackhawk but to each his own right.
fister81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 20:48   #14
SpetsnaZ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Shark View Post
and light weight
There's nothing light weight about these boots!
And you cant fold them up good enough to pack up in a assault pack or kit bag. They just take up too much space if your not wearing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fister81 View Post
I guess I'm going to be the odd ball, but mine I just didn't like them. The heel is rough from stitching and my heel kept slipping up and got a small blister after 6 miles. I also didn't like the upper padding (or lack there of) that goes around your lower shin (very top of the boot). Just rough edges around the top of the boot and scratched me up a bit.
fister81, Spot on...
The same thing happened to mine and also a friend of mine. They are ok but I'll still take a pair of modified Belleville 390 desert boots any day!
SpetsnaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 20:29   #15
sonofabreach
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpetsnaZ View Post
There's nothing light weight about these boots!
And you cant fold them up good enough to pack up in a assault pack or kit bag. They just take up too much space if your not wearing them.

fister81, Spot on...
The same thing happened to mine and also a friend of mine. They are ok but I'll still take a pair of modified Belleville 390 desert boots any day!
modified 390's? I know, I know, a whole separate thread...

Excerpt taken from SAS Soldiers Prayer (http://www.estelmann.com/private/prayer.htm)
The entire prayer was found on the uniform of Lt. Andre Zirnheld, SAS, died in battle July 26, 1941, go to
sonofabreach is offline   Reply With Quote