Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 03-01-2019, 20:57   #31
Sohei
Area Commander

The *world* gets to have more time with our kids than we - the parents - do. That's why parents' involvement in their children's lives is so important. We are their foundation and we have to make sure it's built strongly or the opposing forces will erode it. That's one of the reasons I spend as much time mentoring kids as I can. I take my fight against the *world's influence* in our kids lives seriously.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:30   #32
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

"that precious time between 18-25 the age of irrationality is who they are co opting to get their message and agendas pushed through"

It is also the time when they are offered the world NOW with payments differed to another time. (Credit cards, college loans, adjustable rate mortgage,....insert other too good to true offer here)

When payment comes due, too many have learned (erroneously ) "it's not your fault, you were taken advantage of by the system"

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 14:14   #33
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
"that precious time between 18-25 the age of irrationality is who they are co opting to get their message and agendas pushed through"

It is also the time when they are offered the world NOW with payments differed to another time. (Credit cards, college loans, adjustable rate mortgage,....insert other too good to true offer here)

When payment comes due, too many have learned (erroneously ) "it's not your fault, you were taken advantage of by the system"
Student loan forgiveness is coming on a massive scale.
Due to this and other factors (like worthless majors with no return on investment) the higher education bubble will pop.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 16:29   #34
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Due to this and other factors (like worthless majors with no return on investment) the higher education bubble will pop.
We do not need that many Philosophy and Social Science majors we need craftsman, Vocational technical training actual trade schools someone with an MBA, History degree etc....isn't bring anything to the table that experience does not teach....you can read basket weaving, philosophy etc...in your own time in the library useless degrees are exactly these they don't benefit society they don't build anything they do not understand the tangible world as most of us do like what survival and success looks like in real life the life we all experience.....god knows we don't need delusions of higher education we need producers, skilled workers etc....the machine needs replacement parts.....not shade tree quarterback kids and those who can't do that teach wrecking the success of entrepreneurship and hard work....there are very few jobs that actually require more than trade school training....How do we get people to quit praying to the higher education gods as being something they are not
Old 03-03-2019, 17:11   #35
cbtengr
Area Commander

I think this pretty much sums things up regarding the trades.

jim joe.jpg
Old 03-03-2019, 17:21   #36
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
We do not need that many Philosophy and Social Science majors we need craftsman, Vocational technical training actual trade schools someone with an MBA, History degree etc....isn't bring anything to the table that experience does not teach....you can read basket weaving, philosophy etc...in your own time in the library useless degrees are exactly these they don't benefit society they don't build anything they do not understand the tangible world as most of us do like what survival and success looks like in real life the life we all experience.....god knows we don't need delusions of higher education we need producers, skilled workers etc....the machine needs replacement parts.....not shade tree quarterback kids and those who can't do that teach wrecking the success of entrepreneurship and hard work....there are very few jobs that actually require more than trade school training....How do we get people to quit praying to the higher education gods as being something they are not
IQ tests are illegal for civilian employers to use in the US.
For a time, a college degree was an effective proxy.

Admission standards have lowered, so this is no longer effective.
Now, employers tend only to value degrees for STEM majors, because those are the only ones left that are effective proxies for IQ tests.

Many didn't understand that a degree itself wasn't the golden ticket.
So, easy majors were an easy sale to the naive, and a bubble was created.

The combination of feminism and excessive student loans largely contributed to the inflation of this bubble.
Not politically correct to say it, but the majority of worthless degrees and student debt (especially relative to income) is held by women.

This gender disparity (the debt gap) will increase.
Eventually, a clever politician will push for student loan forgiveness to secure the women's vote.

The earners will be stuck with the bill.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
Old 03-03-2019, 17:34   #37
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post

Attachment 35640
Oddly enough, philosophy majors tend to be quite intelligent.
Only about one-half of one percent of bachelor degrees awarded are majors in philosophy.

https://thetab.com/us/2017/04/10/whi...ghest-iq-64811
Old 03-03-2019, 17:53   #38
Pericles
Guerrilla

Quote:
Oddly enough, philosophy majors tend to be quite intelligent.
Only about one-half of one percent of bachelor degrees awarded are majors in philosophy.

https://thetab.com/us/2017/04/10/whi...ghest-iq-64811
In the old days (before 2000) a good Philosophy program turned out a disciplined thinker. I could go quite easily from symbolic logic (a Philosophy discipline) to FORTRAN programming and systems analysis. Today's product seems to have difficulty placing a thought in a sentence.
Old 03-03-2019, 18:16   #39
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well if they do it we need to request Student Loan Reparations so we can recoup our money that we should not have had to spend.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 20:39   #40
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Admission standards have lowered, so this is no longer effective.
My father-in-law and his sister endowed a scholarship at Redlands University, in CA, and I read one of the essays written by one of the female recipients. My 7th grade English teacher would have failed her. Even my FiL and his sister agreed that it was incomprehensible but did nothing to ensure that the money would be better spent in the future.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 22:32   #41
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I recall about 6-7 years ago when the oil fields in the Dakotas were taking off and laid-off white-collar workers from very comfortable parts of the country were packing up everything and moving up to the badlands for manual labor jobs. The work wasn't pretty but the new workers were able to land very good paying jobs and be able to afford a home for their families. The funny part about all that was when the academia and political elite went apoplectic upon discovering many of those new oil company employees were high school graduates who went immediately into the workforce and were happy with their jobs because they were banking 6-figures, buying homes, leading productive lives, and not one bit of that time, money and energy was wasted on college.

I have one full BS degree in Outdoor Rec and Tourism from CSU. Having worked for a professional outfitter in the Colorado Rockies, I had planned on becoming a professional mountain guide and run my own operation. Unfortunately, by the time I realized the classwork proved to be more subjective BS than actual science, I was a starving college student and too far along to shift gears. I was also pretty much the anti-christ to most of my classmates and several of my professors. I got along better with the wildlife/fisheries and forestry students. Had I known ahead of time that wildlife and forestry degrees were more in line with my goal, I would opted for either one.

As for other higher learning, I have 3 out of 4 years in Industrial Design but knew I would never complete the program because I had no intention of being someone's intern bitch or working and designing stuff for someone else's benefit. Ironically, I opted to go back overseas and provide direct material support to ODAs via rapid fabrication, but everything we developed was immediately tagged as Lockheed's IP. As much as that annoyed me, it was still a fantastic job and it really helped me focus on how to start setting up my own operation.

I'd like to set up my own custom fab shop and eventually bring in other willing and able veterans who either need to learn a trade or craft or improve on the skills they already possess. It's ambitious, to say the least, but I believe there needs to be an alternative to college, especially for veterans. And any "lesbian philosophical basket weaving" or "Interpretive Harry Potter Studies" degree graduates can go play Hide-and-Go-F*ck-Yourself". I'm sure Starbucks or McDonalds could use the bodies.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 03-03-2019 at 23:08.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:00   #42
7624U
Quiet Professional

Here is another sign. This emotional support shit on planes getting out of hand.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/family-fi...020548123.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...116-story.html

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 03-04-2019 at 04:03.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:59   #43
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post

Attachment 35640
Made my day!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26   #44
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
As for other higher learning, I have 3 out of 4 years in Industrial Design but knew I would never complete the program because I had no intention of being someone's intern bitch or working and designing stuff for someone else's benefit. Ironically, I opted to go back overseas and provide direct material support to ODAs via rapid fabrication, but everything we developed was immediately tagged as Lockheed's IP. As much as that annoyed me, it was still a fantastic job and it really helped me focus on how to start setting up my own operation.

BINGO People lose sight of what many degrees are for...white collar vs blue collar essentially an MBA or any other degree is training to work for an entrepreneur with less chances of getting dirty and hopefully more pay...kind of like really expensive trade schools IMO

I'd like to set up my own custom fab shop and eventually bring in other willing and able veterans who either need to learn a trade or craft or improve on the skills they already possess. It's ambitious, to say the least, but I believe there needs to be an alternative to college, especially for veterans. I'm sure Starbucks or McDonalds could use the bodies And any "lesbian philosophical basket weaving" or "Interpretive Harry Potter Studies" degree graduates can go play Hide-and-Go-F*ck-Yourself"..
That is exactly the point about education these days....a Bachelors or a Masters should never replace the experience and knowledge of real life experience, natural intelligence and aptitude...it can't I have seen too many idiots with degrees whom perhaps are great in a school setting incapable in real life here in SF even we have them as well that are not even gifted enough intellectually to compete for the armorer gig....but as you know the Army has given up its thinking caps and they too place a premium on formal education instead of ability.

College at one time was for the intellectual elite the driven....today its for everyone so why are we not treading lighter on degree over ability? especially now that we see the products coming out of these institutions with little to no valuable skill, no enhanced intellect, no enlightenment on practical things that effect our lives? they have come out delusions of grandeur and a fanatical belief that we are all wrong and the radicals have it right

Obviously their are trades that require the highest level of education as science advances such as scientist, physicians, Lawyers, Engineers etc.....but most of these degrees seem to be just a way to get substandard minds into the higher institutions of indoctrination...to create soldiers for the radical agenda.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:00   #45
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
“what are the critical factors and critical points that we need to focus on in order to preserve our liberty?
They have already co-opted academia including primary secondary and higher educational institutions”.
But this is their achilles heal.

From the perspective of societal conformity, everything in the social construct on every level, is specified, regulated, has rules, structure, measurement, and standards. Everything except education. The argument of Candice Owens is expectation and delivery of promises, have never been met. What would radically impact the marginalization process that the PL employs to undermine this democracy, is directly confronting that salient point. (Standards)

Malcom X once rattled the black population by telling them they been “Hoodwinked”. Though he was referring to a specific event, there is little doubt, his awareness innately understood the greatest political lie, the care of all, from the control of a few. Many here have witnessed, while deployed, the very real denial of education and its sociocultural effects.

Denial = Control

Access to education has been a social policy concern since the early 1950’s and is the foundational argument of the civil rights movement, Plessey vs Ferguson, separate but equal, (1899) leading to, Brown vs the B. of Education, (1954).
But, that ongoing struggle for access is a straw argument.

Access to education is used by the radically progressive left as a recruiting tool to those few, who created, or capitalized on the limited resources to excel in that social educational system. Studies have Indicated contributing factors, such as a strong family and involvement, economic stability, Usually mentored, charter schools, over one that does not have standards and by all accounts, has failed.

“Sociocultural conditions include the dominant views of what and how teachers should teach in a given school setting. These views are informed by ideologies, values, and orientations held by leaders and administration. Also includes beliefs about knowledge and culture, particularly prior knowledge and cultural practices of historically marginalized groups. These conditions also include Basil Bernstein’s theory of classification and framing, the former of which involves practices of boundary maintenance between official and non-dominant knowledge, and the latter involves control of how knowledge is presented and shared (i.e., pacing, sequence, selection of content).” 2018

Understanding “of how knowledge is presented and shared (i.e., pacing, sequence, selection of content)” is control. 2018 E.g., Tailban, enforces with extreme violence, the educational control of women. Their greatest threat, questionable at best? To not do so, the fabric of the sociocultural structure of their society, unravels.

In the same sense, the sociocultural educational structure of our society, employs the same “control of how knowledge is presented and shared (i.e., pacing, sequence, selection of content).” 2018

This is mission one (1) for the socialist democratic agenda. Content distribution.

Candice Owens in all her interviews, which I’ve listen to, talk of leaving the plantation, but they, and no one, addresses the process that perpetuates this failed system, or, what methods are employed to maintain the false argument of oppression by others, while intergroup domination controls content and distribution.

Standards in education create an equal opportunity for success, dependent, of course, upon DNA and ecological conditions. The Achilles Heel for the Social Progressive is exposing that, the correlation: the Taliban is no different than the social control of education by the Democrats, the control of information, enslaves. that is the conversation. Attacking the paradox of words, money, and reform to a system that is designed to educated/present enough reason to conform, but not enough to reason.

The argument presented by the left, breaks in the simplistic terms of race.

Standards are racist, therefore, likeness equals understanding and support. We are against racism. The standards that are asked to be met are not part and parcel, to this/our sociocultural experience is the reply, the action is Identity Politics. Hence, they are racist by design. That’s the progressive’s public foundational argument. When in fact, Race is a social construct, not a biological imperative. (2005)
The political conversation is always about a failed system, money, and promises. and, if the education system where to meet educational standards, it would lift the vail of ignorance undermine the control over it.

That argument fails. Its rooted in response to the charge of racism. This neutralizing the corrective action and marginalizing the parties. Attacking the results of decades of institutional control, through policy change, is a non starter. The progressive left controls all the graduate social policy schools leading to Ph.d,.

The conflict today originates from the writings of John Rawls, whose concept of distributive justice, or original position, posit that what was best for the least member of society would be the measure what was good for all, which lead to his social justice theory.

https://homepage.univie.ac.at/herber...John_Rawls.pdf

http://tupc.pbworks.com/f/Rawls_Lect...troduction.pdf

https://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPa...v=20&id=&page=

Rawls moral philosophy employs deontological ethics. deontology (from Greek δέον, deon, "obligation, duty") is the normative ethical theory that the morality of an action should be based on whether that action itself is right or wrong under a series of rules, rather is based on the consequences of the action. (wiki)

Process is justified by outcome, not moral consideration, but moral to end state.

They need not regard matters from the moral point of view which would require them to take account of what is in the equal interest of all, for this impartiality is exacted by a situation that throws a veil of ignorance over the mutually disinterested, though free and equal parties. Because the latter do not know which positions, they will occupy in the society that it is their task to order, they find themselves constrained already by their self-interest to reflect on what is equally good for all. This construction of an original position that flames the freedom of choice of rational actors in a reasonable fashion is explained by Rawls's initial intention of representing the theory of justice as part of the general theory of choice.

Quote:
“reversal of dominant roles as the loudest indicator that is present today here....at least jumps out at me....societies do not seem to survive when the natural order is disturbed almost a hardwire primordial phenomenon”.
AOC & Co, replaces the democratic leadership and its their, the new democratic socialist duty, deontologically, to do so, method and consequences be dammed.

Claiming no expertise in COIN, one position that is worthy of consideration is the distribution of Rawls theory as a tool of enslavement by the progressive left, rather than one rooted in egalitarianism, that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities. (2002) Which we all agree is utopian and desirable, however unrealistic as we are, by nature, selfish primates.

The socialist progressive left use of “veil of ignorance over the mutually disinterested, who are educated just enough to mimic understanding and “though free and equal parties” Vote, Because the latter do not know which positions,(uncertainty) they will occupy in the society that it is their task to order, they find themselves constrained already by their self-interest to reflect on what is equally good for all.”

Exposing the manipulation of a failed educational system to promote generation after generation of uninformed, mutually supportive, programed drones, that have been hoodwinked, lifts the vail of ignorance, and forces the argument to the table, needs to be presented not from a political party perspective but through a Tom Paine(ish) community activist level. A ground truth level.

Quote:
their is a critical mass in which something genetically happens to people under these conditions.....in a primitive example overpopulation leads to resource depletion followed by starvation and de-population....resource recovery...the cycle restarts
1. Journal of Transformative Leadership and Policy Studies - Vol. 7 No. 1, May 2018 Teachers of Color and Urban Charter Schools: Race, School Culture, and Teacher Turnover in the Charter Sector Terrenda White, PhD
2. Race as Biology Is Fiction, Racism as a Social Problem Is Real Anthropological and Historical Perspectives on the Social Construction of Race Audrey Smedley Virginia Commonwealth University
Brian D. Smedley Institute of Medicine 2005
3. Egalitarianism against the Veil of Ignorance John E. Roemer The Journal of Philosophy Vol. 99, No. 4 (Apr., 2002), pp. 167-184

Last edited by Penn; 03-04-2019 at 10:34.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote