Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 10-05-2004, 10:40   #16
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
I don't know if I posted this before. I was awoken by almost the whole team pulling me off of one of my "Yards". I had a death grip on his throat. It seems I had dreamt that the NVA had attacked and was over running our RON. Things had deteriorated to hand-to-hand and I was trying to kill one of them with my bare hands. We laughed about it later but it was really a very scary situation.

SOLUTION: No more green hornets!

You Mean you were able to Fall asleep while on Green Hornets?

Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:20   #17
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air.177
You Mean you were able to Fall asleep while on Green Hornets?

They were an amphetamine coumpound which was supposed to last for only 12 hours and have no side effects. We were issued one capsule per expected day on an operation (if you wanted them). At the time they were perfectly legitimate and dispensed by the medics.

d in a friendly fire incident claimed they were given drugs.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:22   #18
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
They were an amphetamine coumpound which was supposed to last for only 12 hours and have no side effects. We were issued one capsule per expected day on an operation (if you wanted them). At the time they were perfectly legitimate and dispensed by the medics.

d in a friendly fire incident claimed they were given drugs.

I'm familiar with them, Just didn't know one could fall asleep while using them.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:42   #19
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm familiar with them, Just didn't know one could fall asleep while using them.
You couldn't. They were only good for 12 hours. The idea was to take one in the morning and be able to sleep at night.

misery is optional.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:46   #20
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You couldn't. They were only good for 12 hours. The idea was to take one in the morning and be able to sleep at night.

Gotcha.

Thanks for Clarifying

At Least you Didn't Blow Claymores
Old 10-06-2004, 04:01   #21
Guy
Quiet Professional

Talking 0300hrs here...

Where the hell is everyone at?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:29   #22
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Gotcha.

Thanks for Clarifying

At Least you Didn't Blow Claymores
That's a scary sight. Could you turn the avatar around?

Once in RVN an NCO was going outside and the XO asked him where he was going. He said he was going to test fire the claymores. The Lt said:"Oh, good idea."

misery is optional.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:20   #23
flyboy1
Auxiliary

Quote:
Once in RVN an NCO was going outside and the XO asked him where he was going. He said he was going to test fire the claymores. The Lt said:"Oh, good idea."
He was also the same LT that was sent to supply for for canopy lights, squelch oil and frequency grease????
flyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:52   #24
Achilles
SF Candidate

I know guys (mostly engineering students) who will literally stay up for 3-4 days doing work that is pretty mentally demanding. They use the ADHD prescription drug Adderall. It has an amphetimine-like effect for keeping you awake but also keeps you very focused. Personally, I hate having outside chemicals interfere with my mind (except alcohol when I'm relaxing), but I realize the difficulty in staying alert for long hours. What do yall think of this drug's effectiveness in the field?
Old 10-06-2004, 15:01   #25
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

No one has mentioned flatulence? LOL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 15:05   #26
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
No one has mentioned flatulence? LOL
One of my poor old dogs sleeps at the foot of my bed. If I pass a little he immediately gets up and leaves the room.

misery is optional.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:25   #27
Big Chief
Asset

Could use your advice

Hello,

I am prepping for the pipeline (i.e. PTing like a crazed animal) and it gives me very restful sleep.

My two problems are 1) At the end of the day, when its almost exactly the same time every night, nothing will keep me awake. I crash like an airplane into a train wreck. The flip side is: I wake up on a dime and haven't used an alarm clock in 4-5 years. 2) I never snore, but sometimes I "sleep talk" and have very weird conversations with people while completely asleep. I never remember anything I say while I have these conversations until people tell me the next morning.

I know staying awake is very important in SFAS. Does anyone have any good tips or tricks to help me out?

Is "sleep talking" really, really bad? As long as all my team knows about it, will it be ok?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:52   #28
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

At the barracks Saturday night my team was trying to get some Zs while the other teams were wide awake, listening to the radio, talking, studying, etc etc. In the end, we all ended up using our elasticated reflective PT belts to secure our extra BDU pants to the sides of our head to muffle the noise, and then draping the thinner back portion of our BDU top over our eyes to block the light... We all fell asleep instantly.

Which was good, because two of the guys are SERIOUS snorers. You don't want to try to fall asleep with them snoring.

Another one of the guys is a bit... individualistic. He slept UNDER his bed on the cold, hard floor, without even the benefit of his woobie!

Different things for different people, I guess.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 14:55   #29
Razor
Quiet Professional

I guess earplugs and a cravat weren't available? BTW, is 'elasticated' a British word, 'cuz I don't think we 'colonials' ever adopted it.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 15:18   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid
In the end, we all ended up using our elasticated reflective PT belts to secure our extra BDU pants to the sides of our head to muffle the noise, and then draping the thinner back portion of our BDU top over our eyes to block the light... We all fell asleep instantly.

Solid
Wish I had a picture of that.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote