Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 04-09-2009, 07:54   #46
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
There was a large rock at the base of the flagpole which we moved up to Panzer Kaserne in Boeblingen (would be nice if I could type in the umlauts..). Is this the memorial you're thinking of?

So, did you ever hear about the gold that was supposedly buried on Flint Kaserne?
Yup. Gold, diamonds, and art works. The riches of the Third Reich as I heard it.
Supposedly all booby trapped.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 21:57   #47
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
There was a large rock at the base of the flagpole which we moved up to Panzer Kaserne in Boeblingen (would be nice if I could type in the umlauts..). Is this the memorial you're thinking of?

So, did you ever hear about the gold that was supposedly buried on Flint Kaserne?

I guess so - the night that I got turned around in the middle of the quad - everything was coverd with snow - so I couldn't make out what it was - never realized it just a big rock.

Only Gold I knew about in Bavaria was those little gold flecks in the Gold Wasser Schnaps that some whom I hung out with would order - wasn't my favorite but back then, I wouldn't turn anything down. Glad I don't do that anymore!
Old 09-17-2009, 16:06   #48
vcorpstac
Asset

Thumbs up 7th NCO at Flint

I was at the NCO March 1966. I have read with interest and humor some of the great posts here. When we were there the floors were polished with Good old "KIWI" black shoe polish.My most vivid memory of the place was the map reading course somewhere out towards the ALps. We had practiced for couple days prior to the actual test. The night before the test it snowed 2+feet and everything but everything was white and buried. What made the course most interesting was the central area of the course which is where the 10th Blew stuff up. We were told not to enter the area due to unexploded ordinance yet we had to transect the area in order to locate pre maked stakes in the ground which were now buried under snow. It was quite challenging but I made it. Mostly it was sleep deprivation bed at about 11 or 12 after all the studying and duties and up at 4am. 28 days of basic O.D. torture. Passed and got back to my unit and made E-5 about 2 weeks later. You didn't dare flunk out and embarass your unit! I still have the student guide which was issued to incoming "meat". I look at it now and can't imagine ever going through that again yet I somehow think I could still handle it. Best of luck to all vets.
vcorpstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 18:24   #49
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

vcorpstac:

You might want to review the rules and stickies and comply before posting again.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:01   #50
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Wink 7th NCOA.................

Has any one attended the 7th NCOA in Munich before it moved to Flint Kassern?

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:41   #51
gtabor
Asset

Interesting Reading

I retired in1990 and this has brought back many memories. I went to the "7th" back in 71 or 72. Had an SF guy in my PLt and he couldn't understand why he was there either. I was an E-5 already and I believe he was as well. I remember polishing the middle of the hall with shoe polish and not being able to walk on it. I also remember it was too much like basic training not much respect for the NCO's that attended.

The area was great, I was assigned to the 509th in Maintz at the time. Wife and kids came up for graduation and we spent the weekend in Bad Toltz.

Thanks for the memories.

GT
gtabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 20:21   #52
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

I walked through the deserted hallways of the Academy at Toelz while on Bn duty. Many had already left for Boeblingen and being one of the last there I got stuck with duty.

It was kind of spooky in there. All the stupid shit was still there like the brass plugs in the showers and the "Autobahn"-a bit more scuffed up than in previous times I am sure.

My mind got to thinking of who might have stayed in those rooms over the many years since the place was built.

The end of the Academy wing at the archway over by the Community Club is now the Gaststaette zur Flintkaserne.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gasthaus zur Flint Kaserne (2).jpg (53.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Gaststaette zur Flint Kaserne Bad Toelz 7-04 1 (2).jpg (94.9 KB, 59 views)
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 23:45   #53
MVP
Quiet Professional

Watching the trespassers

My team room 021 was in the basement on the left side of the archway under the academy. Being there we had students wandering by very frequently. They always gawked at us like we were aliens, kind of regarded them that way as well... Used to really piss us off them blocking the door to the team room while they cleaned their gear. The one positive time was when Shit House man (our new 18B) was sent and we got to watch him bow and scrape to the instructors.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25   #54
SdAufKla
Quiet Professional

As the Kaserne Turns

Freaky small world. Reading this thread brings back some memories.

I never attended the 7th Army NOC Academy at Flint, but my wife did before we got married. Then we were stationed there in the mid-80's after she ETS'ed.

She still tells war stories about polishing that damn Autobahn!
Old 01-15-2010, 14:32   #55
Cougar6zulu
Asset

Quote:
"At its inception, the Academy occupied two adjoining Kasernes: Stetten Kaserne and Jensen Barracks located in Munich, Germany. On 31 October 1958, after nine years in the Bavarian capital, the Academy moved to its second location at Flint Kaserne, Bad Tolz, Germany. Effective 4 September 1990, the Seventh U.S. Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy relocated to and became a tenant unit of the Grafenwoehr Training Area. On 15 March 2005, the NCO Academy made its fourth move to its current location at Camp Normandy, Grafenwoehr." -JAZZ
I am curious as to where this info came from. I attended PLDC in GRAF in 1998 right before a quick 'HOLIDAY' in the Balkans. The new NCO academy is on the back side of GRAF around RG 115 but NOW its called WLC "WUSSIE...sorry...i mean..WARRIOR LEADERS COURSE" There is one redeeming attribute to the new school though.....IT IS THE FINEST CHOW HALL I HAVE EVER EATEN AT!!!!!!!

The newest NCO academy is toward the rear of GRAF about 1500M from RG !!%

"TANK GOD AND GIVER OF LIFE TO ALL THINGS MECHANICAL"

Last edited by Cougar6zulu; 01-15-2010 at 14:34.
Cougar6zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:58   #56
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar6zulu View Post
I am curious as to where this info came from. I attended PLDC in GRAF in 1998 right before a quick 'HOLIDAY' in the Balkans. The new NCO academy is on the back side of GRAF around RG 115 but NOW its called WLC "WUSSIE...sorry...i mean..WARRIOR LEADERS COURSE" There is one redeeming attribute to the new school though.....IT IS THE FINEST CHOW HALL I HAVE EVER EATEN AT!!!!!!!

The newest NCO academy is toward the rear of GRAF about 1500M from RG !!%

"TANK GOD AND GIVER OF LIFE TO ALL THINGS MECHANICAL"
Here's the link:
http://www.hqjmtc.army.mil/Organizat...A_history.html

I keep trying to get the PAC clerks to change my ERB back to PLDC.. I did not go to WLC....

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:14   #57
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
My team room 021 was in the basement on the left side of the archway under the academy.
That was our TmRm for ODA-7 (B Co). We were the first to occupy it when we moved from upstairs near the S2/S3/WarRoom in early 1978. We also had a secure storage room for our Training "Jazzer" (as we called it) in the tower to the right of the entrance arch under the NCO Academy Commandant's area.

The SCUBA team (B Co) was near the pool, the HALO team (A Co) was near the rigger's shed, and the remainder of the teams for A and B Companies were in the team buildings behind the athletic field.

Small world out there.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:57   #58
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
That was our TmRm for ODA-7 (B Co). We were the first to occupy it when we moved from upstairs near the S2/S3/WarRoom in early 1978. We also had a secure storage room for our Training "Jazzer" (as we called it) in the tower to the right of the entrance arch under the NCO Academy Commandant's area.

The SCUBA team (B Co) was near the pool, the HALO team (A Co) was near the rigger's shed, and the remainder of the teams for A and B Companies were in the team buildings behind the athletic field.

Small world out there.

Richard
A7 became A121 when we renumbered in '81. The SCUBA team went to A Company as A111, A Company's mountain team (whose team room was beneath the HALO team in the Rigger Shed) went to B Company as A123 and each company gave up teams to form C Company. The jazzer went away in 1982, one of my last acts as S2/NSO.
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:06   #59
Cougar6zulu
Asset

Quote:
Here's the link:
http://www.hqjmtc.army.mil/Organizat...A_history.html

I keep trying to get the PAC clerks to change my ERB back to PLDC.. I did not go to WLC....
I remember when the barracks where right by the old PX on the main strip in Graf just passed the golf course. now the barracks are in the back next to camp Algiers....whole new compound.

Yeah....I had the same problem with S1 but they told me that PLDC does not even exist anymore in the NCOES listing. Just wait till they change your ANCOC that will make you laugh!
Cougar6zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 16:09   #60
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
A7 became A121 when we renumbered in '81. The SCUBA team went to A Company as A111, A Company's mountain team (whose team room was beneath the HALO team in the Rigger Shed) went to B Company as A123 and each company gave up teams to form C Company. The jazzer went away in 1982, one of my last acts as S2/NSO.
A111 eventually became 015.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote