Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 03-21-2019, 12:57   #16
tonyz
Area Commander

A simple hypothetical in order to make a point...

...my neighbor consumes a snootfull of JACK and drives his CAR into a bunch of kids on the sidewalk...killing 10 young innocents...

Would anyone in their right mind seriously suggest that we ban CARS in our neighborhood? That is, all otherwise law abiding neighbors shall henceforth be without the use and possession of CARS because of the action of this murderous hypothetical individual.

Similarly, would elites seriously suggest that we ban JACK (and all forms of alcohol) for the otherwise law abiding neighbors?

No, this ban is about power and perception - there is an undeniable agenda by many - to deny private ownership of firearms...how’s that working out for the folks in Venezuela?

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 03-21-2019 at 15:38. Reason: Typos
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 13:00   #17
Flagg
Area Commander

To bring everyone in to speed on how firearms laws work in NZ:

A-Cat: bolt action or semi-auto that has no freestanding pistol grip, no flash suppressor, no mag great than 7 rounds, although suppressors are viewed quite reasonably here, health/safety wise. This in Luke’s sporting modified ARs, HK SL8’s, etc.

B-Cat: pistols, highly controlled with minimum barrel length of 4in. Closely managed by serial #, limited quantity of ownership, very little pistol related crime due to close control.

C-Cat: Collectibles, serial number controlled, but legal privilege to own everything up through and including Maxim machine gun, MAG58, Russian PK, Browning M2, Oerlikon 20mm, Bofors 40mm

D-Cat: Dealer license

E-Cat: Military Style firearms such as M4, Sig, AK, etc.

——-

The government just announced the end of all semi-auto firearms(possibly unclear), except rimfire.

——-

Firearms ownership is a privilege that requires a license.

The license lasts 10 years.

The License requires taking a safety course, in-home in-person interview and security inspection family interviews, multiple in-person referee interviews.

The NZ Police did an excellent job of responding to the active shooter.

However, they failed to conduct an in-person in home interview and security inspection, they did not interview his family(he is Australian), and his character references were only known to him from an internet chat room.

The Police also allowed his application to be lodged in a district considered to be weak in vetting, rather than his home district in Dunedin.

I’ve been a referee for dozens of my soldiers and friends applying for their firearms licenses.

In every case the process has been very thought and comprehensive.

Not in this case apparently.

This information is based on a retired NZ Police Arms Officer Joe Green who during his career was widely regarded as having a very fair and balanced viewpoint on firearms and the application of relevant law.

He claims to have sources in Police that show the Police failed multiple times in vetting the offender.

The process was not followed by Police, 50 are dead, 50 are injured, thousands are irrevocably effected, and 250,000 law abiding sportsmen and women have had their privileges revoked before root cause has been determined.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 13:03   #18
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
A simple hypothetical in order to make a point...
I'm not a fan of odds because if someone is trying to kill you it's a rather binary thing going on... but statistically your premise has much more to support it. Let's ban those cow-farting machines now!

The proscription of arms has ALWAYS led to bad things done by bad people in the name of them retaining & consolidating power.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 13:15   #19
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
I'm not a fan of odds because if someone is trying to kill you it's a rather binary thing going on... but statistically your premise has much more to support it. Let's ban those cow-farting machines now!

The proscription of arms has ALWAYS led to bad things done by bad people in the name of them retaining & consolidating power.
And don’t forget how much damage alcohol has done.

You don’t typically ban the implement in a free country - you punish the murderer.

In a perverse sense - doesn’t the ban actually feed into the NZ murderer’s professed beliefs and to a large segment of his audience?

No, a ban on the ownership of private firearms has too often been a pretext for disaster.

There are folks that should not be allowed to be near weapons - criminals, mentally ill, etc., etc., but to deny a natural right to law abiding and stable folks is a slippery slope.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 03-21-2019 at 13:17.
Old 03-21-2019, 13:18   #20
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
The process was not followed by Police, 50 are dead, 50 are injured, thousands are irrevocably effected, and 250,000 law abiding sportsmen and women have had their privileges revoked before root cause has been determined.
Or, in other words (he was under police observation) and it was ‘allowed’ to happen to move the political agenda.

It’s so frustrating to see time and again the failure of law enforcement to enforce the current laws as they are written.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 13:26   #21
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Or, in other words (he was under police observation) and it was ‘allowed’ to happen to move the political agenda.

It’s so frustrating to see time and again the failure of law enforcement to enforce the current laws as they are written.
Very interesting point.

Time-and-time again these whackos have been known to authorities. But, it is far easier for politicos to ban firearms than to actually focus on shortcomings in the system.

If you read the murderer’s manifesto - he essentially points out that banning the tool would not have stopped him from murder.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Old 03-21-2019, 13:45   #22
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Flagg, your local information reads like Fast and Furious (DOJ gun running not the movie) and for that matter sex trafficking and prostitution in South Florida Spa’s. Let’s let a certain amount criminal activity continue while we build an air tight case...only something else happened along the way. In our case a CBP officer got killed, a billionaire football team owner got caught and in your case 50 people died while worshipping their God by a self-declared nut case who should have never been allowed to have guns.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old 03-21-2019, 19:55   #23
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:

Quote:
Flagg, your local information reads like Fast and Furious (DOJ gun running not the movie) and for that matter sex trafficking and prostitution in South Florida Spa’s. Let’s let a certain amount criminal activity continue while we build an air tight case...only something else happened along the way. In our case a CBP officer got killed, a billionaire football team owner got caught and in your case 50 people died while worshipping their God by a self-declared nut case who should have never been allowed to have guns.
I just don’t know Fellas. I honestly don’t know.

What I do know is that:

in my 2 anecdotal examples of being vetted for a firearms license here(initial and renewal);

As interviewee for my wife’s license;

My wife as interviewee for me;

As a referee for many, many soldiers of mine and friends;

We have never seen anything but consistent and careful application of firearms licensing law and policy with increasing interviewee and referee questioning around not just violence but mental health and well being.

All done to the letter

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ontrol-officer

I must state clearly the article is based on sources claimed by a single retired police officer, but he has an excellent reputation of being a balanced, consistent, and fair person in his prior role.

Occasional errors happen at times, but these allegations demand transparent investigation and comprehensive process audit in this case.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:53   #24
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Yeah, I don’t know either. There are just so many things with all these situations that make you go hmm?

I doubt that any logical person would allow a tragedy to happen on their watch but at the same time inaction and bureaucracy cause people to take a sit back and watch mentality.

In my experience and opinion there is very little mass crime and murder that couldn’t have been prevented in the days and hours before it happened if people truly listened to what people in distress/rage are saying.

The “Minority Report” of policing is coming with the advent of AI and every electronic listening device surrounding our daily lives (Google, Alexia, smartphones, etc...) The liberal utopian dream will be to control all aspects of our life from pre-birth to the grave. The “thought police” will listen and record everything spoken and every key stroke on a search engine. Visit a website even accidentally and be placed on a “watch list” it’s already happening so it’s just a matter of refinement.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:11   #25
Box
Quiet Professional

The hilarity of the precedent is the hilarity of the consequence.

I've heard (and made the argument myself) that blaming the shooter is like blaming the car for a vehicular homicide. What people don't want to grasp (or simply cannot grasp) the nuance is that the blame is not at all the issue any more than the culprit isn't really the issue. The left is just playing the long game so they can slowly consolidate power and run everyone's lives "their way" - "blame" is just the vehicle they will use to get there. Blame the device - repeatedly - press it - press it repeatedly - the device is the cause.
The DEVICE is the cause.
The DEVICE is the CAUSE
THE.DEVICE.IS.THE.CAUSE.
...the manufacturer of the device must be stopped.

Enter the leftists that have spent the last seven years slowly tossing sand into the gears trying to pass the lawsuit that would allow victims to sue the manufacturer. How long can a company stay in business once the law has allowed anyone slighted to sue the maker instead of the doer?

It is the precedent that leftist are in search of. Once a gun manufacturer has been sued out of business, they will have legal precedent.
You think its hilarious to compare guns to cars?
Has anyone forgotten the AOC manifesto about outlawing everything up to and including cows? Global warming is the existential threat - we gotta stop it.
Suing a gun company "makes sense" because leftist have spent decades moving Overton's Window in that direction - and here we are.
We've already watched activists sue cigarette companies for making cigarettes - precedent
Win a case against guns - more precedent to point to - soon we can start suing the auto industry for all of those DUI vehicular homicide cases. Eventually the activists will break an auto maker as well. Because the already have precedent - the Ford Pinto.
The left wont mind attacking cars in the name of "climate change" because the "real" left wont be impacted. Al Gore will still live in an high impact mansion and will still get around town in a fuel burning car while being protected by armed security guards.
AOC has no problem jet setting and eating hamburgers while campaigning to outlaw meat and airplanes and without your 1st and 2d amendment rights, what are you going to do about it - silly peasants.............

but hey -its all about the children-
right?
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 03-22-2019 at 09:14.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 17:02   #26
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Looking back, the "Lord of the Rings" movies seem rather prophetic these days. With the way NZ is bending over and exposing their necks for the Orks/Uruk-hai to hack their heads off, it won't be long now before the islamists turn NZ into a real world Middle Earth, specifically, the dark land of Mordor. I mean, heck, the mountain they used as Mt. Doom in the movie is located there. Coincidence? I think not. And to recall that many NPC were up in arms and said Tolkien made the "Freedom-Loving Men of the West" vs. the Dark Forces of Mordor was an "oh-so-cleverly" veiled dog-whistle reference to the current conflict between the primitive Islamic world and the evolved Western world. Perhaps they were correct after all?

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 03-22-2019 at 17:12.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:12   #27
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
To bring everyone in to speed on how firearms laws work in NZ:

Firearms ownership is a privilege that requires a license.

The license lasts 10 years.

The License requires taking a safety course, in-home in-person interview and security inspection family interviews, multiple in-person referee interviews.

However, they failed to conduct an in-person in home interview and security inspection, they did not interview his family(he is Australian), and his character references were only known to him from an internet chat room.

The Police also allowed his application to be lodged in a district considered to be weak in vetting, rather than his home district in Dunedin.

I’ve been a referee for dozens of my soldiers and friends applying for their firearms licenses.

In every case the process has been very thought and comprehensive.
So what you're saying is that despite having a thorough process with a good deal of oversight and investigation, very bad things can still happen? This is my shocked face.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:40   #28
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Looking like the results of the KIWI gun confiscation program is a little lack-luster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI News

After Multiple Reports About New Zealanders Turning In Guns, Guess How Many Actually Did It? by Tyler Durden Thu, 03/21/2019 - 07:22

Following reports that a flood of New Zealand gun owners have been voluntarily surrending their firearms in the wake of last Friday's Christchurch mosque attack that left 50 dead, the numbers are in on how many Kiwis actually handed over their weapons.

Out of an estimated 1.2 million registered guns, New Zealand police report that as of Tuesday night, 37 firearms have been surrendered nationwide, according to BuzzFeed.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...M62kfvvpfdrw0U.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44   #29
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Looking like the results of the KIWI gun confiscation program is a little lack-luster?
Uh...huh.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47   #30
tonyz
Area Commander

The protection of speech versus censorship i.e., the freedom to download and read the manifesto has entered into the NZ debate.

Complete article at link.

New Zealand mosque killings spark debate over free speech

Washington Times
By NICK PERRY - Associated Press - Sunday, March 24, 2019
DUNEDIN, New Zealand (AP) - New Zealanders are debating the limits of free speech after their chief censor banned a 74-page manifesto written by the man accused of slaughtering 50 people at two mosques in the city of Christchurch.

The ban, issued Saturday, means anybody caught with the document on their computer could face up to 10 years in prison, while anyone caught sending it could face 14 years. Some say the ban goes too far and risks lending both the document and the gunman mystique.

At the same time, many local media organizations are debating whether to even name the Australian man charged with murder in the March 15 attacks, 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant, after New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern vowed she would never mention him by name.

In some ways, Tarrant’s manifesto provides the greatest insight into his character and thinking, with neighbors and those he met in a gym in the sleepy seaside town of Dunedin recalling nothing particularly remarkable about him.

Chief Censor David Shanks said Tarrant’s manifesto contains justifications for acts of tremendous cruelty like killing children and encourages acts of terrorism, even outlining specific places to target and methods to carry out attacks.

He said that in banning the document, he and his staff worried about drawing more attention to it. But in the end, he said, they decided they needed to treat it the same way as propaganda from groups like the Islamic State, which they have also banned.

Shanks had earlier placed a similar ban on the 17-minute livestream video the killer filmed from a camera mounted on his helmet during the shootings. He said researchers and journalists could apply for exemptions from both bans.

But while free speech advocates haven’t questioned banning the graphic video, they said banning the manifesto is a step too far.

“People are more confident of each other and their leaders when there is no room left for conspiracy theories, when nothing is hidden,” said Stephen Franks, a constitutional lawyer and spokesman for the Free Speech Coalition. “The damage and risks are greater from suppressing these things than they are from trusting people to form their own conclusions and to see evil or madness for what it is.”

<snip>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...bate-over-fre/

Marcus Tullius Cicero