Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 04-20-2018, 20:56   #121
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
OK, another dilemma question. Since my Glock 19 has the nice plastic factory sights (sarcasm LOL), I was thinking about having them replaced with steel sights. A friend of mine suggested Frank Proctor Y Notch Sights which has a serrated rear/and front fiber optic sight. So, any opinions or other advice on steel replacement sights for my Glock?

Oh, and by the way we did buy a new pistol and I think TS would be so proud. A HK VP 9....sweet...now I need to have some time to shoot that bad boy..... Maybe I will take it to my training May 5th to get some usage out of it.
I prefer night sights.

My favorite are the Trijicons, but take a look at several brands and pick the ones you prefer.

Stick with the green dots, the sights will remain visible longer.

Alternate is the combo tritium and fiber optic, like the Tru-Glo.

They are easily found on line.

Unless you have installed a set before, I recommend that you have a gunsmith put them on. The front one takes an odd wrench and the back some hammering, or a sight removal tool.

The factory Glock sights suck. Good upgrade.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:56   #122
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I prefer night sights.

My favorite are the Trijicons, but take a look at several brands and pick the ones you prefer.

Unless you have installed a set before, I recommend that you have a gunsmith put them on. The front one takes an odd wrench and the back some hammering, or a sight removal tool.

TR
TR: Thanks, I will do some research on some others and narrow it down. I do have to say I like the green sights. The HK VP9 that I just bought has them, and they are sweet. I do intend on having them installed by a gunsmith, I would never try that on my own. LOL....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:50   #123
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I prefer night sights.

TR
I can attest to the resiliency and ease of use of Tru-Glo TFO. 6 years later, the tritium still shines. Mine is yellow rear and green front. That contrast is extremely easy to pick from bright sun to pitch black. Your countless encounter with traffic stops already conditions you with green = go....so from acquire to engage it should take less than 0.03
The steel frame has withstood years of getting banged/dinged/scraped during classes and various competitions. I do have to put thin layer of paint to stop the exposed past from rust though

Also came across this excellent tips:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/..._campaign=0518

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:38   #124
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I can attest to the resiliency and ease of use of Tru-Glo TFO. 6 years later, the tritium still shines. Mine is yellow rear and green front. That contrast is extremely easy to pick from bright sun to pitch black. Your countless encounter with traffic stops already conditions you with green = go....so from acquire to engage it should take less than 0.03
The steel frame has withstood years of getting banged/dinged/scraped during classes and various competitions. I do have to put thin layer of paint to stop the exposed past from rust though

Also came across this excellent tips:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/..._campaign=0518

Thanks, those are great tips. That's why I have an instructor, because working with people with that kind of experience makes you more situationally aware; not only in your shooting practices, but in everyday life. Funny that you found something from Shooting Illustrated, I get that magazine....LOL..

Great advice on the sights as well....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 05-10-2018, 07:34   #125
rsdengler
Area Commander

Hey, thanks to everyone who gave me such great advice. I went to another training class 5/5 & I did great. I had no issues what so ever with my first time drawing from a holster. I really had a blast, and my new instructor is awesome, funny as crap too. A bit hyper , and addicted to Tic-Tacs like me. He said I did really well, and he taught me a lot more than my other instructor. I just have to practice not to "jerk" the trigger. A little dry firing practice at night, and I need to slow it down when I pull the trigger after I hit the 80% wall; all in mind to take my time the last 20% before I pull the trigger.

My next training won't be until around September, my "other half" thinks I don't need the classes. But I think I still need a bit more instruction. Plus I want too do it and it's my money...HA..... So hurry up hunting season....LOL

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita