Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Can this be accomplished successfully? Yes

Do you accept the challenge? Yes

Where do you start? Charleston, SC

What route do you take? SC > NC > TN > KY > MO > NE > WY > ID > OR

Where do you plan to finish? Waldport, OR

How long do you think it will take you?
Journey is roughly 2900 miles, at 7 miles a day for 450 days will come out to 3150 miles. So I decide to play it safe and go with 475 days to finish.

What is in your field gear?
-Cold weather sleeping bag (4 pounds)
- x2 pair of hiking boots (6 pounds)
- x1 pair of hiking shoes/trail running (2 pounds)
- CLOTHING package of two pair of gloves, 4 pants (some will be woodland BDU), a beanie, a Cold weather jacket, a dozen socks, shirts, and long sleeve tops will be around 13-15 pounds
- poncho
- deciding not to bring a tent, and rather make a shelter if it asolutely required it

What modern items are critical, and what items from the period will work for you?
- Sewing kit
- Hygiene kit (8 bars of soap, x3 tubes of toothpaste)
- Medkit: antibiotics, ibuprofen, gauze, etc. (4 pounds)

What are your priorities?
Compass, map, medical kit
- first starting kit, matches, lighters, etc

How will you carry it?
ALICE pack - estimated weight will be 55-65 pounds in the pack, and weapon will be roughly 10 pounds.

What firearms will you take?
HK417 (9 pounds), 20 inch barrel
- 6 flashbangs to ward off a grizzly or something

How much ammo, accessories, etc.?
- 400 rounds of 7.62x51 @ roughly 22 pounds
- ACOG

What edged tools do you take?
- Machete 1 pound
- E tool 1.5 pounds
- 2 multitools - 1 pound
- sharpener

What navigational aids do you take?
- military compass and maps of the US
- flashlight (preferrably surefire) with extra batteries (wont be used commonly, only for emergency purposes, so not taking many batteries)

What do you think your odds are of successfully completing this journey?
- 90% chance of success

What do you do in the 30 days before you leave?
- study study study survival guides and flora and fauna along my journey (whats edible, whats not, how to cook, how to set traps, etc etc)

Let’s think this one through as stated first, we can do branches and sequels later.

Thoughts?

TR

I just saw this awesome thread and thought I'd throw my plan out there - I made sure to not read any other replies so I don't start copying ideas.

Last edited by dknob; 12-19-2011 at 10:30.
dknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 17:35   #212
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknob View Post
I just saw this awesome thread and thought I'd throw my plan out there - I made sure to not read any other replies so I don't start copying ideas.
Kudos for your honesty.

If you read the thread, you will see why several of your choices could be improved upon. Might be worth doing now and adjust fire as needed.

What states do you plan to be in during the 1-2 winters you will be travelling? I wouldn't want it to be in any of the last four you named with the gear you have listed when the snows come.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 17:57   #213
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Kudos for your honesty.

If you read the thread, you will see why several of your choices could be improved upon. Might be worth doing now and adjust fire as needed.

What states do you plan to be in during the 1-2 winters you will be travelling? I wouldn't want it to be in any of the last four you named.

TR
Glad to see this back in the loop. Recent political events have had me reconsidering the length of the trip.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 12-19-2011 at 18:02.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24   #214
dknob
Asset

Quote:
Kudos for your honesty.

What states do you plan to be in during the 1-2 winters you will be travelling? I wouldn't want it to be in any of the last four you named with the gear you have listed when the snows come.

TR
The way I see it - if I start in Charleston and move NW to cross the apps through NC and then to central TN is about 400 miles, at my distance of 7 miles a day that SHOULD take 2 months. But Im allocating 3 months to make that trek. And I decided to do it starting November and finish that leg in January.

Second leg would be from TN to NW Missouri another 400 miles which at 7 miles a day will be 2 months long. Even though I foresee myself doing much more then 7 in these states for some days. This will be from January to March.

Third leg would be from NW Missouri to Northern Nebraska - another 400 miles in 2 months at the most. This will be from March to May.

Fourth leg will take me to the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 miles later from Northern Nebraska to central Wyoming - From May to July.

Starting in Central Wyoming, I give myself more then enough time to get to the Western Idaho - a whopping 5 months - I should need only 4 since im traveling this leg from July to November.

Last leg is from Idaho to the coast of Oregon, another 400 miles in about 2 months from November to January.

-----------------
In terms of equipment changes:
* 550 cord, 200 + feet.
* Although I do have a cold weather sleeping bag that I saw on amazon that seems legit - I will also bring a single person tent to battle the elements.
* i will have a map of the US as mentioned, but it obviously wont be 1:24,000 or whatever you mentioned before. Just enough to show me the major rivers, ranges, etc (landmarks).
*Although I will bring a map of a very detailed pacific northwest because in case something goes wrong and Im in Southern Oregon instead of Northern Oregon and I dont know my bearings. i can end up walking south towards california and miss my ride.
* I still wont bring electornics - i dont need them.
* water purifiers? Ive humped the shit out of the balkan mountain ranges as wel as the rockys. you dont need water purifiers.. you definitely dont need them in 1700.
* Food wise - some reserve packets of very high caloric meals, nothing too bulky - 4-5 pounds worth.

So I rpobably upped my weight to about 10 pounds so im looking at a 68-72 pound ruck.
dknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:15   #215
tonyz
Area Commander

In the spirit of the OP...

The epitome of long distance wilderness travel on YouTube - Nation Geographic movie - 42 minutes - before it's pulled down.

1804-06 Lewis and Clark Expedition Documentary

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc9tG9a...%3DMc9tG9aD3P4

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:52   #216
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
I don't mean to necropost but I often think of this exercise, certainly a daunting proposition. The Corp of Discovery Expedition illustrates several of the challenges and hardships one would encounter.

It seemed that information that gives one foresight to possible routes would be very beneficial....

It occurs that rail road routes could be a good reference as they required certain parameters in order to be built, grade, routes, terrain, etc... It seemed there must be more specific information available that would be helpful to the journey... similar to a road atlas. Turns out there is information about routes and details. One such example is from the partnership of Kit Carson and John Fremont. " The Exploring Expedition to the Rocky Mountains and Northern California"
Narrative:
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/96822#page/1/mode/1up

In it's day it was used as an atlas, a travel guide, and an adventure read.
Kit Carson story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLxsSGO2VWE
21 minute mark...
Next trip across the country might have a few detours to explore some of the history.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 05-19-2017 at 09:02.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote