Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 08-22-2012, 05:49   #1
albeham
Quiet Professional

What to bring to a Jamboree?

Hello all,

Being a Scout Master heading to the Jamboree next year in West By-God Virgina .

Several folks had a little discussion of what to bring as in first aid.

This is the scenario : Each troop will have 35 boys, 13 to 18 yrs old, 4 adult leaders. 10 days in tents on open fields. weather sunny sky's to heavy thunder storms. avg temps low 60s and highs in the 80's.

location of events are at least 3 miles one way from the camps, up and down hills, yes they are carrying a day back. (lunch, water, etc. )

Each leader is trained in some sort of first aid. I am hanging with a SS medic.

so what should we bring, need to bring and nice to bring?

Its about the numbers, i.e. how many band-aids and what kind.

These boys are from all over the US and come from many different back grounds. So we are looking at many basic needs that can happen while we are out. Blisters, foot issues, ect. But the SS and I are also looking at the what ifs. Like a mass-causality event. Like what happened in the mid-west when the camp was hit by a tornado.

Our SP is July 15 next year. I don't need a M5 bag..but.....

AL

I am just a commo guy... !!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:12   #2
neecheepure
Quiet Professional

before you go...

Screen for allergies and prescribed meds; make sure you've got those bases covered both medically and legally (i.e, who can administer what in what situation in the state you're working in, and wavers signed, etc) before you worry about a mass cas.

Just my two cents, but I'd focus most of my planning on the little bird turds most likely to hit the fan rather than that once in a million wagon-load of manure being thrown into the windmill. Best thing you can do for a catastrophe is have a good comms plan in place!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I am not a medic but when I go out I carry-

Bandaids, various sizes
4X4's
Adhesive tape
Antibacterial cream
Bactine
Ibuprofen
4" Ace bandage
2" Ace bandage
Cotton swabs
Tweezers
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23   #4
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

Here is what I would suggest..

Just my opinion as a former EMT-I...

One of these for the leadership to have and use: Leader's Kit. Only about $47.50 and seems to have a very good list of supplies to cover situations at your level. Anything more than this kit can address would most likely be delt with by medics on site at the Jambouree.

I would also suggest that EACH scout carry one of these: Individual Kit at $8 a pop each scout needs to have some basic supplies of their own.

I would use items from the individual kits first, then dig into the leader kit for stuff you need. You might also consider grabbing a box or two of regular band-aids to suppliment.

Quick math for Individual kits and one leaders kit is about $330 plus shipping ( unless you have a local REI ) Pretty affordable with about 11 months to raise some cash.

Just my thoughts,

Cake
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance

Last edited by Cake_14N; 08-22-2012 at 12:24. Reason: 35 boys, not 20...
Cake_14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 13:17   #5
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I am not a medic but when I go out I carry-

Bandaids, various sizes
4X4's
Adhesive tape
Antibacterial cream
Bactine
Ibuprofen
4" Ace bandage
2" Ace bandage
Cotton swabs
Tweezers
I'm just going to expand on Mark's list:

Ice paks
Triangular slings
Benadryl (OTC kind)
Age appropriate tylenol
Blood/Glucose monitoring kit (Can be picked up at any Rite Aid/Walgreen's/ect)
Glucose tabs
Pocket mask(s)
Oral or Nasal airways (I know this might be a stretch, but it would be good to have a kit, just in case)
Eye wash kits
Eye patch kits
Saline flush(either bottle or can type)
Nu skin
Neosporin
Nasal saline flushes
Emergency blankets/Burn blankets
Sting relief (for those with non-serious allergic reactions)
Alcohol pads (for those "quick" clean up of scraps)
Scissors/Trauma shears

ETA: Baby powder (for those occasional flare ups of keester itch)

Just a few things off the top of my head.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by Sdiver; 08-22-2012 at 14:55.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 14:33   #6
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

What to Bring?

In addition to the above mentioned items: A good reference medical book
e g "The Merck Manual." current edition. &surgical gloves.
Recommend each scout purchase & read "First Aid Merit Badge Book."This would be a good opportunity for some of the scouts to earn the First Aid Merit Badge. Regard's, TK
Old 08-22-2012, 16:14   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Sdiver- Those are all good items. This small kit is for my day pack for minor owiees....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 16:41   #8
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Al,
I took the Wilderness First Aid Course as a requirement for Philmont. The class was a good "clear the cob-webs " event and helped bond the adult leaders early in the process. I have a troop sized list from the class I will pass on to you. Also know who is on maintenance meds and most importantly who comes off them for the summer. This is a big issue these days and I am not beyond requireing a parent to come along if they insist on turning off the meds.
More to follow.
AO
PS: don't forget coms...

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 16:46   #9
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeham View Post
Hello all,

Being a Scout Master heading to the Jamboree next year in West By-God Virgina .

Several folks had a little discussion of what to bring as in first aid.

This is the scenario : Each troop will have 35 boys, 13 to 18 yrs old, 4 adult leaders. 10 days in tents on open fields. weather sunny sky's to heavy thunder storms. avg temps low 60s and highs in the 80's.

location of events are at least 3 miles one way from the camps, up and down hills, yes they are carrying a day back. (lunch, water, etc. )

Each leader is trained in some sort of first aid. I am hanging with a SS medic.

so what should we bring, need to bring and nice to bring?

Its about the numbers, i.e. how many band-aids and what kind.

These boys are from all over the US and come from many different back grounds. So we are looking at many basic needs that can happen while we are out. Blisters, foot issues, ect. But the SS and I are also looking at the what ifs. Like a mass-causality event. Like what happened in the mid-west when the camp was hit by a tornado.

Our SP is July 15 next year. I don't need a M5 bag..but.....

AL

I am just a commo guy... !!
Al

I have been to two and you and the boys will have a great time. The time will pass so fast. You will find that every troop will have supplies, every venue will also have medical supplies so you will not need to pack an M5 bag everywhere. The Jamboree will have staged medical support through out the camps. I would recommend that each scout carry a small kit. We prepared fanny packs back in the day with the basic snivel gear. We had each patrol carry a M size bag with first-aid items and chemical Icepack. A lot of the guys have recommended items that will be needed. You will find it will be hard to keep up with the boys so I would recommend that they not be burdened with toooooo many items. They will be all over and there will be more than enough assistance if anyone needs help.

Just my 2 cents.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:37   #10
albeham
Quiet Professional

Leaders..Thank you for the support lists.

The wisdom is vast and will be passed to the med team .

All of the points are going to be addressed, if not used.

Yes there will be site medics, AID STATIONS. Its that first few moments of rendering First aid that matters.

I like the each scout carry idea.

The medic and I are going to present to the BAC team. I know what I am carrying and yes, training to clear out the webs.

Meds.. maintenance meds..very good point.

Commo plan.. I will have it and will share it. (cell, ham radio, FRS, runner, map)

If there are any pdfs, etc, that any of you want to send me, please do.

AL

Last edited by albeham; 08-27-2012 at 05:42.
albeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 15:00   #11
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Al,
Attached is the inventory list we use for our First Aid Kits. There are three versions, soft side, hard side and backpack.
The only difference between all three is the quanity of the expendible items.
HTH
Arnold
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SKMBT_C55012082916090.pdf (894.2 KB, 13 views)

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:22   #12
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

Scout Camp 1st aid

Albeham,
I was a scout leader for 10 yrs, lots of summer camps etc. Each scout is supposed to have their own 1st aid kit. It will cover the general scrapes, scratches, burns, bites and blisters. Before we went to a summer camp I reviewed the medical history of each kid to see if there were any special issues, i.e. diabetes, allergies, med requirements etc. If there were I would get with the kids parents and make sure the kid had what they needed i.e. epi pens, insulin etc. If they were on chronic meds like ADD meds, they have to be kept at the base aid station and dispensed from there. The troop/I had my own personal aid bag but still most of that was for the general maladies. Dispensing even over the counter meds is controversial so be careful there. I'm a PA and it was acceptable for me to give OTC meds with parental consent. If you encounter something outside the realm of your aid kit get the kid to the aid station. In my experience they usually had an EMT type there and or a nurse, both of which were more than capable of triaging a pt. If they need to, they can activate the EMS.
Have fun and don't worry too much. A friend of mine once told me, "A kid can take a fall that would kill a horse, so relax."

Last edited by Boomer-61; 09-03-2012 at 07:24.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote