Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 01-14-2018, 10:17   #16
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Words still have meaning

"Huddled masses yearning to breath free"

Does not mean people who want a free life. (Free healthcare, education, food stamps etc...)

Like many, I am all for LEGAL immigration of those who want to build a better life for themselves and their family through solid work ethic. Not people who just want an easy life at the expense of others.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:24   #17
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I’m still having a problem with why is it so bad to call some place a Shit Hole?

I thought it was a pretty common term.

Tooooo many special snow flakes out there.....

What will happen when he calls someone a Shit Head? Will Dems heads explode
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50   #18
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
I’m sure he probably said that: “Dick (Durbin) you’re a Shit Head!”

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:09   #19
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
We can only hope............
Old 01-14-2018, 14:41   #20
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
We can only hope............
For the largest roll of toilet paper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charmin-Bear-vs-Giant-Roll.jpg (81.2 KB, 29 views)

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 16:22   #21
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

RichL025, if at any point last night you felt I was not inclusive enough to know that those immigrants from the UK and specifically Ireland are not considered part of Europe my apologies. Yes, the Irish have always for some reason beyond my understanding have been excluded from social acceptance. I don’t know why. I know a great many people came to America during the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth centuries and built communities largely isolated from other ethnic groups.

My point was to show (not prove) that the US has had many different criteria’s throughout the years as to who it accepted and who it rejected for immigration purposes before the Immigration and Natralization Act of 1952.

Everything President Trump has proposed in controlling the free exchange of foreign nationals and those here for temporary reasons is within the laws of the INA and has been ignored by presidents and congress alike for political reasons. Often at a detriment of social order.

In regards to DACA many of these illegal immigrants have had many opportunities to become naturalized citizens but for reasons I do not know (understand) have chosen to remain illegal immigrants. Times up! (I secretly know these children don’t want their parents deported by registering and exposing their stories.) That’s too bad. It’s the law!

If you are unhappy with the law change the law! Don’t complain about it and do nothing.

As for St. Paddy’s day I love Guinness, a good Black&Tan with Bass Ale and Colcannon mash potatoes. Throw in some beef stew and I’m as happy as a kilt wearing Celt rebelling against conformity.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 17:42   #22
tonyz
Area Commander

Among other travels, I've been to every major city in this country and then some...all have pockets of shitholes occupied by some good folks...and certainly some shitheads.

Based on my very informal observation - we have more than enough shitholes and shitheads already right here in the good ole USA.

D.C. should seek to minimize both here at home - not import more.

On this D.C. has been a fail.

What's the definition of insanity?

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 20:39   #23
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Well I am not as PC their are alot of shitholes out there though I have only been on 3 continents but I would not consider Europe, Britain to be shitholes and I doubt the POTUS does either....and who cares the liberals??? they can kiss my white ass...the college kids? there opinions don't matter they don't know anything yet. Lets acknowledge that those living in and leading the governments of these shitholes know they are shitholes. I am grateful I am an American born and bred....my mother is a Swede and I am grateful I was not born in that liberal place with a wacky government and no rights to protect my self or family and worse yet no rights to even speak about it.....my mother and many Germans living where I grew up felt the same way....America is the most advanced civilization in the world.....God Bless America.

There are lesser poorer areas in America and it is still better than the shitholes out there I grew up in one.....this is America we have opportunity.....my fathers was most German and some Indian....Tribe was UNK my GGF was taken from a reservation in Oklahoma in the 1890's and given a white name so he had no idea what trail of tears his people walked.....many lines of my fathers family is traced back to every war the great world wars, civil war both sides, indian wars, and sons of the American revolution, right down to settling this country with Pocahontas and John Rolfe and one line back to the old countries to an ancestor who was a killed fighting in Jeruselum in 1095? as a templar.....oh by the way they were not wealthy they were the poor, indentured and hungry spoke of and a warrior class willing to fight for something better.....the people that came to this country are the best they are the explorers that saw man as supreme beings meant to advance and conquer.....not be content living in a tribal culture that does not advance.....they were not content with the state of existence in this world....God Bless America....

People who came here wanted more and got it....this country represents every nation on the planet and we live together in relative peace and solidarity....America...we are the evolution of the world this country is the way that the world needs to see......we figured it out the rest of the world needs to figure it out but by being the guiding light we have a responsibility to keep this country strong.....even the shitholes need a light in the darkness to advance their own societies....but fuck anyone who wants to come here not assimilate and turn this chosen nation into a shithole.....'MERICA

Being sensitive about a country that is a shithole is ignorant like I said they know it and so does everyone else if not then everyone would be going their not here. Societies and people must advance and rid ourselves of tribalism that is the meaning of America.....GOD BLESS AMERICA

https://youtu.be/q6N4zKM2cZs

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 01-14-2018 at 20:55.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 21:28   #24
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
RichL025, if at any point last night you felt I was not inclusive enough to know that those immigrants from the UK and specifically Ireland are not considered part of Europe my apologies.
No, actually, I was referring to non-white immigrants from asia and latin america which occurred at the same time. Eliis island was only for those coming from Europe (whether you consider the Brit Isles part of it o rnot is a separate discussion <g>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post

As for St. Paddy’s day I love Guinness, a good Black&Tan with Bass Ale and Colcannon mash potatoes. Throw in some beef stew and I’m as happy as a kilt wearing Celt rebelling against conformity.
Arghhh, yer killin me!

Kilts are Scottish, not Irish (although to be fair some Irish national-identity types started wearing them in the late 1800s / early 1900s, but there is no history before that of Irishmen wearing kilts. Irishmen wearing kilts is basically trying to piggyback on the successful brand from the scotts)

And not only is a "Black and Tan" a waste of a good stout, the name stems from a Protestant paramilitary organization accused of multiple civil rights abuses, some would say terror, against the Catholics. Most of the US Irish diaspora are catholics, so this is like celebrating the KKK on MLK day!

Well, OK, I'm being a _little_ melodramatic and just a touch pedantic. Pet peeve of mine. And I freely admit I am in the annoying minority when I remind most Americans of the above facts.

Still, the "Black and Tan" thing kills me....

Back on track, I agree with you that "dreamers" should not be granted automatic citizenship because their parents broke the law. And I actually agree with what POTUS is doing in trying to force congress to make laws regarding immigration policy, instead of governing by fiat like his predecessor. But justice must also be tempered with mercy, and we have to find a way to not punish innocent people while at the same time not encouraging future lawbreakers (or line-jumpers, if you prefer).

And even if we use the term "lawbreakers" to describe illegal immigrants (they DID break immigration laws after all), I have more than a little sympathy for people trying to escape the 'shitholes' they live in just so they can WORK and provide for their families. Again, my ancestors came here to escape famine and political opression. Ireland was a SHITHOLE in the 18th/19th centuries, as were many other European countries.
Old 01-14-2018, 21:31   #25
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

What irks me is that so many people are now speaking up about being from one of those shithole nations. "I was from X, but now I'm a doctor. Now I'm a genius scientist. Now I'm a teacher. Now I'm a computer geek, etc." The point being, they've done well here in America and are not a burden. The U.S.A. is still the best place for anyone to improve their lot in life if they study, work, save, live a good, clean life. Welcome.

What kills me is that NONE of these critical immigrants, upon hearing their former country called a shithole, think to go back to their shithole nation and with their experience as a doctor, scientist, teacher, etc, help their shithole nation improve itself. They're here in America for good, which is fine, but don't criticize anyone for calling your former country a shithole if you're not wiling to go back and fix it. You left it because it IS a shithole.

S.
Old 01-14-2018, 21:48   #26
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
People who came here wanted more and got it...
There you go, they went through selection! Half of my line came on the Mayflower (and half of them died in the first winter) and the other half were Irish and came much later. It was a tough road for both sides.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 22:23   #27
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
There you go, they went through selection! Half of my line came on the Mayflower (and half of them died in the first winter) and the other half were Irish and came much later. It was a tough road for both sides.

Pat
The whole immigration thing is the Dems really only want to bring an underclass that increases voter base....most people here to work and seize opportunity see through it l....liberals need to bring in those who seek to benefit from their policies which just reduces this nation to a shithole....we want to allow people in also but we want value added work ethic, honest progression, future leaders and productive loyal.citizens who appreciate the opportunity......if we allow this country to deteriorate into a welfare state we will be of no value to the world and the hope for those who want more will be extinguished......
Old 01-14-2018, 22:35   #28
Razor
Quiet Professional

"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

I dare say more folks know that poem than the one on the Statue of Liberty. Since this poem is so popular, are we then to hold true without question that there's an above average incident rate of auditory canal trauma in Rhode Island?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 22:55   #29
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

I dare say more folks know that poem than the one on the Statue of Liberty. Since this poem is so popular, are we then to hold true without question that there's an above average incident rate of auditory canal trauma in Rhode Island?
The limerick you are referring to is not engraved at the base of what is probably the most recognizable symbol of America.

The poem by Pound is.
Old 01-14-2018, 22:56   #30
spaike97
Asset

I think his point is not that America should really stop accepting immigration from these countries, but to propose a merit-based system to make sure that America gets people who are actually skillful or educated.
spaike97 is offline   Reply With Quote