Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 01-04-2018, 06:18   #1
AbleArcher
Asset

Gift ideas for newly commissioned officer

My nephew will shortly be receiving his commission into the Irish Defence Forces.

I'd like to commemorate this with a special kind of gift that he'll hold on to for years, or possibly generations.

As an engineer, I'd like to incorporate some element of personalization- either through custom fabrication, or modification (e.g. engraving) of an existing piece.

What are some of the better gift ideas that you've heard of? What is something that a 20yr old butterbar might hold onto and find inspirational / useful over the course of his career?
AbleArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:47   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

One pip

One pip, eh?

Assigned a unit yet? Branch? Regiment?

Useful or something to hang on the wall?

Is there something peculiar to the IDF that officers use?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:07   #3
AbleArcher
Asset

It's confirmed that he's going infantry, but I don't think he gets his ultimate unit assignment until he finishes his university degree (The Irish do things a little back to front).

I'd prefer something useful, but I'm open to all good ideas.

As for things that are peculiar to the IDF- officers in class A's have the option of wearing swords. His parents are getting that for him.

As for other notable differences, I'm not sure. All of my (limited) military experience was with the US Army (many moons ago).

Last edited by AbleArcher; 01-04-2018 at 07:12.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:20   #4
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Infantry Officer's Watch, Automatic. Look at Victorinox. Swiss made with the venerable ETA 2824-2 movement.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09   #5
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleArcher View Post
My nephew will shortly be receiving his commission into the Irish Defence Forces.

I'd like to commemorate this with a special kind of gift that he'll hold on to for years, or possibly generations.

As an engineer, I'd like to incorporate some element of personalization- either through custom fabrication, or modification (e.g. engraving) of an existing piece.

What are some of the better gift ideas that you've heard of? What is something that a 20yr old butterbar might hold onto and find inspirational / useful over the course of his career?
A signed copy of The Mission, the Men, and Me

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 13:47   #6
AbleArcher
Asset

Great suggestions so far- keep 'em coming!

@Brush Okie - what sort of details do you mean?

Haha- got him a compass (and a map to his "real" present) for his birthday before he went to camp. I've found that things are appreciated more when you have to work for them.
Old 01-04-2018, 17:49   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
A compass

Just kidding. A few more details would help. Congrats to the new butter bar.
Aaaarrrrgh! Beat me to it!

A compass with an azimuth lockdown device!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0202.jpg (35.1 KB, 16 views)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:29   #8
AbleArcher
Asset

Okie-

I'd rather if it were something useful (even if it's only used on special occasions), but I'm open to all suggestions.

I'm not aware of any traditions particular to the Irish Defence Forces (it's possible that there are a few members on here who might enlighten me). It's a tiny force (Ireland follows a committed policy of neutrality) with a contentious and politically charged history. Many of the force structures and organization were adopted from the Brits, but at the same time, much of the culture / tradition was explicitly rejected. There's nothing wrong with starting new traditions though.

He is not particularly religious.

It doesn't have to be military related, but when he interacts with it, I want him to be reminded of the important first step he's taken in his military career.

While he was playing Gaelic sports (pre armed forces), his nickname was "Kamikaze" for his tendency to rush in to situations with reckless abandon. If possible, I'd like to include the inscription "Even Kamikazes wore helmets" on it.

Thanks for the great ideas so far.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:55   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Small side gift

As a small side gift a copy of the short book "The Defense of Duffer's Drift" would be appropriate.

Critical thinking never goes out of style.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41   #10
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
As a small side gift a copy of the short book "The Defense of Duffer's Drift" would be appropriate.

Critical thinking never goes out of style.
Pete,

Great recommendation.

Duffer's Drift was the original.... What I was told to read. It has since been copied in more modern settings.

The Defense of Hill 781: An Allegory of Modern Mechanized Combat by James R Mcdonough - This is set at NTC during mech force on force combat. I read this after Duffer's Drift which it parallels very closely. This, in combination with Duffer's Drift is great for a young officer.

The Defense of Jisr al-Doreaa by Michael L. Burgoyne, Albert J. Marckwardt, John A. Nagl (Foreword) - This is the latest "re-write" of Duffer's Drift by vets of the Iraq counterinsurgency fight. Set in a COIN scenario. I haven't read this, so I can't comment beyond saying that I believe that in general, the Army needs to get back to focusing on major conventional operations and not chai guzzling and whack-a-mole ops. Especially young officers, so on that alone, I'd start with the other one (hill 781).

Some other books i'd put on the reading / gift list

Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II - Charles B. Macdonald - This is a classic written after the war. You want to get a feel for what it's like to be a Infantry company commander in the big one. This is it.

Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat - by James R. McDonough - PL Perspective from VN

The Killing Zone: My Life in the Vietnam War - by Frederick Downs Jr - Great book from a perspective of a PL in VN

Aftermath: A Soldier's Return from Vietnam - by Frederick Downs Jr- Another good one by the same guy dealing with his recovery after stepping on a mine.

I picked this next book up as I was starting down the SF Path. ..

Once a Warrior King - by David Donovan. 1LT VN advisory team leader in the Mekong Delta Good book, entertaining. Read this as I started down the path to SF.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:12   #11
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Something for field time or couch time...

A liner ( wooby )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brovo Bull's Graduate 2017 G1RL.jpg (36.9 KB, 38 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 20:57   #12
spaike97
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleArcher View Post
Okie-

I'd rather if it were something useful (even if it's only used on special occasions), but I'm open to all suggestions.

I'm not aware of any traditions particular to the Irish Defence Forces (it's possible that there are a few members on here who might enlighten me). It's a tiny force (Ireland follows a committed policy of neutrality) with a contentious and politically charged history. Many of the force structures and organization were adopted from the Brits, but at the same time, much of the culture / tradition was explicitly rejected. There's nothing wrong with starting new traditions though.

He is not particularly religious.

It doesn't have to be military related, but when he interacts with it, I want him to be reminded of the important first step he's taken in his military career.

While he was playing Gaelic sports (pre armed forces), his nickname was "Kamikaze" for his tendency to rush in to situations with reckless abandon. If possible, I'd like to include the inscription "Even Kamikazes wore helmets" on it.

Thanks for the great ideas so far.
Maybe a custom made tanto(Japanese dagger)? I know you have the option to put inscription on the tang.
spaike97 is offline   Reply With Quote