Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 05-22-2016, 17:41   #1
275RLTW
Asset

Use of SF images

I'm seeing several people on other forums using SF images (crest, Nous Defions arrows, and Pineland flags), some of whom did not pass or attend selection. Being a Ranger, if someone wears the scroll or diamond, we assume they completed RIP/RASP/served in Range unit/etc... If not, then they are considered a poser and appropriate actions taken. Since SF is not my community, what is the appropriate way to call them out as an outsider as well?

<2> RLTW
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 18:06   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Many Many are posers. Some just drunks looking for a beer at the VFW. Others trying major scams.

Spend some time reading the poser files here. You can understand the modus operandi used to weed out the chaff and understand those that get targeted.

In a nut shell,, make money with lies,, that's a no no..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 18:24   #3
Flagg
Area Commander

I posted a while's back asking about intellectual property rights that could relate to the US Army Special Forces Regiment.

I recall a public stink about Disney attempting to copywrite US Navy NSW prior art.

Since then, a friend visiting(working in a support role for one of your Groups) and I were in Queenstown ordering a beer when we saw this on tap:

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Content...reen-Beret.jpg

Green Beret name and crossed flags logo. They should be paying you guys royalties, or maybe finding another name/logo.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 18:46   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
I posted a while's back asking about intellectual property rights that could relate to the US Army Special Forces Regiment.

I recall a public stink about Disney attempting to copywrite US Navy NSW prior art.

Since then, a friend visiting(working in a support role for one of your Groups) and I were in Queenstown ordering a beer when we saw this on tap:

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Content...reen-Beret.jpg

Green Beret name and crossed flags logo. They should be paying you guys royalties, or maybe finding another name/logo.
Mac is lucky he's across the pond else the evil men and women of Special Forces Command and USASOC would descend on them...... Because of the John Wayne movie "The Green Berets" USASOC covets the name Green Beret........ and they will fight anyone that wants to use the name, even if they don't.

Try to find a product or website here with the name Green Berets.........
Old 05-24-2016, 10:22   #5
Bettendorf
Quiet Professional

He's talking about me. He was attacking me on another forum and threatening to contact my military chain of command. The moderators banned him for it.

There were many, many other forum members who were vouching for me but he couldn't let it drop.

You see, a buddy of 275RLTW's, on another forum, got a guy fired from his job because of something stupid the guy had posted on the interwebs. His friend got banned from that website as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/187...ll_effect.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_20/60..._Colorado.html

Last edited by Bettendorf; 05-24-2016 at 10:36. Reason: added references.
Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 18:53   #6
275RLTW
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettendorf View Post
He's talking about me. He was attacking me on another forum and threatening to contact my military chain of command. The moderators banned him for it.

There were many, many other forum members who were vouching for me but he couldn't let it drop.

You see, a buddy of 275RLTW's, on another forum, got a guy fired from his job because of something stupid the guy had posted on the interwebs. His friend got banned from that website as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/187...ll_effect.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_20/60..._Colorado.html
Since you like to post across several boards, then I will respond.

Yes, you were a concern. One of 3 that day. You jumped on a respected member in our state (a former FLEO) and I asked your class number as I had seen 2 others that day who were falsely representing themselves. Yes, you also had lots of your friends jump in (none of which I knew and being it was arfcom could not be trusted by their words), rather than simply pm me a clas number or anything else representing professionalism. Perhaps it was bad whiskey from the night before or my BS meter being pegged from others, yet your response was typical of those who are trying to hide something and thus fueled my suspicions. From the several posts you've made about this, I've seemed to take up quite a bit of real estate in your thoughts lately; much more than I've anticipated or reciprocated. Yes, I took a ban from arfcom for a discussion with a mod that he didn't like...no loss on my end and I should be grateful as I was looking for a way to avoid that cesspool. You know how to reach me if you care to respond.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 19:33   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

FYI, if you see a user on here with a Quiet Professional moniker... They have been vetted as legit. Keep it respectable or you can add another banned membership to your resume. I can tell you it won't be drawn out like ARFCOM.

If you need references, Wally Rakow was my platoon Sgt in 3/75...
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 19:55   #8
Premsore
Asset

I don't have a dog in this, but am I the only one who sees the irony in that last post?

Since you like to post across several boards, then I will respond.

and

From the several posts you've made about this, I've seemed to take up quite a bit of real estate in your thoughts lately; much more than I've anticipated or reciprocated.
Premsore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 20:48   #9
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premsore View Post
I don't have a dog in this,...
You are right, so stay out of it.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:45   #10
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

275RLTW,

You now know he is vetted and a member here, while you remain a guest. If you have an issue with anyone here you should take it to private messages and work it out like grown men. We know who BETTENDORF is but not who you are.

Many of us here are also Batt Boys, so you are not impressing anyone.

DOL/RLTW
C-Co 2/75

Miclo18d, thats funny, I had Walter Rakow as my first Platoon SGT in 2/75.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 05-25-2016 at 04:49.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 17:57   #11
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
275RLTW,

You now know he is vetted and a member here, while you remain a guest. If you have an issue with anyone here you should take it to private messages and work it out like grown men. We know who BETTENDORF is but not who you are.

Many of us here are also Batt Boys, so you are not impressing anyone.

DOL/RLTW
C-Co 2/75

Miclo18d, thats funny, I had Walter Rakow as my first Platoon SGT in 2/75.
He certainly made the rounds to stay out of the regular army! I think some of his only time out of regiment was at the NCO academy at Benning.

I bumped into him at Bragg when I was in the 18d course. He was talking to his Ranger medics they were all standing at parade rest and I saw him, waved, and I yelled, "hey Sgt Rak...., uh I mean sergeant major!" He mumble something like, "Goddamned Ollie.....grumble grumble" and went on talking to the Rangers.... He was the RSM at the time, I had no idea that he had caught that gig.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
Old 05-25-2016, 19:34   #12
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Jumpin' Jeebus... Rakow. That's a name from the past. Wally Rakow was my roommate at B/2/75. Him, me, and Conan Thornhill sharing an E-5 room on the ground floor. Squad or Section Leaders all. Back when MG(Ret) Ken Bowra was our company commander. 1979-1980 time frame.

275RLTW: Although civilians appropriating SF heraldry & graphics certainly annoy me (in a merely passing way), I could care less if a Brother exercises his earned right to do the same. Or chooses to turn a profit off of it. More power to him. I'll buy his stuff. If some civy Jody wants to wear a killer t-shirt with SF logos to help himself get laid... I could care less. I'm not talking to or otherwise interacting with him anyway. 50 million commercial uniform, gear, and clothing vendors have been turning a profit off of unit heraldry, logos, keepsakes, and graphics for decades. Why get in a twist about it?

On the internet, most of us can spot a SOF poser within a few lines of conversation or BS bio. Sometimes I ignore it. Sometimes I feed them their own rope to be hung with. Depends upon whether I feel like playing cat with a captured mouse. I've mostly got better things to do. Unless they are raking in money, position, or benefits from their lies.

In my post-Army life, I don't advertise SF. I don't wear military affiliation stuff. I don't plaster my vehicles with SF unit logos. I don't present a foothold for unwanted interest or invitation for trouble to intrude from a troubled world. Learned that from some very low key SAS folks many years ago. OPSEC. Logos are for Me-Walls, PT t-shirts, Team Parties, or SF BBQs. I operated that way while I was on Active Duty and I continue that habit in my life today. I'm not interested in visually advertising my background to total strangers.

I think that after a career spent mostly deliberately wearing sterile uniforms or indigenous regalia, most SF guys could give a shit about official Army heraldry. When GEN Shinseki decided to rape 75th for their Black Berets, my serious suggestion was to just give everyone in the Army a Green Beret instead. In return, SF personnel would have been authorized to forever wear no headgear (or headgear of their choice... like cut brim boonies or fur trapper hats), comfortable civilian boots, sterile uniforms, and keep their hands in their pockets without some uniform nazi having a stroke. You'd recognize SF in garrison the same way you did downrange. By what we didn't wear. I thought it was a brilliant idea. Figure the odds.

As noted, anyone on this forum with QP under their name has been privately vetted, in person, and is known to the rest of us. How SF posers or the occasional qualified stray are handled is a private matter. Don't worry yourself about it. In other words: "At Ease In the Harness, Ranger..."

RLTW
B/2/75

Last edited by Astronomy; 05-27-2016 at 21:20.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:17   #13
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Astronomy,

Can you add any details to a rumor that I heard in the quad many years ago? Had something to do with a missing canon from the nearby Field Artillery Unit? Seems it was about your time frame,,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 13:53   #14
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

I don't remember that one. But I remember that several extra 90mms & M60s were discovered during the Great Battalion Health & Welfare back in '78. Either "re-purposed" from 9ID units that seemed to have "lost" them in the field... or built from depot level parts and not officially on any books in the Army.

Off-the-books extra crew served kept on hand to up potential firepower and allow for additional gun teams. They were all zeroed and regularly live fired. Even The WAD was impressed by the sincere explanations his Privates & SP4 Mafia used to justify spare heavy weapons hidden in suspended ceilings. Downing knew his junior Hooahs were serious about their craft when they went to such lengths for a combat edge.

I was in Bad Tölz when one of our SF Bn Flight Detachment Huey Crew Chiefs blew up the HQ entrance monument at 7th Army NCO Academy. It was a steel scaled model of a Soviet T-34 tank, originally used for German AT classes during WWII. About the size of a big gun safe. Used by the SS Officer's School to train dry fire AT gunnery (zeroing, leads, range estimation). Rescued from the Kaserne dump many years later and painted US Army OD with 7th Army patch & brass plaque added. The NCO Academy (BNCOC) students worked off demerits by waxing and tooth brushing it to a sparkling luster. It was the CSM Commandant's pride and joy. Most in 1-10 SF hated it. A Russian tank in US Army livery in the middle of Bavaria. Parked on a concrete pedestal right in the middle of the Flint Kaserne Quadrangle (and directly in front of the Academy main entrance).

So our helicopter hero is plied with free Jack Daniels and encouragement to do something about it. By some barracks dwelling 18Ds. The same ones who gave him the live mine. After drinking all night, with Claymore to hand, he walked past some snoozing MPs parked in the their van, and emplaced the mine under the monument. Then ran out the firing wire back to a basement stairwell, safely shouted "Fire in the Hole!" three times... and hit the clacker. Blew out dozens of windows and shredded that carefully student painted and polished travesty. Also filled the Academy's adjacent student rooms with pellets. Fortunately they were out of cycle that particular early morning. LOL.

They busted him (an E-5) to E-Minus, General Court Martial, Leavenworth. Rehab Bn, time off for good behavior, and he was back crewing Hueys for the 82nd about 2 years later. Made his rank back.

All's Well That Ends Well.

(The above has nothing to do with the thread topic at hand, but fuckit. I saw a metaphorical Ranger Beer Can Campfire spring into view... and it was time for a story anyway. )

Last edited by Astronomy; 05-27-2016 at 21:21.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 16:30   #15
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

This thread is better purposed for Rakow style stories I think!

Blue02hd, I remember Wally telling the platoon about taking something but I recall him saying something about a monument downtown, like a giant clown, or cow, or something. I have never been to Ft Lewis so I don't know the monuments. I recall him saying that it showed up at a formation and the CoC had a shit fit about it.