Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 12-03-2010, 15:41   #31
Penn
Area Commander

DJ, tx for the info. Are you building yours for commercial use, or live work?

Another thought is to bury the units; resolving the HVAC issue.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 16:58   #32
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

To live in.

There are a lot of details that need to be sorted out before I actually move forward. Location, building codes, building inspectors, and I'm sure I'll need to have an engineer or architect to sign off on the plans. Right now I'm still figuring out my design and floor plan and crunching numbers for construction materials. Hell, for that matter, I'm still trying to decide how much house we want!

Because the containers are wind and water tight, you don't want to go punching a bunch of holes in them attaching studs for the interior framing. One option is 2x4 studs and liquid nails. Another is welding in steel studs for the framing. Steel studs will be a bit more expensive - about a buck more per stud.

Buried installations are an interesting idea, but then you've gotta contend with corrosion. For this reason, you really don't want to set your container directly on the ground - it should be at least slightly elevated on a foundation or on pilings. These containers are rated at (IIRC) 65,000lbs, and are designed to carry the load on all four corners, so you really only need four pilings per container. I guess if you wanted to bury it, you could coat the whole thing in tar, though.

Like I said, I've still got a lot of research to do on this. I'd be happy to share anything I've got so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
DJ, tx for the info. Are you building yours for commercial use, or live work?

Another thought is to bury the units; resolving the HVAC issue.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12   #33
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
This is an interesting twist.

Not so much that someone can weld some plates into a shelter..

But that they found a source for hi-quality plate steel,, at the salvage ship yards..

If you live near a salvage operation, you may be able to get some nice plate material to make a safe room,, or ???

Interesting possibilities...

Quote:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...ad-max-zombies

Indestructible Mobile Home Keeps Out Mad Max, Zombies, Charlie Sorrel,
December 20, 2010
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VostokCabin1.jpg (41.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Vostok Cabin by Atelier Van Lieshout.jpg (43.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Vostok Cabin by Atelier Van Lieshout-2.jpg (56.0 KB, 95 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37   #34
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

JJ,

Where did you get the picture of Dusty's house?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48   #35
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
JJ,

eBay,, of course...

Penn if your still in the debating phase??

While looking for STUFF, I stumbled across these containers that may be a partial solution to your quest??

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-8-Guard-Booth...item19b5e6a623

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-40-OFFICE-CONT...item19bf732b9d

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-40-STEEL-STORA...item19bf732bab

Old 02-23-2011, 07:50   #36
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Another option is a pre-fab or custom metal building. I know some ranchers that have built barns/shops and finished out a section for living using metal buildings.

http://www.muellerinc.com/gallery/bu...ce18_h.jpg.php

http://www.muellerinc.com/building/prefab_kits.php

http://www.muellerinc.com/index.php

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57   #37
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
JJ,

I wish! We ain't got no inside plumbin' yet...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:23   #38
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
Interesting thread, why are so many of you folk interested in living in such a tiny space? I don't personally particularly care for the "Wee" houses because they just look too cold (and I don't mean temperature-wise), there is nothing homely about them.
There are as many reasons as...

Old 02-23-2011, 08:49   #39
Penn
Area Commander

TX-JJ & SF, they are good options, especially the barn configurations; and Broad that is your answer; its anything, but confined space. If you do the math $+per/sqft
a 10X10X40 sq/ft base is 2k which works out to $5 per/sqft for basic shelter. Options are endless, but for a modern approach to: think of Mies Van der Glass house, or the "Farnsworth House", its an amazing opportunity. Combined with passive solar and its a no brainer.

Edit to add:http://www.solar.arch.vt.edu/
http://www.lumenhaus.com/index2.html
http://www.farnsworthhouse.org/lumenhaus.htm

Last edited by Penn; 02-23-2011 at 08:59.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28   #40
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Penn,,

Any updates??

I was reading this article and it got me thinking..

Boulder Couple Builds 125 Square-Foot House

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...76/detail.html

And it's on wheels..

Old 03-29-2012, 05:55   #41
Richard
Quiet Professional

I am a fan of Gaudi's architectural concepts and I've actually been thinking about trying something like this.

Richard

Low Impact Woodland Home

http://loveforlife.com.au/node/5917
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34   #42
Penn
Area Commander

JJ, we are currently looking for a small farm 20 ac+/- in Upper Bucks County, Pa. I want to find a secluded hill/home sight and entrench the containers in the side of the hill with a southern exposure. Three 40 X 10 containers for 1200Sq/ft live work space and farm above, invisible below. This is what we settled on as an idea to develop, until the following occurred.

Due to the nature of my business, I have had the opportunity to correspond with a world renown Architect in the Princeton. He was schedule to meet with his staff, and I could not be there that day to take care of the group, so I wrote him a note extending my apologies and ask for him to autograph his book, a first edition, which has been in my possession since it was published. It was well thumbed through with page notations and comments as they surfaced in my mind, they were short, quick +/- on the buildings, or designs.

At any rate, he drew a site plan based on the contents of my note, which included my obsession with shipping containers, covering the two blank inside pages. He included his signature objects in the field as well as a studio/living environment, and he signed the drawing. It's actually, quite incredible.

The problem now is we love the drawing, but its not an efficient use of capital, nor does it conform to the the environment in the way the inverse bank barn of shipping containers do.

Whats the phrase, and so it goes?
Old 03-29-2012, 14:04   #43
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Given the foot print of a 40 ft semi, each unit is approximately 400 sq ft. I like modulars, you can stack or build a structure with three or four boxes and get a moderate abode.

Add a poured formed cellar for storage, shop, man-cave.. Ba Da Bing...

FOG Rant off..

JJ,

This is what we did/are doing. We down-sized 50% to 1200 sq ft. (But, the garage is also 1200 sq ft ) We went modular and took a 3 bedroom floor plan, shrunk one into an office (my wife telecommutes) and found room for a large walk-in pantry. We're on a 3' block foundation. At the moment, we are building a 10' redwood covered deck on three sides and 12' on the back. To give us more room we added a "mud-room" between the house and garage. This is where the washer, dryer, HWH, and freezer are. The house was built with 2x6s and is very well insulated. It was built in about 2 month. OTOH, the site-built garage took 8 months and the deck 4 months.

We are totally off-grid by necessity, not choice. You're right about the cost of being "green". While the well was only $7,000, the solar was $42,500. There are tax credits, but we haven't found out how much they will help yet. I didn't count on them, though.

It's been frustrating at times, but I'm enjoying our new back yard.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 14:37   #44
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

I am Sooo jealous of you guys that can even think about building INTO the ground, or even ON the ground. We are 10 ft up OFF the ground.

Hopefully by the end of the yr we will be heading to North Florida. Hoping to find some high ground inland. We are not doing Preppers, but quiet and country,, and near the big city stuff, like Disney, airports, & medical...

I would love to see some of these plans you guys are cooking??

Old 03-29-2012, 18:07   #45
Penn
Area Commander

This is a current project, I will upload it and then attach the budget as an example of build out for any project.
This is a current project, I will upload it and then attach the budget as an example of build out for any Restaurant project. I am usually the GC for the project. These are pictures before the demo.

Total sq/ft including outside dinning and basement storage 1000sq/ft.
Budget with all work outsourced. I supply all material needed.
Painting contractor is responsible for power washing and then painting the building both inside and out for $650.00
License Electric contractor is responsible for installing low voltage track lighting, hang fixtures and hookup all equipment. He also will run what ever lines are needed. $ 500. 00 per day; to date he has work ed one day and estimates he needs one, possibly 2 to complete the job.
Plumbing contractor is responsible for refitting the design, estimate $4700.00. Has one day of work remaining.
Mechanical engineer drawings for hood duct work, stainless steel panels, and fire suppression system: $5600.00
Architect fees: $750.00
Demo cost: $0
Total to date:12.5K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lambertville outside building 001.jpg (54.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Bench picyure for Elite Belmar 004.jpg (34.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Bench picyure for Elite Belmar 001.jpg (60.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Bench picyure for Elite Belmar 005.jpg (35.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg painting 080.jpg (33.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Penn; 03-29-2012 at 18:27.