Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 02-24-2010, 13:45   #1
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Salvia divinorum and Spice ALERT

The 1MAR2010 issue of the Air Force Times is reporting on Salvia divinorum (Sal D) and "Spice" abuse. The substance is loosely regulated and has LSD like effects. There is a corps wide ban for the USMC and The AF Spec. Ops Command.

"Spice" is a product of Europe. It is made from plant materials that are sprayed with Salvinorin A. (Sal A) , and sold as incense. Sal A is the prime active molecule in Sal D. Sal A is a hallucinogenic compound with psychedelic/dissociative effects, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SalvinorinA, . Sal A is noted to be the only known compound in this class that acts as a kappa opiod agonist. Sal A does not activate the serotonin 2A receptor. Spice is being ingested orally and smoked to produce its psychedelic effects. I have not seen any reports of parenteral use, though is probably has been tried.

In looking to the DEA Office of Diversion Control, www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov, Sal A and Sal D have regulatory controls in 14 states. Several other states have legeslation proposed to regulate these compounds. Several European nations have imposed regulations on Sal A and Sal D. The AF Times article reports that in addition to the USMC and AF Spec Ops, Special Operations Command and several AF facilities have banned Spice and Sal A&D.

The crux of the problem here is the ability to purchase Spice OTC. The purchase is of a potent LSD like drug that has, "unpredictable outcomes when ingested" . There is no control in production of Spice; the active ingredients can vary vastly from packet to packet. While Sal A & D have been around since isolated in 1982, Spice is the new delivery system to watch for.

Be well!

RF 1

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 02-24-2010 at 14:47.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 14:42   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Giant Worm

A giant worm leaping out of the sand just jumped into my mind.

"The spice must flow"
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 16:27   #3
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
A giant worm leaping out of the sand just jumped into my mind.

"The spice must flow"
Ah yes, and we are all Dunned...............sorry,........ Doomed.

RF 1
Old 02-24-2010, 19:43   #4
Shans84
Auxiliary

Looks like I have another UPL update briefing to go to !
Old 02-25-2010, 09:36   #5
rdret1
Quiet Professional

There are several videos on youtube of knuckleheads smoking Salvia. It looks like a short duration, but intense, effect. We haven't seen any here yet fortunately. Another new one we have been told about is "K2", herbs sprayed with a synthetic version of THC. Several states are scrambling to get a handle on it.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47   #6
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Last edited by Dozer523; 12-30-2011 at 05:25.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

'Synthetic' marijuana is problem for US military

'Synthetic' marijuana is problem for US military

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

"SAN DIEGO (AP) -- U.S. troops are increasingly using an easy-to-get herbal mix called "Spice," which mimics a marijuana high and can bring on hallucinations that last for days.

The abuse of the drug has so alarmed military officials that they've launched an aggressive testing program that this year has led to the investigation of more than 1,100 suspected users, according to military figures...................."

The problem appears to be growing.

".................Hurst said the behavior in many cases he witnessed at first seemed akin to schizophrenia. Usually within minutes, however, the person became completely lucid. Sometimes, the person goes in and out of such episodes for days.

He recalled one especially bizarre case of a sailor who came in with his sobbing wife.

"He stood their holding a sandwich in front of him with no clue as to what to do," he said. "He opened it up, looked at it, touched it. I took it and folded it over and then he took a bite out it. But then we had to tell him, `you have to chew.'"......."

Some people can barely handle beer and they want to throw in "Spice"?

So many people are making it with so many variations how can a person be sure they are not smoking rat poison?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

I know I've beaten the shit out of this phrase but I really believe this is as good as it gets: Stupid is as stupid does!!!!.....

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:10   #9
JimP
Quiet Professional

Spice is now prohibited by policy and regulation in all the services. We just tossed a "frequent-flyer" for this as he thought he was smarter than everyone else. Another thing to watch out for is Bath Salts. I kid you not.....

Joe will do some stupid freakin' things... (not that I ever did anything stupid as a young troop...).
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 14:57   #10
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I know I've beaten the shit out of this phrase but I really believe this is as good as it gets: Stupid is as stupid does!!!!.....

Big Teddy
Yup, you are right Big Teddy, this is really dumb. It is unlawful in our county, and is giving the LOE's a hard run to police it. The stuff is just so hard to track down. There are at least two articles per week about "Spice" in our local papers. Nice to see the word is out there so well; now I wonder who is whispering to the press around here??.

RF 1
Old 01-02-2012, 22:46   #11
Sand_Rogue
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Spice is now prohibited by policy and regulation in all the services. We just tossed a "frequent-flyer" for this as he thought he was smarter than everyone else. Another thing to watch out for is Bath Salts. I kid you not.....

Joe will do some stupid freakin' things... (not that I ever did anything stupid as a young troop...).
Those "bath salts" are also synthetic drugs meant to simulate drugs anywhere from meth, to heroin, to cocaine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designe...g_descriptions

I have to wonder though, would legal regulated use in the military of marijuana (like alcohol) work?
Sand_Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:11   #12
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Rogue View Post
Those "bath salts" are also synthetic drugs meant to simulate drugs anywhere from meth, to heroin, to cocaine.

I have to wonder though, would legal regulated use in the military of marijuana (like alcohol) work?
I do not see any benefit; legal or not.

RF 1
Old 01-03-2012, 20:50   #13
Sand_Rogue
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
I do not see any benefit; legal or not.

RF 1
Would that include alcohol as well?
Sand_Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:18   #14
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:

That will never happen as the military is Federal and under Federal law it is and will stay illegal no matter what some states want.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:21   #15
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Would that include alcohol as well?
At least it s Legal......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote