Old 07-27-2017, 13:50   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
A great advantage of the 300 is it's versatility on the reloading bench. Data and components are plentiful thanks to the readily available 308 cal bullets on the market. 110 to 265 grains to tailor to both your supersonic and suppressed needs. The brass is a bit more finicky, and good quality brass is a must. I am finding out that not all brass is equal.
I personally love running sub rounds out of a 9mm can, saves me the 12+ month wait for a 30 Cal can. Not that I'm not waiting for water to boil, but still, a good 9mm can handle subsonic 300's.

Proof your magazines though. If you are running the heavier 220 grn bullets you might find your 5.56mm magazines protest. 220 grains can challenge mag's designed for a 55 grn especially if she has and 29 of her friends with her. Fortunately mag producers are strengthening the mag springs and designing 300 AAC specific mags.

Over all, I am glad I started to play with the 300 BO/ AAC.

As for sights, you know the deal. What range are you shooting for? A simple red dot could fit the bill. I have both a TR1 and a shorty EoTech that line up perfectly with my Troy Industry Diamond head sights.

The 300 BO World is your oyster,,,,
Did a lot of reading before making my reloading purchases and many here assisted, thanks again. I waited for months for Nosler to begin selling .300 WM brass again.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-brass/.../isAjax/1.html

And from what I've read well worth the price.

Box, What ranges are you looking at while hunting pigs?
Old 07-28-2017, 14:01   #17
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Get it off of Experticity.

What's the secret to getting deals there?
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 16:37   #18
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

PM enroute.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 20:44   #19
MR2
Quiet Professional

I've been running .300BLK for awhile. Two pistols, 14.5 P&W, and a 16". Two pistols just came back from first Cerakote and don't have the lights and RMRs on yet. Running a Vortex 1x6 Strike Eagle on the 16" carbine.

MagPul has come out with new mags specifically designed for the .300. New 5.56 mags often have little tits to help feed the bullets into the chamber. .300 bullets being fatter would often jam or double-feed. I run aluminum GI mags with my .300 and they work well. Some have SF engineered their 5.56 MagPuls by filing the tits down a tad and they work reliably well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170824_204418.jpg (69.5 KB, 79 views)

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 20:46   #20
MR2
Quiet Professional

Found this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20992605_10213917727156233_8522605807203049498_n.jpg (71.3 KB, 48 views)

Old 08-25-2017, 05:44   #21
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Could you explain the middle one with the folding grip & buffer?

Inquiring minds want to know???

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 22:50   #22
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Could you explain the middle one with the folding grip & buffer?

Inquiring minds want to know???
The two pistols have a LAW Tactical folding adapter and pistol buffer tube. Grips are FAB AGF-43S - pretty slick. Has a push knob to close and friction to extend. Discontinued because knob cuts into the web of the hand unless you dremel it down like I did.

Old 08-30-2017, 21:07   #23
G2squared
Auxiliary

Before this get into a discussion on legalities, I'm an 02/07 SOT so can legally make dealer sample/demo machine guns and suppressors.

My experience is with 10.5" barrels in 300BO all with pistol length gas systems. I figure if the guys that developed it used that gas system length, there might be a good reason to use the same. 2 systems built were using a Dolos quick change barrel system with 10.5" 5.56 barrels with carbine length gas systems. A slick setup if that's what you're looking for. Both run fine without a suppressor and using super sonic ammo. Both also work fine with a suppressor and either subsonic ammo or super sonic ammo. What becomes questionably reliable in all of my builds, and apparently with most others, is using subsonic ammo without a suppressor. From what I've read it's a known issue and up to the user to select the combination needed for the desired results. I've done pistols and an SBR using the Troy PDW stock and all other parts were mil spec for 5.56. I like that they are all interchangeable other than barrels and suppressors. Though you can use a .30 or larger can for both 5.56 and 300. Just a matter of thread adapters.
I haven't had any issues yet with the 208gr bullets in PMAGs but don't doubt that it has happened.

As for ammo, be wary of reloads or reloaded brass, converted from that found out on the range. Even from what you might consider reputable companies. One barrel I sold had a disappointed customer because it wasn't extracting cases. So I brought some of my factory fresh SIG manf from new 300 BO cases. No problems. Further inspection of the cases from his ammo showed flattened out primers and case rims being torn by the extractor claw and scratches full length of the cases. And then I saw the head stamp of .223. That was the problem.

Short history for those that don't know. 300BO was designed to be able to use a 5.56 case necked out to .30. It has thicker walls than the .223 cases so it can handle higher pressures of the military round. The extra wall thickness allows for the expansion of the neck and also the pressure of the 300 trying to get a heavy bullet out of the barrel. In this instance the .223 case was over pressurizing and swelling in the chamber, along with all the other issues, and not extracting the empty case.
So if using reloads from someone else, or doing it yourself, I strongly recommend ensuring you have only 300BO cases as original manufacture or modified 5.56 case.

As for shooting, it's a lot of fun! The short barrels swing easy and recoil is light. Suppressed is a moment of bliss. I used a .30 Sandstorm and it was super quiet (that's a technical term). I don't have fancy equipment but video with my iPhone didn't have any issues picking it up without blanking out the audio. I don't have permission of the person shooting it to post it so won't be sharing. I haven't yet done accuracy testing just functionality so I can't tell if I'm looking at a 1 MOA or 6 MOA setup yet and haven't gotten reliable feedback from customers yet.

When considering optics with BDC (bullet drop compensators) think about 7.62X39 reticles. The drops are about the same generally speaking. But realize that varying the muzzle velocity and bullet weight will cause a need for using some hold over/under or dialed-in elevation adjustments if you are looking for a precision shot.

g
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote