Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-19-2016, 18:53   #16
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Thank you scooter and PRB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I was the Team Sgt. of another ODA later after a rotation to the SGM Acad. (went as an E8).
The Team leadership usually stays with that ODA for their complete tour/time unless something unusual happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I had four years of team Sgt. time, it was considered unusual. Two years is the average, and three not that unusual either. At least, that's the current state of things.
The length of time an E8 will be an Operations Sergeant-

Does this mean that the average time as a team sergeant on a particular team is 2-3 years before he is assigned a new team, or that an 18Z will only be an 18Z for 2-3 years before he will have to start getting ready for SGM?

(Just my own stupid, backwards, civilian opinion but all that experience and knowledge that an E8 has at that point seems like kind of a waste if he is only allowed to be in that position for the same amount of time as an officer would be a TL. please forgive my peanut gallery commentary0

Last edited by NotActuallyHard; 07-19-2016 at 21:48.
NotActuallyHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 21:41   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
I was lucky in that respect, I was always the junior/senior medic. Never enough 18d's around. When a new medic came on board, it was usually a high 5 to the FOG leaving... "Here's the key to the med locker, good luck"

When I screwed up it was me and the the Team Daddy, so I made it my business not to screw up!
18D's usually smarter then the rest of us...... and then there's Guy.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:07   #18
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotActuallyHard View Post

Does this mean that the average time as a team sergeant on a particular team is 2-3 years before he is assigned a new team, or that an 18Z will only be an 18Z for 2-3 years before he will have to start getting ready for SGM?
That's all the time you get. You won't go to another team unless there are extenuating circumstances or there is some kind of problem and you need to move teams.

Team Sergeant is usually the first E8 job an SF guy gets, unless you are in the penalty box or there is currently no room on a team for you. After that, there are a myriad of staff and instructor jobs that need post team sergeant E8s to fill. The SGM "try-out" route is to go be a first sergeant, and or a BN/Group OPS SGT. There are 21 SF E8s in an SF BN, and one First Sergeant job. Everyone in 5th SFG who made the E8 list in the past couple of years had 1SG time. I can't speak for the other Groups. Rightly or wrongly, its usually the key discriminator. You can make SGM without it, but it is less likely.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:09   #19
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

...and I'll add, be extremely thick skinned as you're going to own that screw up for a very long time. All you can hope for is someone else screws up worse immediately afterwards. You're going to be cannon-fodder for the whole team. Taking your lumps and overcoming them is part of our culture.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 13:21   #20
Box
Quiet Professional

...knowing when to call your team sergeant "Sergeant" is the first step towards earning the right to call him by his first name at all

just my two cents
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 15:08   #21
Joker
Quiet Professional

It is really simple...

Yes Sergeant.
No Sergeant, I will never do that again.
Yes Sergeant.
1 Sergeant.
2 Sergeant.
3 Sergeant.
50 Sergeant.
Sergeant, request permission to recover.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 15:10   #22
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Is Team Sergeant the end of the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
...knowing when to call your team sergeant "Sergeant" is the first step towards earning the right to call him by his first name at all
Perfect. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
That's all the time you get.
Scooter, again, thank you!

Hope QP's don't mind the next questions:

Hollywood would have me believe that even full bird colonels ( ex: John Wayne, The Green Berets 1968) are still slinging lead (heck, maybe they did in those days, but I'm guessing this isn't the case).

I am under the impression that being a team sergeant is the last time an enlisted QP actually gets to be on the ground, going on missions, doing bad things to bad people personally.

At what rank is the QP no longer required or allowed to be part of a detachment? After an E8 is a team sergeant is there no going back?

Would a 1SGT or SGM ever go with a detachment in the team sergeant role if an 18Z was suddenly unavailable prior to a mission starting and not while the mission is taking place?

If not would the 18F take up the slack and be expected fill both roles?

Sorry, that's a whole bunch of questions.
Old 07-20-2016, 15:12   #23
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yes Sergeant.
No Sergeant, I will never do that again.
Yes Sergeant.
1 Sergeant.
2 Sergeant.
3 Sergeant.
50 Sergeant.
Sergeant, request permission to recover.
Understood. Thank you Joker.
Old 07-20-2016, 15:50   #24
Pete
Quiet Professional

Team Sergeant

.....Would a 1SGT or SGM ever go with a detachment in the team sergeant role if an 18Z was suddenly unavailable prior to a mission starting and not while the mission is taking place............

Son, if you're running around on the ground trying to be a Team Sergeant as a 1SG or SGM you're not doing the job you're being paid for.

Why don't you just focus on the 25 meter target instead of what's happening on the other continent.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 16:50   #25
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
.....Would a 1SGT or SGM ever go with a detachment in the team sergeant role if an 18Z was suddenly unavailable prior to a mission starting and not while the mission is taking place............

Son, if you're running around on the ground trying to be a Team Sergeant as a 1SG or SGM you're not doing the job you're being paid for.

Why don't you just focus on the 25 meter target instead of what's happening on the other continent.

NotActuallyHard -
I'll give you a clue as to your answer here - it is "Roger that, SGM, understood, I will shut up now." That is all.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote