Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 05-06-2010, 13:12   #1
regular guy
Asset

Tourniquet Holders/Mounts

Gentlemen,
I am a sparing poster, but thought I would contribute something that needs to be confronted. I don't intend on insulting anyone's intelligence or experience and I am open to discussion, but I think I have a solution to a often costly problem.

Many places make it an SOP to mount their tourni someplace easily accessible iby both hands on the front of the kit. In my experience this is as much for the first responder as it is for the wounded warfighter. The last thing that I want to do as a buddy is bleeding is mess with a zipper or a buckle. So the question is how would I mount a tourni?

Many guys I come across use rubber bands as retainers for the tourni. IMHO it is kind of like putting the first aid pouch upside down on the old LBV's shoulder. Sure, it works but I wouldn't trust it to save my life when I need it. Rubber bands can crack and deteriorate in hot arid climates very quickly.

Another alternative is use the tourniquet mounts that are pre-fabbed by many manufacturers, and this can cost anywhere from $15-40. When units start factoring the cost of this for a battalion-size element, the cost can be staggering. Especially if the unit desires two tourniquets be placed on the front of the kit. My solution was fairly simple:

Acquire 2 Web Dominator buckles (for a large ratchet-style tourniquet) and loop them so that one side is fixed and the other is open to hook in where the other bungees would. If retention is of great concern, another set could be in place to double the strength. Obviously, a single web dominator would suffice for a smaller CAT-style tourniquet. Another option is to double up these dominators so both sides are closed. Instead of releasing the bungees, simply slide out the tourniquet.

Pros: Easy to access system with low probability of failure. Low cost of $1.95 per bungee (tacticaltailor.com)

Cons: Rubber bands have much more grip with the synthetic rubber. The web dominator contact points are plastic and bungee.

I have used this system without regret for about 4 months with no complaints or issues.

Thank you for the podium gentlemen, please pick apart my idea and let me know your concerns.

References:
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/webdom...entsystem.aspx
regular guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 18:02   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Regular guy,
Good thought and practical....except for one small detail. I use those for a variety of things on my kit. If you are using them in a way that lets you deploy the equipment that they are holding without "popping the cord" manually, then they work beautifully. If you are expected to perform a very fine motor skill with gloves on and in a rushed fashion....disaster (time delay potential) strikes. You have to be careful, as I have learned with these, that the cord when it is properly engaged in the cut-outs really holds on tight and well, hence the problem of grabbing the little projecting end knot to disengage the stretch cord....that is the bear.
If you rig your TQ or other equipment in such a way that you are 'ripping' it from this mounting system, then it does work......PRACTICE with it to make it work if possible. I have my TQ's in a pistol mag pouch that has nothing but small area of velcro to deal with that I pre-deploy behing the TQ which puts alittle more pressure on the TQ to keep it in place...haven't lost one yet (the SWAT-tourniquets are all I carry).
Keep on working with these little devices and if you can figure out how to pop the cord off easily, please post it here and share....this is good stuff.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 23:05   #3
regular guy
Asset

FIne Motor Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
Regular guy,
If you are expected to perform a very fine motor skill with gloves on and in a rushed fashion....disaster (time delay potential) strikes. You have to be careful, as I have learned with these, that the cord when it is properly engaged in the cut-outs really holds on tight and well, hence the problem of grabbing the little projecting end knot to disengage the stretch cord....that is the bear.
ss
I should have accounted for a fine motor skill operation, but to be completely honest I didn't think until you mentioned it. I ended up just closing both ends so that I would 'rip' it out when I needed it. Good insight sir, I will continue evaluating the system.

Note: If anyone wants pics either PM me or post up and I will be happy to share them.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41   #4
crash
Guerrilla

The web dominators do work pretty well, and cheap. For a number of diffrent things.

TQ's and IFAKS regardless of what type you use, they need to be MARKED red tape, cross etc. and in the same place with a min items (TQ, bandage, occlusive, 14ga, npa, gauze, tape) if not more in it.

I like the marines wearing them under their helmet bands, doesn't look cool but its there when you need it.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:59   #5
regular guy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I like the marines wearing them under their helmet bands, doesn't look cool but its there when you need it.
Not sure if I can support that. My primary concern with a helmet band is that the only thing that is keeping the TQ in place is the pressure of the band against the helmet. The reason that we have retention lanyards for NVG's is that a nice 'face plant' causes the NVG's to disengage the mount. I know personally that if it were not for this lanyard, I would have lost a few pairs with no hope of finding them.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:38   #6
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Guys make this much more difficult than it has to be.

With regards to the web dominators, they are good for what they were designed for -taming loose webbing on packs and such- but I find them, and the 215 Gear TQ GPw to be lacking in the ease of use under duress category and they tend to open, dropping the TQ when you lease expect it to/need it to.

For instance, some of my guys have purchased the Mayflower TQ retainer and others use retention bands (rubber bands), while others just slip them down in the elastic on the sides of their M4 mag pouches. I use a couple of the Mayflower TQ holders placed on either side of my plate carrier cummerbund flap, one in an ankle pocket, and finally one (CAT) attached to the buttstock of my M4, ejection port side, with retention bands...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:12   #7
regular guy
Asset

Great Post Crip

Thank you for your insight sir.
Old 05-08-2010, 14:17   #8
dfirsty
Asset

I use one of my wife's hair ties. Black ones only so they're tactical. Works like a rubberband but its much more durable.

Derek
dfirsty is offline   Reply With Quote