Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-17-2005, 13:55   #61
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight
The only unfair thing is that XYs are stronger. You are more free because of that. FrontSight
Maybe - But I've never seen an XY pick up the phone and have six XXs show up to help them move either.
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 14:09   #62
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The only unfair thing is that XYs are stronger. You are more free because of that.
I know plenty of XYs that are no more free than a fish in an aquarium; sure, they can swim around and explore their tank, maybe bully some of the weaker fish, but there are invisible walls stopping them from going farther, and they depend on someone else to provide their O2, feed them, clean their tank, and set their schedule. Freedom doesn't come from being physically strong--it mostly springs from mindset, self-confidence and determination.

That, and not having to sit down to pee.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 14:18   #63
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I know plenty of XYs that are no more free than a fish in an aquarium; sure, they can swim around and explore their tank, maybe bully some of the weaker fish, but there are invisible walls stopping them from going farther, and they depend on someone else to provide their O2, feed them, clean their tank, and set their schedule. Freedom doesn't come from being physically strong--it mostly springs from mindset, self-confidence and determination.

Well said - on all counts.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 15:20   #64
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
Maybe - But I've never seen an XY pick up the phone and have six XXs show up to help them move either.
Maybe it's your technique
Old 03-18-2005, 00:52   #65
alphamale

Quote:
Freedom doesn't come from being physically strong--it mostly springs from mindset, self-confidence and determination.
Agree. (Yes, don't pass out, I'm actually agreeing with you, because you included the word 'mostly'. ) Because mostly, people choose to be humane to each other. Then, "mindset, self-confidence and determination" can take primacy in defining how free you are.

The problem is when "mostly" doesn't cut it.

A related problem then is because occasionally "mostly" doesn't cut it, someone whom others would assume to be weaker will significantly restrict all their life activities, i.e., not go out alone at night to even the grocery store, or not go biking alone during the day.

Is that good SA or is that living in a cage. Who is less free then.

FrontSight
Old 03-18-2005, 02:41   #66
alphamale

Quote:
PS: That is the only disadvantage I will cede re: that area of the anatomy.

At the end of the day, those femme parts have gifted us with multiple organizational advantages over XY parts.

FrontSight
Old 03-18-2005, 05:32   #67
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
PS: That is the only disadvantage I will cede re: that area of the anatomy.

At the end of the day, those femme parts have gifted us with multiple organizational advantages over XY parts.

FrontSight
Aren't you forgetting something else? Perhaps you are answering the question at the wrong time of the month . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:41   #68
alphamale

Doesn't phase me in the least...

Your mileage may vary.

------------------------

OK, so conclusion is steroids aren't worth it.

-------------------------

re: Mike Mahler's website from NDD's reply

http://www.mikemahler.com/index.html

had a picture (can't find it now) of him on an Indoboard. Went to that website.

http://www.indoboard.com/

Had never heard of a balance trainer, but what a cool invention!

After so many years of ballet I think I have decent balance, but that would be a fun thing to do while on con calls without sounding too out-of-breath.

FrontSight

Last edited by alphamale; 03-18-2005 at 05:59.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:33   #69
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Because mostly, people choose to be humane to each other.
Ah yes, the social contract. It is not unanimous by any means.

One must train body and mind, neither is good without the other.

In OODA terms, it is best, in my opinion, to deal with the Big "O" early on. Decide your Orientation to be hit "that" when "this" is observed. Have 1-2 good techniques ready to go. Takes most of the decision making out and allows you to get inside the adversary's loop very quickly. Much easier to turn it off than turn it on.

If you do hit - hit don't grab. And keep hitting. There are no neutral corners and no 10 counts.

SA will tell when it is more likely to occur than not. Time/place/people. If you go to the 5th Ward after 22:00, figure very likely. Yellow is not hard to maintain and Yellow to Orange is an easy step. Much easier than Green to Red or even Green to Orange. Yellow is also good for avoiding falls and traffic accidents.

Being a little crazy never hurt either.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:54   #70
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc

If you do hit - hit don't grab.
All is good in your post here NDD but I wanted to ask folks about this one statement, do you know (not NDD) why this is important?
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:26   #71
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
All is good in your post here NDD but I wanted to ask folks about this one statement, do you know (not NDD) why this is important?
It doesn't stop a determined man one bit. It doesn't hurt (much), imobilize, kill or anything else of consequence. If anything, it keeps the bad guy close while allowing a moment to act - for him. Personally, I'd see it as hesitation on the holder's part and be further encouraged. You don't control the other person, i.e. neither the fight.

Is that correct, Sir?

Last edited by Martin; 03-18-2005 at 10:28.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:14   #72
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
It doesn't stop a determined man one bit. It doesn't hurt (much), imobilize, kill or anything else of consequence. If anything, it keeps the bad guy close while allowing a moment to act - for him. Personally, I'd see it as hesitation on the holder's part and be further encouraged. You don't control the other person, i.e. neither the fight.

Is that correct, Sir?
Depends on what you grab.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 15:37   #73
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Depends on what you grab.

TR
Yes, Sir. I interpreted NDD and Harsey's message to mean somebody pretty unfamiliar with fighting. I can see multiple techniques made possible or more efficient because of grabbing, e.g. the head, or take take downs.
Old 03-19-2005, 16:33   #74
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffjm8509

Dedicate Gym time to endurance type lifting with as much weight as you can manage. I look toward 10 sets of 10 repititions of any major muscle group exercise. Bench for Chest, Pullups for back, Curls for Bi/tri, Military Press for shoulders, and squats and lunges for legs. You'll not get huge or enourmously strong, but you will get rapid strength and enduracne, (and sore as hell).

just my .02

mp
Thanks for that post.

Some of you may want to check out www.Crossfit.com. It's a website/gym/community that seems to have found favor among military/le types.

They work hard on finding the right combination of functional speed/strength/power/endurance/balance/agility. They do O-lifts and other complex movements, rather than just trying to add more pounds to your one-rep bench max. Lots of rope climbing and work with gymnast rings, as well.

It also introduced me to 'endurance lifting' that will leave you smoked. The Fight Gone Bad workout has you doing one minute of 75 lb deadlift high pulls, followed immediately by a 20" box jump for a minuted, followed by a minute of 75lb push presses (standing military press, with a slight squat to get the bar moving if needed), followed by a minute on a Concept 2 rower and a minute squating/throwing a 20 lb medicine ball at a mark draw 8 feet high. Rest for a minute, then repeat cycle 2 or 4 more times.

Another good one a 400 meter run, then 21 Kettebell or dumbell swings then 12 pullups. Repeat 2 more times. (A lot of the exercises are better suited to a garage gym where you can drop the weight and take off on a run, rather than a commercial facility)

In my humble view, it's far and away better conditioning that following a bodybuilding routine, which is what I see most people doing at the gym.

Quote:
"Have any of you seen the draft version of the "new" PT FM that the Physical Fitness School put out a few years ago (before they took it off their website)? They changed the focus of PT to 'functional fitness', incorporating exercises that mimiced tasks soldiers could expect to perform in combat, and other exercises that strengthened supporting and stabilizing muscles. Its more equipment intensive than the current push-up/sit-up/run concept, but appears to be more directed towards what an infantryman would need.
My AIT DSs switched my class to the new PT program toward the end of my course in March '04. More "core strength' (abs and obliques) than the old PT program. One curious thing is that you had to get up out of the seated position without using your hands. It also had shuttle runs. (The PT program at Basic had ZERO speed work. ) Seems to me the ability to run/sprint for short distances is important. We were also supposed to do pull-ups, but we didn't have any pull up bars. The DSs didn't like it because there were fewer pushups, and they worried our PT scores would go down. We graduated before I could judge the efficacy of the program.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 16:40   #75
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
More "core strength' (abs and obliques)
Are you sure that's what core strength means?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?