Old 02-13-2017, 18:37   #1
tonyz
Area Commander

Smatchet

When I was just a kid my father gave me a copy of the book: Get Tough by Col. W.E. Fairbairn - in it I remember some discussion of an interesting weapon called the Smatchet.

It seems that knife-maker Böker has reintroduced the Smatchet 2.1.described at link below. The street price is reportedly much less.

https://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-...fe/122578.html

“Its balance, weight, and killing power, with point, edge, or pommel, combined with the extremely simple training necessary to become efficient in its use, make it the ideal personal weapon for all those not armed with a rifle and bayonet.”

– William Ewart Fairbairn, Get tough!: How to win in hand-to-hand fighting as taught to the British commandos and the U.S. Armed Forces

In his 1942 manual about unarmed and knife fighting, Get Tough, Fairbairn devotes a section to the smatchet, complete with drawings depicting its use. He went on to write, “The smatchet is now in wide use throughout the British armed forces. It is hoped that it will soon be adopted by the United States Army.” When Fairbairn went to the United States and began training OSS personnel, he successfully advocated the use of the smatchet, as well as the F-S Fighting Knife, by the OSS. Though the F-S Fighting Knife became a standard part of OSS weaponry, apparently the smatchet only saw limited use. A possible reason for that is suggested by Michael W. Silvey in his article, “The Smatchet,” originally published in Knife World magazine, where he wrote, “It has long been rumored that a shipment of 10,000 smatchets were lost at sea,” probably the result of a submarine sinking the vessel carrying the shipment.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/s...ighting-knife/

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 02-13-2017 at 18:56.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 18:56   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Old news, use the search button.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 18:59   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Old news, use the search button.
Shit. My apologies.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 21:13   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Where is NDD now?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 13:58   #5
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

A bunch of different manufacturers and custom makers have produced those since WWII. Al Mar even did a version, and those fetch a pretty penny these days. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. Had one of the Al Mars myself for a while. They are imposing knives.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote