Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 01-24-2017, 17:56   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Trump claims millions voted illegally

And CNN is having a good laugh at his expense, saying the claims are baseless.

Well, if the following is any guide, it might take a few years to sort out the evidence. I found this on the Interwebs, and the BLUF is that POTUS's numbers might not be that far off:

Studies that claim voter fraud is rare generally look at instances where people were caught voting illegally. Yes, there are very few criminal cases of non-citizens voting. That does not necessarily mean anything though.

In a recent study, Richman et al., (2014) asked non-citizens if they were registered to vote.

19.8% of non-citizens in 2008 claimed to be registered to vote, or even that they had their voter registration confirmed.

In 2010 15.6% of non-citizens claimed they were registered to vote.

Richman et al., (2014) estimate that as many as 620,000 registered voters are non-citizens. The only jurisdictions where non-citizens may register to vote are small municipalities in Maryland, and made up none of where data was gathered.

In both years, a small but significant minority of the registered non-citizen voters claimed they tried to vote but failed because they did not show up with the correct identification. This means some non-citizens try voting, and fail, and are not arrested for voter fraud. Instead they just get turned away from the booths, and go on with their lives.

Because of this, I speculate that they don’t show up in voter fraud cases. They were caught, but told they couldn’t vote because they did not have the right ID, and then walked away.

Reference:

Richman, J. T., Chattha, G. A., & Earnest, D. C. (2014). Do non-citizens vote in US elections? Electoral Studies, 36, 149-157.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/w...ns-Richman-et-al.pdf

Abstract: In spite of substantial public controversy, very little reliable data exists concerning the frequency with which non-citizen immigrants participate in United States elections. Although such participation is a violation of election laws in most parts of the United States, enforcement depends principally on disclosure of citizenship status at the time of voter registration. This study examines participation rates by non-citizens using a nationally representative sample that includes non-citizen immigrants. We find that some non-citizens participate in U.S. elections, and that this participation has been large enough to change meaningful election outcomes including Electoral College votes, and Congressional elections. Non-citizen votes likely gave Senate Democrats the pivotal 60th vote needed to overcome filibusters in order to pass health care reform and other Obama administration priorities in the 111th Congress.
© 2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:34   #2
Razor
Quiet Professional

Come on, is this really an issue? I mean, there are plenty of safeguards in pla...oops, hold on:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/09/2...s-in-colorado/
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15   #3
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Come on, is this really an issue? I mean, there are plenty of safeguards in pla...oops, hold on:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/09/2...s-in-colorado/
Un-purged voter rolls is certainly a part of the issue. More concerning to me is that, according to the study cited above, of the non-citizens who showed up to vote and who had photo ID, 67% were allowed to vote.

ETA: Looks like POTUS is officially calling for an investigation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trump voter tweets.jpg (119.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Divemaster; 01-25-2017 at 10:22.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:41   #4
tonyz
Area Commander

Voter ID is an interesting topic - I am reminded that both Canada and Mexico require proper identification in order to vote.

Below is a link to a summary of the current voter identification laws by state here in the USA. It is interesting to note the state’s which effectively require no identification. With the influx of new voters should citizens be concerned?

VOTER IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS | VOTER ID LAWS
Wendy Underhill
NCSL
1/5/2018

Introduction: A total of 34 states have laws requesting or requiring voters to show some form of identification at the polls, all of which are in force in 2018. Scroll over the map below for state-by state details.

The remaining 16 states use other methods to verify the identity of voters. Most frequently, other identifying information provided at the polling place, such as a signature, is checked against information on file. See NCSL’s Voter Verification Without ID Documents.

Please note that the information contained on this page contains information on the current, in-effect laws. A chronology of voter ID legislation since 2000 can also be found on NCSL's History of Voter IDpage.

Proponents see increasing requirements for identification as a way to prevent in-person voter impersonation and increase public confidence in the election process. Opponents say there is little fraud of this kind, and the burden on voters unduly restricts the right to vote and imposes unnecessary costs and administrative burdens on elections administrators.

See State-by-State In-Effect Voter ID Requirements (Table Two, far below) for citations and details on what IDs are accepted and what happens when a voter does not have ID.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio.../voter-id.aspx

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:57   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
CA used to require ID. My wife had to go back to the house and get her's once in the '80s. Funny how things have changed since then.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:46   #6
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Total scam not to require voters to have proper Identification. From what I understand Calif. Drivers Licenses are not valid for many things because of how they issue them. I'd never voted without having to show an ID until I was In Co. where you have about a month to mail in or drop off your vote...

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:17   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Voter ID is an interesting topic - I am reminded that both Canada and Mexico require proper identification in order to vote.

Below is a link to a summary of the current voter identification laws by state here in the USA. It is interesting to note the state’s which effectively require no identification. With the influx of new voters should citizens be concerned?

VOTER IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS | VOTER ID LAWS
Wendy Underhill
NCSL
1/5/2018

Introduction: A total of 34 states have laws requesting or requiring voters to show some form of identification at the polls, all of which are in force in 2018. Scroll over the map below for state-by state details.

The remaining 16 states use other methods to verify the identity of voters. Most frequently, other identifying information provided at the polling place, such as a signature, is checked against information on file. See NCSL’s Voter Verification Without ID Documents.

Please note that the information contained on this page contains information on the current, in-effect laws. A chronology of voter ID legislation since 2000 can also be found on NCSL's History of Voter IDpage.

Proponents see increasing requirements for identification as a way to prevent in-person voter impersonation and increase public confidence in the election process. Opponents say there is little fraud of this kind, and the burden on voters unduly restricts the right to vote and imposes unnecessary costs and administrative burdens on elections administrators.

See State-by-State In-Effect Voter ID Requirements (Table Two, far below) for citations and details on what IDs are accepted and what happens when a voter does not have ID.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio.../voter-id.aspx
I can tell you that every 3rd world country I have been to requires a National ID and they dip your index finger into permanent ink and you have to put your fingerprint on the register. That is how they attempt to counter voter fraud. Now the internal fraud by the party in power is another issue but for the average citizen no ID no Vote.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:25   #8
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
I can tell you that every 3rd world country I have been to requires a National ID and they dip your index finger into permanent ink and you have to put your fingerprint on the register. That is how they attempt to counter voter fraud. Now the internal fraud by the party in power is another issue but for the average citizen no ID no Vote.
Valuable insight.

The young folks should not be fooled by all the BS put out by the Democrats on this issue.

They should want and demand accurate and fair elections as much as anyone.

In fact, after Bernie got fu$ked by Klinton in the primary they should be particularly wary and proper IDs are but one simple corrective layer in the process.

Everyone should be suspicious of anyone not wanting to show proper ID in order to vote.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 13:21   #9
cbtengr
Area Commander

Far too easy to vote in this country, God bless all of us heartless individuals who are trying to suppress the illegal voters. For the life of me I shall never understand the values of the left, be it voting, immigration or global cooling/global warming/climate change.
Old 01-29-2018, 14:03   #10
bblhead672
Area Commander

Voting should be fairly straightforward: one vote per living citizen of the United States registered to vote in the district the person resides. (or in case of military, residence of record).
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote