Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 12-11-2017, 19:03   #1216
Chucko
Guerrilla

I accidentally hit this thread and you boys were talking about tri-tips. I first found out about tri-tips 30 years ago while visiting a rigger friend living in Cali an hour north of LA. We visited a week and must have had 3 or 4 tri-tips and I loved then grilled or smoked.

I got back to Wisconsin and talked to a couple butchers and if I recall, they never heard of such a thing. This thread makes me want to check out the area butchers in TN. I am sure buy now they have heard of them.

On a subsequent trip 20 years ago I went down and bought some for a treat for their family. I did the grilling this time and made them tougher than shoe leather. I should have pulled them off when the chef told me to.

For someone who only grills I think I will learn more things on this thread.
Old 12-11-2017, 19:18   #1217
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I accidentally hit this thread and you boys were talking about tri-tips. I first found out about tri-tips 30 years ago while visiting a rigger friend living in Cali an hour north of LA. We visited a week and must have had 3 or 4 tri-tips and I loved then grilled or smoked.
Santa Maria by any chance? They rescued this cut of meat and developed a whole BBQ style for it.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 23:18   #1218
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Santa Maria by any chance? They rescued this cut of meat and developed a whole BBQ style for it.

Pat
El Rio, but I have no idea where Santa Maria is, but kudos to them for their work in the process. I have to try to find a local butcher in middle Tennessee. Maybe take a Google link describing it so he can rescue one for me.
Old 01-16-2018, 18:15   #1219
Penn
Area Commander

Venison

Dinner at home.....Seared Rare Venison, Asian Salad, Cashews, Sriracha Sauce. Wine: The Pinto Project Ca. $10

This was harvested by the same guy who dropped the 519" point Bull Elk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0538.JPG (70.1 KB, 33 views)
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 15:00   #1220
cbtengr
Area Commander

Rice Pudding & Eggs

Got my pressure cooker today and after giving it a pressure test I made my first two things. Hard boiled eggs, not exactly rocket science but ya gotta start somewhere, the eggs were perfect. Then I made Rice Pudding which came out really well, my wife said it was very good but that she did not particularly care for it. It was not something she grew up with but I did and I will be enjoying it in the coming days.

Rice Pudding.jpg
Old 02-05-2018, 15:10   #1221
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
El Rio, but I have no idea where Santa Maria is,
Santa Maria is about an hour and a half norther.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 19:23   #1222
cbtengr
Area Commander

Egg Custard

My mother made custard when I was a kid, 55 years later I finally made my own in the pressure cooker. It turned out really well. I also made a breakfast casserole in it this morning and Mongolian Beef the other night, all very good.

P1040903.JPG
Old 02-12-2018, 10:10   #1223
bblhead672
Area Commander

White chili.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 17:55   #1224
cbtengr
Area Commander

Valentines Day fare for my bride, Lasagna and Cheesecake. Both cooked in my pressure pot, I really like using it.

Vday18.jpg Vd2.jpg
Old 03-18-2018, 16:29   #1225
cbtengr
Area Commander

First Corned Beef

A day late I know however I was very pleased with the results. Cooked entirely in my Pressure Pot. The meat was under pressure for 85 minutes and the vegetables for 5. Veggies could have cooked for less time and I will note that for future reference. I have had this cooker for a month now and am very happy with the results.

Corned Beef.jpg
Old 03-18-2018, 18:31   #1226
Gypsy
Area Commander

Looks good! May have to consider getting one of those.
Old 03-18-2018, 18:41   #1227
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Looks good! May have to consider getting one of those.
I got hooked on them watching those early morning infomercials, the one on tv was too pricey, I have an Instant Pot I use mine all the time. I have done a full rack of ribs and cheesecake in mine, pasta dishes are really east too and it makes great rice pudding. Worth looking into. Hope you are doing fine!
Old 03-18-2018, 18:53   #1228
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I got hooked on them watching those early morning infomercials, the one on tv was too pricey, I have an Instant Pot I use mine all the time. I have done a full rack of ribs and cheesecake in mine, pasta dishes are really east too and it makes great rice pudding. Worth looking into. Hope you are doing fine!
Thanks for that info, will check it out! Doing well, hope you are too!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57   #1229
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Which Instant Pot model did you get?
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16   #1230
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Which Instant Pot model did you get?
I have the 6 qt. 9 in 1. Bought it directly from Instant Pot, free shipping and 10.00 cheaper than anyone else. I read a lot of the reviews before settling on IP. There is no shortage of recipes on the web to work from.