Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 08-18-2019, 11:36   #46
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I agree skills can be taught and learned by anyone given enough time but I disagree that the inclination or breeding to this line of work is common it is not common tried and true.

But what we are doing right now as SF teams for the most part can be emulated by big Army especially when we are teaching big Army skills they are masters at....we as an SF unit has to remember that we are doing this so that we can develop a loose potential for guerilla fighters from those we have developed relationships with....at the end of the day our SA in any country is contingent on us being there and knowing what we have to work with.....remember Russell Volkman, Blackburn and Fertig amongst other cadre were doing nation building in the Phillipines prior to WW2 and once they were left behind for 3 years it was some of the same Filipinos that became the resistance force...it should be a template for every FID mission to understand what we are doing
Funny - Just gave essentially the same lecture to a couple of the young guys at the office last week. Not that we've done an indifferent job; quite the opposite, but the last 18 years have obscured the root reasons for our existence. If we're going to differentiate ourselves from the masses and preserve our future, (I think) we need to look back at our founding principles and bring them forward, evolving them and their core TTPs so they're relevant to the world we'll be asked to influence over the next 15-20 years. The other side of that coin is that we build a capability that the US Govt lacks the vision/will to employ and we keep doing "groundhog day" ad infinitum.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:16   #47
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Funny - Just gave essentially the same lecture to a couple of the young guys at the office last week. Not that we've done an indifferent job; quite the opposite, but the last 18 years have obscured the root reasons for our existence. If we're going to differentiate ourselves from the masses and preserve our future, (I think) we need to look back at our founding principles and bring them forward, evolving them and their core TTPs so they're relevant to the world we'll be asked to influence over the next 15-20 years. The other side of that coin is that we build a capability that the US Govt lacks the vision/will to employ and we keep doing "groundhog day" ad infinitum.
BINGO I have echoed those thoughts in other threads over the years!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:39   #48
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
That's the "nut" of the problem IMO. Need to educate the correct audience to the threats and counter strategies first. The current threat is China in SEA and Africa and the methods are economic servitude. I see the role for SF in this environment primarily as one of intelligence gathering. YMMV

We need to identify and educate key opinion leaders.
Old 09-23-2019, 13:50   #49
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
That's the "nut" of the problem IMO. Need to educate the correct audience to the threats and counter strategies first. The current threat is China in SEA and Africa and the methods are economic servitude. I see the role for SF in this environment primarily as one of intelligence gathering. YMMV

We need to identify and educate key opinion leaders.
In a resource constrained environment, that would certainly be welcome.
Old 09-23-2019, 20:45   #50
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Agree so many of our guys do not understand the end state we are looking for and the long term goals....Damn the metrics era

I also agree the origination of our unit in the Philippines is a valid template and we have the terminology and skills to flip the script before during and after such a situation.....everything between us the Generals and Congress comes down to communicating common language for decision makers military jargon and naming conventions creates more confusion than transgenderism.

I think first and foremost is their must be an agreed upon template of what we do i.e. are we the spawn of the Devils Brigade, the Jedburghs the OSS or the Filipino resistance? I say our roots are in the Philippines given our first BC was Volkman though Bank was a Jed and 10th Grp Commander but how many of our guys understand the similarities or value? the Devils Brigade were closer to a high speed Ranger Bn and SFOD-D and the OSS and Jeds are closer to the three letter agency in design and mission. We have different camps of belief in where are roots lie and what we should be doing. Choose the where we come from and what we are template and discard the rest as the genesis of other missions or other units.

The next thing once we understand what we are and should be doing then we must communicate the value of ready made insurgencies/counterinsurgencies and its role in preventing rogue regimes like Iran and its Quds force from running roughshod over a region as their efforts bear fruits. Generals and Politicians do not understand it the concept is not one that people easily grasp.....my father in law is a Phd in molecular Biology 3-4 Masters degrees etc....and to him his 8 years in the Marine Corps Infantry is how he views dealing with bad guys UW makes no sense to him though portions do but not the totality.....very smart people cannot grasp the UW concept whether it be the terminology that somehow gets officers promoted, the definition or how it is explained by doctrine, it makes no sense to people thanks to years of basic war movies focused around DA and media. For others to understand us we have to break down the specific missions into its parts and sell it piece by piece. Selling it to the decision makers is the idea and this is a long game because everyone of our guys have to be thoroughly trained in it and vetted...this is where our salesman will come from the Officers wearing the Green Beret and the long tab qualification.

Third we have a POTUS right now who seems to be willing to take a look at how we do business as a military.....my hunch is he would understand the need to separate UW from surgical strike minded command influence....what we do is more akin to playing chess strategy similar to the business world strategies and game theory than the checkers played by surgical strike....to play chess we cannot be under the control of checkers masters! IMO the POTUS would better grasp the concept than previous leaders that a qualification on paper does not an expert make. I think this would be an excellent time to sell the value of our concept over the capabilities and skills of surgical strike. It has to sold as invaluable preventative maintenance of U.S. vital interest regions. We would have to attach a future value and not a metrics game to the value of our true capability. To keep quality UW experts in this unit their must be incentive to be the best at UW and to do that separation of powers i.e. away from SOCOM's metric mindset and promotion preferences is the only way. We are the retirement plan of the military 30 yrs down the road not the lotto we are the annuity.

Finally to play Chess we need to recruit Chess players and let the Checkers guys go to a more fitting environment. It is hard to sell the Chess ideology with those who live and breath Checkers. We must face it serving 20 years with the likelihood of never seeing combat is a tough sell and requires careful honest recruiting, We have to sell this as a unique capability not a comparative to the top tier capability. We are not comparable to any of the other SOF units except for the MARSOC but lets face it most MARSOC are in their heart of hearts checkers guys disguised as IW experts. If are not going to play Chess and we are going to continue to chase shiny objects then I would recommend that we quit spending money on Robin Sage field problems and MOS training except for 18D and 18E replace it with SFARTAEC, SNIPER and ASOT...damn it if we are going to pretend to be shooters only then make our guys the best they can be and quit dick dancing.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 09-30-2019 at 08:10.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote