Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Old 06-06-2011, 18:24   #31
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Chicken and Chicken Shed plans

My first time in Afghanistan to my last time we had Chickens and turkeys. Here are some points I like to talk about with them. Most Locals know all about Chickens so you really don’t need to do much with them. The biggest thing is teaching them how to mass produce or raise chickens for profit and commercial means. We had a small chicken pin that had around 40 to 60 chickens and last time we only had around 5 to 15 at one time.

Determine how large you want your farm to be and how many chickens you plan to raise. A poultry farm usually requires 10 square meters per bird. Which I think we planned for 3 to 4 square feet per bird. This may be your building or the open area, but you will need a building for them. A 30,000 sq ft house is needed for 10,000 chickens, if you prefer cage type shed then the built-up area will be 4000 sq ft to 7500 sq ft depending on the type of cage you use in your poultry farm. Average space needed for a bird in cage type shed is from .4 - .75 sq ft. for you 18C’s.

In Afghanistan a small wall made out of small sticks and a bushy thorn was used to keep them in a general area and then a building for them to sleep in. Remember to follow KISS.. DO what the locals are all ready doing. If they are using wooden chicken coops with a small chicken wire fence then you do it. If their coop in mud huts you do it, if they only have plywood coop, and floor sheds, whatever, then take what they are doing and make it bigger. You can use what they are doing and use what you know or can find on the web and just making it bigger. I will say this in Afghanistan, WATER is key. Locals didn’t fully understand this. We made a large Mud house chicken floor sheds coop, like what you see in and around North Carolina. We made it only of Mud and what the locals were all ready doing and just doubled the size and add water to their coops. Our water was a raised 250Liter water tank and had plastic PVC piping into the Coop. Our water tank was on the sun rise side of the coop and we had piping going from one side to the other side then dropping down to two water feeder trays running down the center line and each side of the coop. Corn meal was thrown in by locals along the side of the coop. We had an open area for the chickens also. The locals had a separate area for chickens that were used for laying eggs. We took their plans and just made their laying coop larger. Easy really, just money was all, our CA guys used CERP funds to provide Micro-grants (or loans) to local individuals for a small business loan.

As the 18 Series checking on the chickens; especially if you’re eating them look at it this way. Chickens are just like your children and other house animals or pets. You should be checking on them and their condition continuous to ensure production of chicken and eggs. You’re not a veterinarian but chickens should be checked regularly to ensure their health. Sick chickens will negatively affect your production, and locals will KEEP a sick or poor chicken because they feel they can eat them later. Tell them to kill it now and they can eat it. If you have chicken then get with your veterinarian to find out about them and the care.

Ok so now you have set up a local (which typical is the local village head) with his very own chicken farm to provide funds, chickens, eggs to locals that he will be hiring to work at his small farm. This is the hard part, getting the local to hire locals to work there. Typically we have found that it is not much in the Afghan traditions to hire others outside of your household or mainly you’re FAMILY. Wives and women are not a part of the Afghan Family, it is all the males. Those shit rooms in every compound you have walked into, isn’t for the men. It is for the women that stay they ALL DAY. We except for the 40 minutes they go to the well with the kids to bring back water, and which is the only time she can talk to other women too. So all you CA people, don’t run water lines to houses or compounds, women like to make that walk to the well.

You can now use this farm to feed your ODA and ANA camp. You will buy chicken from the local farm during your visits to the village. You don’t say we will be back here on these days. But more when we come we will likely buys chickens and eggs from you at the bazaar or we will come to the farm to check on the chickens and will by some then. You can also use this process on you’re a camp. We purchased corn from the locals to feed them. Locals crashed the corn up a bit to feed the chickens.

You as that 18C and 18D here are some good web site to look and read up one. Having a guy that has raised chickens for FFA or worked on a chicken farm is best.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/?g...FcPD7QodDVfNuA

I like this site as a basic how to: http://www.backyardchickens.com/rais...ens-basics.php

This is a site I used back in 2007. We had a guy that worked on a chicken farm as a teenager. http://www.farminfo.org/livestock/chickens.htm

Chicken Shed plans: http://www.freechickencoopplans.com/

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 22:52   #32
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Has anyone, I say in the RC-East, worked any of these Teams?? If anyone knows anyone that has been on one these ADT please PM me.

The National Guard's Agribusiness Development Teams

WASHINGTON (10/6/09) - The National Guard's Agribusiness Development Teams are promoting sustainable farming practices in Afghanistan and are an innovative way for Guardmembers to use civilian-acquired skills in the region, a Guard official said today.

The teams, which started out with one team from Missouri, have evolved to roughly a dozen dispersed throughout Afghanistan, Army Col. Marty Leppert told an audience here at the annual convention of the Association of the United States Army. Leppert oversees the program for the director of the Army National Guard.

For everyone working within CJSOTF-A. CMO Office has Contacts for these ADT Teams. EDIT: There isn't any ADT to go around. If your in the EAST Maybe.. and I mean MAYBE you could link up with on if their are close. Conventional is using the ADT up. SOF does have a few, but not enough. Something easy to teach them is Grapes on grape trellis systems and compositing.

IMHO Every SF Soldier thinks Afghans know how the farm. WELL THEY DON'T!! They are survival farmers, grow what they need for NOW or this season. This Program just isn't NG Soldiers or Offricers teaching people.

Something for your back pocket??!!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 08-01-2011 at 12:11. Reason: update facts
Old 07-26-2011, 23:02   #33
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

School in a Box

Idea for areas that don't have the teachers to teach at a local school.

CA has the Radio in the Box, well you can use this to teach a class within a school. It is a strach, but I know of one ODA that had done this and it has WORKED.

You get the CA or Local school books for the area and you hire a teacher to a class from the District center from the Radio center. The outlining villages will have the school books that the ODA and CA have distro out. Then every evening at a set time the teach gets on the radio and teaches her class. The "Classrooms" use the hand cranked radios passed out by CA folks.

This was done south of Kandahar. It sounded like a nice idea so I thought I'd post it.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 07-27-2011, 04:04   #34
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Idea for areas that don't have the teachers to teach at a local school.

CA has the Radio in the Box, well you can use this to teach a class within a school. It is a strach, but I know of one ODA that had done this and it has WORKED.
I remember a report or NG article where kids in the Outback or some where in Africa were doing home schooling via ham radio in the 60t's.. It can work with some parental help..

Here is a similar idea where the kids learn and earn their HAM license.

http://www.homeeducator.com/FamilyTi...-1article5.htm

With a sat dish and small "village" gen-set you could do a lot more..

Good Luck..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14   #35
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
With a sat dish and small "village" gen-set you could do a lot more..
Never work here, due to people would just miss use them or steal them.

U.S. Military puts up Solar panel lights and within weeks they are stolen and in someones house.

Nice idea, but wouldn't work here. IMHO. Elsewhere yeah. Not in Astan

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00   #36
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

different kinds of irrigation system dams

OK I can't remember for the life of me what kind of irrigation system/dam this is called. So I will try my best to discribe it. I thought I had it in my 18C MOS Book but didn't.

You use them mainly on ditches or run out streams, dry river/creek beds that fill with water when it rains in high Elevations. YOu can use them on Small Streams and Rivers too.

I'm basically looking for one in a dry creek bed that gets water, not really flash floods. But fills when it rain or rain comes down a hill/mountain side. Like you live down in a valley and you can see it rain up in the mounatins. You know by morning or with XX set of hours you will have rain coming down your creek/stream.

How the Dam or irrigation system works is you build three "walls" in a semi-circle. Each wall is seperated by a set distance due to the amount of water typically running down/along the creek/stream. The height of each wall is different based on the same factors. The first wall starts to slow the water down, second wall slows the water down to a stop spilling over into the third walled area. The third walled area spills back into the stream/creek to flow down stream. If there isn't that much water it still "catches" water to be used in the area.

There is a name for this kind of irrigation system or Dam system. That's what I'm looking for so I can google it. The measuremeants are base off river/creek size or amount of water flowing. Maybe stream velocity, etc. I know this is some Redneck Engineering, but it has a real name.

Looking for some help. Thanks

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 08-18-2011, 11:43   #37
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

I built a Village bread oven in the Peace Corps.

http://www.lifebread.org/oven-faqs.htm

I used this style of oven to build an oven on Erromango Vanuatu, but it did not last. In a dryer climate this oven will last, in the jungle it has a short half life, the heat + humidity + sea air = rusty useless mess in six months.

More:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3cB...eature=related (10,000 foot view on how to make a full on brick oven. )

http://www.traditionaloven.com/ovens.html

I found this searching for oil drum oven plans. This looks like it is a really cool way to build a tandoori oven.

http://www.gourmetindia.com/topic/87...nstruction-ii/

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 13:59   #38
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Are you talking about Spate irrigation???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spate_irrigation

Quote:
OK I can't remember for the life of me what kind of irrigation system/dam this is called. So I will try my best to discribe it. I thought I had it in my 18C MOS Book but didn't.

You use them mainly on ditches or run out streams, dry river/creek beds that fill with water when it rains in high Elevations. YOu can use them on Small Streams and Rivers too.

I'm basically looking for one in a dry creek bed that gets water, not really flash floods. But fills when it rain or rain comes down a hill/mountain side. Like you live down in a valley and you can see it rain up in the mounatins. You know by morning or with XX set of hours you will have rain coming down your creek/stream.

How the Dam or irrigation system works is you build three "walls" in a semi-circle. Each wall is seperated by a set distance due to the amount of water typically running down/along the creek/stream. The height of each wall is different based on the same factors. The first wall starts to slow the water down, second wall slows the water down to a stop spilling over into the third walled area. The third walled area spills back into the stream/creek to flow down stream. If there isn't that much water it still "catches" water to be used in the area.

There is a name for this kind of irrigation system or Dam system. That's what I'm looking for so I can google it. The measuremeants are base off river/creek size or amount of water flowing. Maybe stream velocity, etc. I know this is some Redneck Engineering, but it has a real name.

Looking for some help. Thanks
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 23:38   #39
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgood View Post
Are you talking about Spate irrigation???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spate_irrigation
This is close to what I've done before. Not the name I remember, but after googling Spated Irrigation Designs I found a good web site.

This document has design information and Eroision Control.

Here is the web site.. FYI if your in Astan the Web sence blocks some of the link. No reason given. But most of it you can find information that can help you out.

http://www.spate-irrigation.org/guide/guidehome.htm

Information on Pakistan Spate Irrigation Network. Good reading for us in Astan.
http://www.spate-irrigation.org/paki...etworkhome.htm

Way I see this being used it to "dam" up the river. From the pooled area you have made what OKIE posted as a Water Catch System. Just like you do at your house with Rain Barrels. You can do the same thing at your house with a large water tank and make a gravity feed watering system. Say for you garden or yard.

Here in Astan if your VSO is close to a dry river bed that gets water when it rains or rains in the Mountains of Zabul. Well you make these "dams" or "walls". In turn you are slowing the water down. From a "pool" you can use CERP and buy shovels and picks and have the locals dig a irrigation ditch to the field area. Buy some Gas water pumps and you just open up the farm land with water for better farming. Many other ways of making ditches but I think a 18C can think up at nice fun & fast way. Then get the locals in to clean it up and make their mud walls to act as weirs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDA_DesignManual_Volume1_14Dec.pdf (320.2 KB, 2 views)

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 08-19-2011 at 00:19.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:32   #40
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
After doing reasearch it seems that modern drip irrigation systems started in Afganistan in 1866 according to wicpedia yea I know not the best source but.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drip_irrigation
Yeah Roman aqueducts would be great, but these people don't have an afghani dollar to save their lives with. IMHO Dirt, Mud and Rocks is the best thing going around here.

To get piping is to get an NGO in to the area. As you being CA know. Most NGOs don't go outside the major cities here. SECURITY!! Whatever, guess they don't know about the protects alomost daily in Kabul and Kandahar.

In the late 1960's many Americans lived in the Hellmand, the area for anyone that has served around Gerishk. There is a large Car lot with new SUVs, HiLux, ETC; that area was a mini USA cities. That "LOT" was told to me to have been the center point of many builds American's live at. Soviets bulldozed it all down. American's made the channel irrgation system that now "feeds" Helland areas along RIng Road and southern Helland.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 08-20-2011, 07:39   #41
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

How does a Afghan tell Time??

This is no joke... We have more than enough people that have been deployed to Afghanistan that should be able to answer this question.

Most Afghan's don't own a watch or have power in their homes. So if your talking to a Afghan and you ask him what time did XYZ happan. How can he tell you?

Most Afghans can't read or write their own langauge. Most can't speak it properly; like us American's. Me included in this!! Most Afghans don't know the days of the week, months within a year.

So if you ask a Afghan when did this happen? Better, when were you born? How can he answer you?

BTW - I really hate people putting January as that enter date for DOB, ETC.

BLUF - How does a Afghan tell time?

Why is this important with VSO? Why is it important period for that matter?

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 08-27-2011, 08:41   #42
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
This is no joke... We have more than enough people that have been deployed to Afghanistan that should be able to answer this question.

Most Afghan's don't own a watch or have power in their homes. So if your talking to a Afghan and you ask him what time did XYZ happan. How can he tell you?

Most Afghans can't read or write their own langauge. Most can't speak it properly; like us American's. Me included in this!! Most Afghans don't know the days of the week, months within a year.

So if you ask a Afghan when did this happen? Better, when were you born? How can he answer you?

BTW - I really hate people putting January as that enter date for DOB, ETC.

BLUF - How does a Afghan tell time?

Why is this important with VSO? Why is it important period for that matter?
Come on no ideas!?!?!?!?!

It's been a week and no one can post on this?!?!?! Who has been to Astan and asked questions with time in them?

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 08-27-2011, 10:02   #43
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:

It's been a week and no one can post on this?!?!?! Who has been to Astan and asked questions with time in them?
With all due respect, it seems that the idea is to IMPOSE Western standards and norms onto a people who don't want (or need it). From their perspective, the Afghans were doing fine before the gringos arrived. If an Afghan doesn't understand the concept of time, clearly it's not necessary for their daily survival.

Days (moon phases), seasons, significant weather events...that seems to be their unit of measure for time.

Having said this, I have NO DOUBT the average Pashtun could EASILY tell you when the last Bacha Bazi party was. Fricken sickos.

Hours and minutes mean nothing to the average Afghan...unless they are foreign "volunteers" that are following the caravan.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:14   #44
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Time

Quote:

Afghan people, as stated in the previous post by Lindy, can give you a time AS it is associated to an event more accurately than if you just ask "when?". ie. "Did it happen before or after the last time you visited your uncle?", Obviously there are more questions involved to reach your answer.

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:17   #45
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
With all due respect, it seems that the idea is to IMPOSE Western standards and norms onto a people who don't want (or need it). From their perspective, the Afghans were doing fine before the gringos arrived. If an Afghan doesn't understand the concept of time, clearly it's not necessary for their daily survival.

Days (moon phases), seasons, significant weather events...that seems to be their unit of measure for time.

Having said this, I have NO DOUBT the average Pashtun could EASILY tell you when the last Bacha Bazi party was. Fricken sickos.

Hours and minutes mean nothing to the average Afghan...unless they are foreign "volunteers" that are following the caravan.
Indy Great points!! Bacha Bazi party LMAO!!! Good one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
Afghan people, as stated in the previous post by Lindy, can give you a time AS it is associated to an event more accurately than if you just ask "when?". ie. "Did it happen before or after the last time you visited your uncle?", Obviously there are more questions involved to reach your answer.

CH
Yes and No...IMHO These are my observations with time. No amswer but just what wI have learned with Afghnas over the years.

I say this because as you stated.. If you ask: "Did it happen before or after the last time you visited your uncle?"

Then how do you get the TIME FACTOR on when is Uncle came if he does know Time, Days, Weeks, ETC. Yes I have had some Afghans that didn't know weeks. They understood day and setting and rise of Moon and sun. But not a week.

I ask this because it seems guys, QPs, don't fully understand the time factor here.

When you ask when did the TB come in your village. Or What time of day did they come through here?

Your working through a Terp and that is a big factor. If the terp does understand Time then how can he translate the points or question to the local??

Anyone ever watch "Lost in Transaltion" on military working with terps in Afghanistan??? GREAT Video!!! 7 mins long.. Google it.

Lindy your right.. Afghans.. "country Poeple" does care about time. They roll with the sun and moon. Only the City people do.

But when your working with a muslim society you have a big factor IMHO.

PRAY TIMES.. Every good Muslim knows when he or she should pray. If you keep this in mind it will help you out when asking question on events that happen.

Other thing to remember is afghans and a lot of muslim societies have two afternoons and evening. An early afternoon and Late afternoon; with evening. So if you know this word with your terp it will help you determine when the event happen.

If it is night time you have the moon setting in the sky. As messed up as that seem. I have found that Afghans look to the sky to see where the moon is as a "clock".

FINDING AGE OUT - You need to know the history of that Muslim Country.. The historical events that is. This helps finding out when people were born.

Ask him if he was born before, during or after the soviets came into Afghanistan. Break it down further on what point here answered. During.. well what does he XYZ.. remember.

Ask him if he was born when the King live in Afghnaistan. Ask him if he was born when the king left Afghanistan.

Most don't know the Months and most even use the Iranian & Afghan Calendar which is typically called the Persian Solar Calendar. Just Google it if you care about. To long to explain. But Most Afghans don't care about months, years ETC.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 08-28-2011 at 07:13.