Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 09-14-2017, 20:31   #31
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Congrats to the Tribe. I like Terry Francona so I hope they can keep the momentum into the post season.
Well, it took 'em 10 tonight but they're still rolling along, 22 now.

Couple days ago I was racking/stacking some Cubbie stuff from over the years, including all 7 score sheets from the Series last year (couple of those are a mess, lol, since I hadn't done that regularly since I was a kid). And I recalled how appropriate, as I learned more about the Indians, that those 2 teams were playing each other. I have a boatload of respect for Terry Francona and that is a very tiny club to be in, managing the team that holds the league record for consecutive wins. Damn good for him & for his team.

I do hate the current Wild Card format ("everybody's a winner" vs. continually climbing meritocracy). It would be criminal for stars to align that allowed someone like the Twins to win just the right 3 games against a team like Cleveland. The WC winner should play the lowest ranked division winner.[/rant]

Eh, better get packin' so I can go up north & have the Smallies make fun of me again.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:53   #32
bblhead672
Area Commander

Big series in Wrigley this weekend as the Cardinals try to make things interesting in the NL Central. Cards been playing much better lately, but has the atrocious pitching, fielding, hitting and managing of most of the year is lurking, ready to crush the hears of Cardinal fans again.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10   #33
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Big series in Wrigley this weekend as the Cardinals try to make things interesting in the NL Central. Cards been playing much better lately, but has the atrocious pitching, fielding, hitting and managing of most of the year is lurking, ready to crush the hears of Cardinal fans again.
Roger that. The NL Central remains a hair-ball of a dogfight; at this point I'm just glad when there's a game where the Cub starter doesn't give away the game in the first 3 innings. STL can bite if you go to sleep for a f'instant.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 09-15-2017, 11:47   #34
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Roger that. The NL Central remains a hair-ball of a dogfight; at this point I'm just glad when there's a game where the Cub starter doesn't give away the game in the first 3 innings. STL can bite if you go to sleep for a f'instant.
The NL Central and AL East are the only places there is a race. Everywhere else the conversation is about wildcard spots. Some good teams are going to be sitting at home just because many of the divisional races were such blowouts.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 15:57   #35
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Badger52 - congrats to your Cubbies. I hope they go all the way again this year.

The Cardinal organization seems determined to pursue the path of mediocre players and poor manager.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 16:20   #36
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Badger52 - congrats to your Cubbies. I hope they go all the way again this year.

The Cardinal organization seems determined to pursue the path of mediocre players and poor manager.
Thanks. Was in doubt for a bit; I NEVER put it past the Cardinals to pull some wabbit out of their hat. I disagree on the Cards' management however; I think Matheny is in the top-tier in that role and, pre-Maddon, thought he'd have looked great in a Cub uniform. They had some player injuries & performance issues but they aren't going anywhere. They have a damned good farm system as well. And Cards fans are great 'cause they understand the game so well. Like an AK; it ain't pretty but it's enthusiastic & that's gotta count fer somethin'.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:54   #37
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
I do hate the current Wild Card format ("everybody's a winner" vs. continually climbing meritocracy). It would be criminal for stars to align that allowed someone like the Twins to win just the right 3 games against a team like Cleveland. The WC winner should play the lowest ranked division winner.[/rant]
I can't agree with that. In the best-case scenario, the two best teams in the league should face off for the pennant. But in your scenario, #1 would face #2 in the division series, with #3 facing the WC, so there is no way #1 and #2 could both advance.

As it stands right now, as a Cubs fan, you should be OK with facing the Nationals in the division series. The Nats are ending the season in a lackluster fashion (10-10 in their last 20 games) and look a little worn out.

I am not a huge fan of the second wild card, since baseball is about endurance and performances averaging out over a series, so a single-elimination game seems un-baseball-like. It also messes with your strategy - for example, should the Yankees put their number one starter in the WC game against the Twins, he won't be available for the most important match-up against the Indians, but if the Yankees don't, then they might not make it to play the Indians at all. Same for the D-Backs/Rockies (BTW, I have nothing against the team, but every time I hear "D-Backs", my brain wants to hear "D-Bags", so maybe not a good nickname).

At least the MLB playoff system is better than the NBA one, where more than half the teams make the playoffs (16 out of 30), and every round is best-of-seven, so the playoffs seem to go on forever. It makes the TBS/TNT "win or go home" tagline to the playoffs a little ridiculous.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:18   #38
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
I can't agree with that. In the best-case scenario, the two best teams in the league should face off for the pennant. But in your scenario, #1 would face #2 in the division series, with #3 facing the WC, so there is no way #1 and #2 could both advance.
I understand your point & we might just have to agree to disagree. Neither thing I mentioned could happen really without some (retro) restructuring. (A WS played into the month of November is what police would call a clue.) While it has worked out lately for the Cubs, I was speaking more in general terms of baseball long-term. RE current situation, as a Cubs fan I never underestimate another teams' ability to go to school & bring it when it counts. Seen that movie before.

Completely agree as to the NBA. All they do is get really obnoxious colors put on sneakers that people pay too much (or steal) for.

Old 10-05-2017, 19:36   #39
Badger52
Area Commander

Bopped over briefly to both the NL Wild Card last night & the ALDS tonight. (Got a kick out of that relief pitcher's triple even tho' not a DBacks fan at all.)

Terry Francona & Co in Cleveland seem to really have their "serious" on tonight against the Yankees - which suits me right down to my shoes because, well... Yankees.

Old 10-11-2017, 18:42   #40
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Well, the Nats get the granny in the 8th to take that series to 5.... C'mon Cubbies, you have responsibility for keeping the Washington sports team drought in place!

And the Yan Kees are on the board early..... Really hoping the tribe can generate some offense tonight.

(seconds later he adds another comment... Gregorius... 2-2 with 2 HR and 3 RBI... Seriously? He was 2 for 16 in October)

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 10-11-2017 at 18:45.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:44   #41
Badger52
Area Commander

Yes, in this case the rain delay had a different result. An extra day (+ antibiotics & IV fluids) and they get back their ace - who lived up to everything needed. The Cubs' 2 starters were great but overshadowed in the lack of bats. Ultimate the 1 run was all it really took, facilitated by the rare short-stop error. Actually listened to the end of the game on AM radio enroute to confirmation of #2 grand-daughter. (Not being Catholic, and this being occasioned by the visit of the area Bishop + Entourage and running 2.5 long-winded hours, I mostly tuned out & studied interior ceiling architecture as a capper to the bullpen giving up that grand-slam - seemed fitting.)

No rest-day - down to a 1 game shootout tonight. Drain the swamp.

Am disappointed for the Indians & Francona; I must send a condolence note to a friend whose heart still lives there. Damn Yankees.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:07   #42
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No rest-day - down to a 1 game shootout tonight. Drain the swamp.

Am disappointed for the Indians & Francona; I must send a condolence note to a friend whose heart still lives there. Damn Yankees.
Well, Farrell and Francona can play golf together now with their free time.

Damn Yankees

James Madison
Old 10-12-2017, 20:58   #43
Badger52
Area Commander

Holy cats, a little bit of everything in this game & it's only 6 innings done. Cubs gotta hold 'em off 'cause the Nats aren't going quietly either.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:22   #44
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Cubs win...

What is being described here on sports radio as a "total meltdown" by the Nats.

James Madison
Old 10-13-2017, 10:18   #45
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Cubs win...

What is being described here on sports radio as a "total meltdown" by the Nats.
IMO anyone on the air describing it as that didn't watch the game. That was a knife-fight in a phone booth, and a pretty close thing at most points in the game. Even with a day off, EITHER team's pitching staff (starters & bullpen) are going to be taxed to turn around & face the Dodgers now. Glad it's the Cubs though.

That might be one of the longest 9-inning games, absent any weather delay, that I've seen. Had to be 4h 45m or so.
On to Kalifornia.