Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-27-2020, 06:55   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
COVID-19 and asymptomatic transmission

I started this thread as it directly affects me and my adult 55 Condo..

Last night I received a call from the 89yo lady next to me, Mrs W.

She tells me she just had a conversation with a lady in the next building, Mrs. M.

Mrs. M says "I tested positive for the virus BUT I don't have any symptoms,, I'm fine, you don't need to worry about me. Here is some cake I just backed. "

*)(&^)&*^*&^$%(*&%^(&*%(&*^%@*&^#_)&

From the CDC web site: Can COVID-19 be spread by asymptomatic individuals?
asymptomatic transmission may occur and has contributed to a limited amount of transmission of COVID-19 infections. People can shed the virus before they have symptoms, but this is generally less than individuals with symptoms.

My question: What the hell is limited??

background: I live in a 55+ condo of four buildings, 91 units, with apx 135 residents. The population is a mixed military & civilian work history, with some 10% still working. Average age?? maybe 75yo.

This is the first instance of the virus.

I know some of the residents are not at their mental peak with failing cognisant skills. I am concerned they will go blissfully on as if nothing is wrong.

Any Warm Fuzzies would be much appreciated..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:07   #2
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

JJ, warm and fuzzy would be if you wash hands often, don’t touch your face * a lot or with unclean hands and stay clear of coughing and sneezing people you should be fine. Of course wearing a mask only helps you a little bit if the people of unknown character around you are wearing theirs you again should be pretty safe.

Limited - My understanding of person to person transmission is close and repeated contact among family members or care management team members who are infected. Walking past an infected person at the grocery store or pumping gas next is very unlikely to transmit the virus.

Eat the cake and enjoy it! (Or not)

JMO though.

* face: eyes, mouth and nose.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 05-27-2020 at 07:11.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:31   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post

Limited - My understanding of person to person transmission is close and repeated contact among family members or care management team members who are infected. Walking past an infected person at the grocery store or pumping gas next is very unlikely to transmit the virus.

Eat the cake and enjoy it! (Or not)

That's my current assumption/understanding and I have been following that 'treatment' plan.

I was not the one offered the cake..

What really concerns me is this lady is a lawyer and practicing shrink and she doesn't see the problem.. From her LinkedIn and her web site,, she also appears to be a big-time SJW. Guessing from her degree trail, she is in her mid-50t's and should be well aware of what is going on.

it's scarry..

Old 05-27-2020, 14:37   #4
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I started this thread as it directly affects me and my adult 55 Condo..

Last night I received a call from the 89yo lady next to me, Mrs W.

She tells me she just had a conversation with a lady in the next building, Mrs. M.

Mrs. M says "I tested positive for the virus BUT I don't have any symptoms,, I'm fine, you don't need to worry about me. Here is some cake I just backed. "

*)(&^)&*^*&^$%(*&%^(&*%(&*^%@*&^#_)&

From the CDC web site: Can COVID-19 be spread by asymptomatic individuals?
asymptomatic transmission may occur and has contributed to a limited amount of transmission of COVID-19 infections. People can shed the virus before they have symptoms, but this is generally less than individuals with symptoms.

My question: What the hell is limited??

background: I live in a 55+ condo of four buildings, 91 units, with apx 135 residents. The population is a mixed military & civilian work history, with some 10% still working. Average age?? maybe 75yo.

This is the first instance of the virus.

I know some of the residents are not at their mental peak with failing cognisant skills. I am concerned they will go blissfully on as if nothing is wrong.

Any Warm Fuzzies would be much appreciated..

Here’s hopefully a warm fuzzie. I had to give same presentation to the upper echelons over safety of our vip, vvip, mass transportations, safety of chauffeur etc

Just distilling the journals n studies n empirical samples I came across
It comes down to viral load, which is a function of time, distance, activity, and barrier
So if the two ladies interacted briefly ie minutes, at 6 ft of more, outdoor, weren’t shouting at each other or singing their hearts out esp indoor and better yet if they wore masks then the risk of one getting infected by the asymptomatic neighbor is very minimum. If I’m doing my contact tracing, I wouldn’t have told her to quarantine for 14 days. Hardly we can ever declare zero risk but Unless one is severely immunodeficient, if I throw a single virus cell into the nares he/she shouldn’t get infected or start shedding

I would take the cake leave it alone for 72 hours then eat it after microwaving

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 05-27-2020 at 14:39.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 15:24   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
1)So if the two ladies interacted briefly ie minutes, at 6 ft of more, outdoor, weren’t shouting at each other or singing their hearts out esp indoor and better yet if they wore masks then the risk of one getting infected by the asymptomatic neighbor is very minimum.

2)If I’m doing my contact tracing, I wouldn’t have told her to quarantine for 14 days. Hardly we can ever declare zero risk but Unless one is severely immunodeficient, if I throw a single virus cell into the nares he/she shouldn’t get infected or start shedding
1) YES, but in the lobby

2)YES, I received a reply to my email a short while ago. I did not ask about the cake.

Quote:
I have been volunteering at the Alexandria Medical Reserve Corps--COVID-19 Call Center. We DO NOT see patients and the distancing and masking, as well as hand washing and disinfecting are stressed. But because of the phone calls of people and their families dealing with the infection, and their stories were getting to me AND because of my (our) age and my diabetes AND because of my concern with the people in our community, we decided to proceed with the test. We had it done yesterday and I let others know immediately.
It sounds like a good answer.
Not familiar with MRC's, but it looks like a good org.
https://www.alexandriava.gov/MedicalReserve

Thanks guys, I feel better..

Old 05-27-2020, 20:32   #6
scooter
Quiet Professional

For what it’s worth the CDC thinks 35 percent of all COVID cases have no symptoms, but can still spread the virus.

The virus isn’t dangerous because it has a high fatality rate (it doesn’t - .26% is the current estimate), but because There is zero natural immunity. If you come in contact with it, you’ll probably get it. .026% of everyone is still a lot of folks.

Lady is a moron.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote