Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 06-23-2009, 11:08   #1
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

PCS Tactics - SF Style

There used to be a classified class on Smoke Bomb Hill entitled PCS Tactics. The class was designed to keep SF people from being subjected to the Big Army BS during a PCS.

The class lasted about three hours and included subjects such as:

Not wearing a fatigue shirt with any SF patches or your real name tag.

Standing in formation and answering the roll call but not reporting for details when the sergeant took down your name by looking at your (phoney) name tag.

If a senior NCO from SF was present at formation, He would have a clipboard and a list of SF personel in formation and he would deliver the list to the 1st Sergeant & tell the 1st Sergeant that those listed were his "detail". He would the march the "detail" to the bowling alley to while away the time until the next formation.

I guess that CRS has me in its grip because that's all that I can remember, Join in if you can remember any other tactics.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 16:28   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I never got that class but I used similar tactics at Ft Lewis when my buddy and I were headed to Vietnam in 1972. My future brother in law was an Air Force captain at McChord AFB. Each morning he would come by the transient barracks, tell the duty NCO that we were assigned to him. Off we would go...Also, when our orders were cancelled the day before we were to leave, we made the call to Mrs A and got assigned to 46th Co...Thanks Mrs A, we will always be indebted to you...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 16:21   #3
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

"Ghosting" used to be an SF "art form." What do they call it today?
Old 06-24-2009, 17:13   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I don't know. Maybe you guys are smarter than me, or things changed.

I was so happy to be serving in Special Forces that I just showed up and did what I was asked to, to the best of my abilities. I had a ball, and would not change a thing.

I don't think hiding in the barracks would have been as much fun as a day on the range, but again, that is just me.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 17:21   #5
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I don't know. Maybe you guys are smarter than me, or things changed.

I was so happy to be serving in Special Forces that I just showed up and did what I was asked to, to the best of my abilities. I had a ball, and would not change a thing.

I don't think hiding in the barracks would have been as much fun as a day on the range, but again, that is just me.

TR
I'm sure things changed - for the better. The fourth straight day of KP, or cleaning the restrooms of the "puzzle palace," quickly lost its luster - as did the other after duty hours "ODO" details, or visits to the "slave market" over by 2nd Bn HQ for assignment to whatever detail they had.

I'd have been first in line for a day at the range, even if only to pick up brass.
Old 06-25-2009, 20:57   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I think F50Lrrp was referring to times when SF personnel were assigned to units other than Group. When in Group, I never hid from work or details. I stood guard, was a "Smoke-eater" at Gabriel, drove the ambulance for the snuffies at MacKall, anything I was told to do. At non-SF schools, I always took responsibility for my performance, studies and leadership. I would never do anything to disgrace the Regiment. But, in transit, I had some issues with NCO's who took special delight in ordering a green beanie around...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:40   #7
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

We're Special Forces. We'll do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I think F50Lrrp was referring to times when SF personnel were assigned to units other than Group. When in Group, I never hid from work or details. I stood guard, was a "Smoke-eater" at Gabriel, drove the ambulance for the snuffies at MacKall, anything I was told to do. At non-SF schools, I always took responsibility for my performance, studies and leadership. I would never do anything to disgrace the Regiment. But, in transit, I had some issues with NCO's who took special delight in ordering a green beanie around...
When I was in the 10th in '68, Mike Laufer and I were sent to 7th Army CBR school in Vilseck. We were in a class made up mostly of Armor 2Lts wearing their new spitshined Tanker Boots. When they asked for 2 volunteers to show the effects of Mustard agent, guess who stood up? None of the tanker boyz.
I still have the scar on my forearm from that dang Mustard blister. The only "tattoo"I ever got.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:53   #8
blacksmoke
Like My Mankini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Shamming.
blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:39   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I guess I'm lucky ,I never served in a SF capacity other than in an SF Group....... Can't imagine what it would be like if an NCO(not SF) would be screwing with me because I wore a green beret. I think I would do what I've read as a response from BMT and "punch him in the neck"........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 13:12   #10
CSB
Quiet Professional

I think those tactics are acceptable when SF soldiers are being fucked with by non-SF personnel during pre-PCS, pre-ETS post clearing and replacement detachment days.

Under the heading: You know you are an old fart if you remember:

E-7's and E-8's picking up pine cones on Smoke Bomb Hill.

Of course, as an officer (1st LT) I didn't have to pick up any pine cones ... I
got to hold the big bag the pine cones were dropped in.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 13:30   #11
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Back in my day, you PCSed through the "Big Army". It was usually the case that you would be assigned to a replacement company at Fort Dix, or Fort Lewis or the Oakland Army or such and you would be at the mercy of some fat bellied 1st sergeant for a couple of days up to a couple of weeks. These 1st sergeants typically loved to F--- with SF soldiers.

I remember cutting lawns at the JFK Center. The junior NCOs got push mowers, the senior NCOs got power mowers and the oficers got riding mowers.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 13:40   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Under the heading: You know you are an old fart if you remember:

E-7's and E-8's picking up pine cones on Smoke Bomb Hill.

Of course, as an officer (1st LT) I didn't have to pick up any pine cones ... I
got to hold the big bag the pine cones were dropped in.
After OCS, I returned to the 7th SFG where I was the only 2LT DET CDR. One day while doing police detail with my ODA, our BN XO saw me working and pulled me aside for a chat about officer duties and NCO duties. I was agreeably polite as I listend and thanked him for his sage advice - and from then on made sure I kept a better lookout whenever we had such details to do.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 13:49   #13
Pete
Quiet Professional

5 Ton Tractor/Trailer

You ain't seen nottin' till a Red Cycle rolls around and you're the one with a 5 Ton Tractor/Trailer License.

Got the 45PAX and some French Oil Cooled Beast stamps also.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 17:34   #14
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
'69-'70 we referred to it as being "Casper Qualified"!!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51   #15
XJWoody
Auxiliary

Perspective...

I recall the short time I spent at SWC as some of the best times I had in the Army. Especially when compared to the C.F. involved in / outprocessing from a Regular Army base.

During my stint as a slave, I got detailed out to a couple interesting schools (SERE & O & I) and got to do a final hollywood jump from a DC3. Note to Jumpmasters: When you go about hunting down bodies for the manifest, do not fail to ask "Are you CURRENTLY on jump status?" ("Who wants to jump tomorrow?" may draw out participants from a larger pool than intended)

I also had the dubious honor(?) of outprocessing FBNC in gray "PT" uniform. I had a great time in The Final Hour convincing the leg E6 at XVIII Corps finance that I was due one months' jump pay for the above event, lack of jump orders was not MY problem... Having successfully negotiated that obstacle, DD214 and $100 "bonus" burning a hole in my pocket, and sitting in traffic heading off base, an 82d O-5 and I about got greased by a semi on Bragg Blvd. He laughed when I offered to buy him a "Missed us by >< that much" Beer.

Cliffs Notes: A 20 year career on the SWC slave market would be better than one day (unless it was the last day) at a R.A. repo-depot.
XJWoody is offline   Reply With Quote