Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 21:44   #151
oda751
Asset
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lacey Wa 7 miles south of Ft Lewis home of 1sfga moved in November 2012 to Navarre Fl near Eglin AFB
Posts: 5
FOB #2 / CCC 1966,67,68

Sgm Edward Thatcher. E-5/6 at the time at FOB2. Worked in commo bunker with SFC Butrim, SFC Thompson. While I was there I knew Squirill Sprouse, Snake Adams, Howard, Zabakoski, Terry, Goodhue, Musselman, and many others. Mad Dog Shiver was they for a short while with his monkey. Have some pictures. Just moved Nov 2012 to Navarre FL near Eglin and the 7th SFGA.
oda751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 15:02   #152
JYD73
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 29
Gentlemen,

By chance did any of you MACV-SOG warriors serve with SGT James N. Pruit? Could you tell me which RT he was with, and any details of the 17 July 1969 POW snatch mission on which he was nominated for the Medal of Honor? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
JYD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 20:36   #153
lovemycountry
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 113
JYD, I have no information for you but share your want for info....On 17 July 1969...James Pruit not only performed a prisoner Snatch but performed 2 snatches...unfortunately both were "silenced" during the attack. "Sergeant Pruitt threw his own body against the prisoner of war in an effort to prevent his death. ""However, the numerically superior enemy force gained fire superiority and seriously wounded Sergeant Pruitt and silenced their captured comrade." There was no mention of what RT. I share your thirst for knowledge. I have read many books but cannot find more info.

LMC
__________________


"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
lovemycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 20:52   #154
DDD
Quiet Professional
 
DDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYD73 View Post
Gentlemen,

By chance did any of you MACV-SOG warriors serve with SGT James N. Pruit? Could you tell me which RT he was with, and any details of the 17 July 1969 POW snatch mission on which he was nominated for the Medal of Honor? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
Don't know the RT he was with. He talked to my phase III class in depth about that mission (but I've forgotten a lot). His 1-1 was Buck Buchanan and after he (Pruit) was evaced because of his wounds (eviseration, collapased lung, right ear partially detached, and a 7.62 through one foot) Donnie Powers replaced him as the 1-0. The 7.62 wound was inflicted by gunships making East/West and North/South runs on their postion prior to a slick dropping a Mcguire rig for extract.

Hope this helps.
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 21:25   #155
lovemycountry
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Don't know the RT he was with. He talked to my phase III class in depth about that mission (but I've forgotten a lot). His 1-1 was Buck Buchanan and after he (Pruit) was evaced because of his wounds (eviseration, collapased lung, right ear partially detached, and a 7.62 through one foot) Donnie Powers replaced him as the 1-0. The 7.62 wound was inflicted by gunships making East/West and North/South runs on their postion prior to a slick dropping a Mcguire rig for extract.

Hope this helps.
was that Ralph (BUCK) Buchanan? If so look at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...=47009460...he mentions Vietnam
__________________


"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
lovemycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 21:28   #156
DDD
Quiet Professional
 
DDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 298
Sorry, L don't know. Never met the man.
DDD
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 16:55   #157
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional
 
Ambush Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: DFW Texas Area
Posts: 4,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycountry View Post
was that Ralph (BUCK) Buchanan? If so look at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...=47009460...he mentions Vietnam
Negative. There were Kyle R., Larry D., and Michael D., but no Ralph in SOG.
__________________
Martin sends.
Ambush Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 14:43   #158
JYD73
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 29
Thanks for the info, I will try looking into the Buchanan and Powers route. No bit of information is too small, as it generally leads to new avenues of research. I will be FOIA ing SSGT Pruitts MoH packet sometime soon, but I know that will not contain the RT team. Unfortunately the location of action will only read "deep in enemy occupied territory" as well. His MoH packet is one of only three that were downgraded and are fully contained in the National Archives. Hopefully(fingers crossed) there will be legislation this spring going into the NDAA to waive the time limit and provide a route for review to upgrade these and other MACV-SOG and Special Operations time sensative medals and awards. I'm headed back to DC in March to work on gathering more support for this legislative effort, which is 1/2 of the battle. Never thought I'd be a lobbyist, but apparently now I am, sort of. The other half will be preparing packets for the actual reviews themselves through the Army, and SSGT Pruitts mission has the least information available. So thanks much for even the smallest bits of information!

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
JYD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 21:11   #159
bushmaster11
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 117
MACV-SOG P.U.C.

Has anyone had trouble getting PUC put on DD 214? St Louis said to go through Board of Corrections. I filed their forms and submitted the packet last year. I just got their decision and they have denied including the PUC on DD 214 because my records reflect assignment to SOACCN. My records show no affiliation with MACV-SOG. I had sent them all orders to and from CCN. I also included the GO for the PUC. How did others get the PUC into their official file. I am retired, no pressing reason, other than the pride of being recognized by any future ancestors.

J R sends
De Oppresso Liber
bushmaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 21:51   #160
Richard
Quiet Professional
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 15,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster11 View Post
Has anyone had trouble getting PUC put on DD 214? St Louis said to go through Board of Corrections. I filed their forms and submitted the packet last year. I just got their decision and they have denied including the PUC on DD 214 because my records reflect assignment to SOACCN. My records show no affiliation with MACV-SOG. I had sent them all orders to and from CCN. I also included the GO for the PUC. How did others get the PUC into their official file. I am retired, no pressing reason, other than the pride of being recognized by any future ancestors.

J R sends
De Oppresso Liber
I'd resubmit it with an attachment citing something like Plaster's or Greco's or Hardy's or Saal's books offering a documented historical narrative explaining exactly how 5th SFG SOA was a "cover" for assignment to MACVSOG. Effin' legs today have no idea otherwise.

Good luck.

Richard
__________________
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:52   #161
Badger52
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western WI
Posts: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I'd resubmit it with an attachment citing something like Plaster's or Greco's or Hardy's or Saal's books offering a documented historical narrative explaining exactly how 5th SFG SOA was a "cover" for assignment to MACVSOG. Effin' legs today have no idea otherwise.

Good luck.

Richard
YGBSM sir. This is a sorry state of affairs; maybe the Wiki entry would be something they'd understand. Jeebers.
__________________
No hero was ever baptised in the tepid waters of pragmatism.

"Civil Wars don't start when a few guys hunt down a specific bastard. Civil Wars start when many guys hunt down the nearest bastards."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09   #162
JYD73
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 29
PUC

Hope this helps, a more detailed message sent too sir!

http://www.history.army.mil/html/for...GO-2001-25.pdf
JYD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 16:15   #163
bushmaster11
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 117
PUC redux

I resubmitted an appeal. I sent them a copy of the actual General Order 25, In the FIRST sentence when listing units that are covered is 5th SFG, SOACCN. I also sent them additional orders that leave no doubt of assignment. I then asked them why did they not bother to look at the order with it spelled out for them. I know I should not have, but I am still Pissed. Will post final adjudication. Thanks all.

J R sends
DOL
bushmaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 14:03   #164
bushmaster11
Guerrilla
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 117
PUC update

Got letter from Review Board. Will not use initial case number, so it has new number which puts it back of the line to start over. So, it will take another year to make the decision.

J R sends
DOL
bushmaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:02   #165
JYD73
Asset
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 29
Rose Medal of Honor MACV-SOG

I haven’t been on here in quite some time. Hope you gentlemen are well. Most of you have probably heard or seen about Mike Rose’s upgrade of this DSC to the Medal of Honor as he was originally nominated. We’re in last phase of this effort, just waiting for the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act with time-limit waiver to go through authorizing POTUS to present. Many thanks for those who assisted in contacts and helping to find people to complete this mission. Below is the article from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/us...rose.html?_r=0
JYD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roll Call The Reaper 7th Special Forces Group 282 09-15-2014 19:46



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59.



Copyright 2004-2020 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies