Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 05-10-2007, 14:30   #16
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
I remember when 1/10th was issued one of the first generations of Goretex,
I have a gortex jacket we were issued in the late 70's at Devens issued to our team by Natick. Not military looking at all more of a forest green and pretty light weight, but we wore the hell out of them under our tops.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 15:01   #17
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
I have a gortex jacket we were issued in the late 70's at Devens issued to our team by Natick. Not military looking at all more of a forest green and pretty light weight, but we wore the hell out of them under our tops.

SGM- you mean the 'green bean' don't you? All the FSTIII guys wore the hell out of them, funny though, theirs never had any little burn holes or burr cuts in them, and always looked so clean... They still issued them in '84, and 6 months later we got the 'new' camo lightweights that had that nasty slick finish on them.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 17:07   #18
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
you mean the 'green bean' don't you?
Don't remember it being called that but that's a better color description. Still have and wear mine.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 22:16   #19
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
We were issued those light weight green jackets in Tolz. We also worn them under our OG 107s. They were handy in the Spring to help shed the rains.

Mine is now far too small to wear now.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity - even under the most difficult circumstances - to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Victor E. Frankl
The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 20:52   #20
Farther
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFI115
Okay guys. You all fail poli sci 101 or "How sxxx really takes place in the USA". There was one reason for the move and the same reason that Ft Campbell will never close.

The reason..drum roll, please; FOUR(4) Senators!!
I presume you mean two from TN and two from KY?
Old 05-25-2007, 21:26   #21
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

FARTHER!!!

Try complying with our simple request and make your belated FIRST POST here: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...=13758&page=10

You did fill in your profile, but you missed step #2!!

Later
Martin
Old 05-29-2007, 13:23   #22
MFFI115
Quiet Professional

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther
I presume you mean two from TN and two from KY?
You pass!
MFFI115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 18:00   #23
Mosby Raider
Quiet Professional

Green Gortex

I was on the Strat Recon committee and we were issued the lightweight green Gortex and brown Gortex boots in 1984.
Reality has far outstripped our ability to satirize it. Unknown
Mosby Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29   #24
PRB
Quiet Professional

Most of the story is correct.
5th was slated to move to Bliss.
Gen Wickham, as the CoS, wanted another unit so Campbell would survive a base closing commission.
SF resisted this move to Campbell as Bliss is similar to the aor and we were really getting serious (finally) about desert warfare.
Wickham raised the anty and said he would approve the 18 series enlisted MOS/officers branch on the condition 5th moved to Cambell.
ERGO 5th at Cambell and we have our own branch.
Still friggin criminal in my opinion.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 13:40   #25
CSB
Quiet Professional

Ft. Campbell / 5th Group

As in most major decisions, there were a number of factors:

1 - Yes, Ft. Campbell sits like a CH-47 Chinook on the state line between Kentucky and Tennessee. See map. That means two state's worth of Senators and Representatives.

2 - Ft. Campbell was the home of the 160th SOAR, newly designated as such from the former "Task Force 160," and would be working with them not only for operations, but also for development of doctrine and procedures.

3 - It is easier to take a complete, well established SF Group with full TO & E and move them to Ft. Campbell. That maintains unit integrity, and puts them in an immediately deployable mode as soon as they are wheels down. Standing up 3rd SF Group at Ft. Campbell would be far from the Ft. Bragg / JFK Center flagpole, and with the pipeline (personnel and logistics) and school house far away. Better to stand up a new group in the shadow of the schoolhouse and have the personnel and assets expertise to spin them up to C1 quickly.

4 - Whether or not "becoming a branch" factored into the mix, I don't know. I know SF as a separate branch was being seriously discussed as early as 1982, so it seems a long time to have had any effect on a base change in 1986.

5 - Ft. Campbell does have a tradition of airborne operations, dating back to the gliders, and airborne of the 101st Airborne Division. It has at least nine drop zones not being used for much since the 101st went leg in the 1970's.

6 - There are plenty of Uwarrie type off post training areas, including Land Between the Lakes just off the western end of the reservation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ft. Campbell.jpg (29.6 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by CSB; 04-01-2009 at 13:51.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 14:29   #26
Dozer523
BANNED USER

The "up the ante" rings pretty true.
I was at SWC when the 18 series Officer's Branch was being briefed to anyone who would listen or, in some cases probably didn't make it to the door before BG Guest or Col Potter (I think then MAJ Shaw was pretty active in this issue) locked it. I heard in the hallway that it would be hard to overcome VCSA LTG Thurman's objection, "Special Forces as a Force Multiplier already works, so you don't have that argument. No one is going to approve a new Officer Branch to ensure a few officers have a Professional Growth path."
No one, apparently, unless he was the CSA and wanted to make Ft Campbell, happy. Bet GEN Wickham is a Kentucky Colonel!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 17:55   #27
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

"5 - Ft. Campbell does have a tradition of airborne operations, dating back to the gliders, and airborne of the 101st Airborne Division. It has at least nine drop zones not being used for much since the 101st went leg in the 1970's."

The 101st became LEG in 1968... I was at the "A" company NCO Club at Bien Hoa when LTG Zais' (CG 101 AB) jeep passed. All of the SF NCOs came to attention and saluted but didn't render the customery "All The Way, Sir".

General Zais looked pained and said, "All The Way, Gentlemen", To which the NCOs replied, AIR MOBILE? General"!

The next week, the 101 was redesignated 101 Airborne (Air Mobile) thanks to General Westmoreland.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:06   #28
CSB
Quiet Professional

101st Drop Zones in use unti mid-1970's

OK, let's not get too far off-topic, but ...

Quote:
In late 1971 and early 1972, the 101st withdrew from Vietnam and returned to the United States. It was the last United States Army division to leave the combat zone in Vietnam Seventeen Congressional Medal of Honor awards were given to individuals from the 101st. Vice President Spiro T. Agnew and Army Chief of Staff General William C. Westmoreland welcomed the 101st home during official homecoming ceremonies on 6 April 1972 at Fort Campbell.

THE POST VIETNAM ERA
The Screaming Eagles were at 20 percent of their authorized strength on homecoming day due to an early separation date program, the transfer of soldiers to their units to complete their tours of duty in Vietnam, and an extensive leave policy. A recruiting program called "Unit of Choice" enabled the 101st to reach sixty-five percent by December. Rebuilding combat readiness became the major goal of new training programs. On 24 January 1973, elements of the 3rd Brigade participated in the largest airborne operation held by the 101st since their return from Vietnam. Exercise QUICK EAGLE I tested the combat readiness of the 3rd Brigade, and subsequent QUICK EAGLE exercises tested the rest of the Division. By June 1973, the 101st was again combat ready.

101st AIRBORNE DIVISION (AIR ASSAULT)
The 101st underwent significant identity changes during 1974. On 1 February, the 3rd Brigade announced the termination of its parachute status, and Major General Sidney B. Berry, Commanding General of the 101st, authorized the wearing of an airmobile badge. When the airmobile designation was dropped on 4 October that same year, the Division added the Air Assault designation. Graduates of the Air Assault School each received the newly designed air assault badge, which officially became an Army qualifications skill badge on 20 January 1978, retroactive to 1 April 1974 for any soldier in an air assault unit who had demonstrated qualifying professional knowledge and skill.
http://www.lzsally.com/sally2/archiv...irborne_di.htm

And an authorative rendering of the 101st Airborne Division immediately post Viet Nam (the author is brilliant soldier, an excellent author, strong, handsome, good in bed, and is kind to small animals):

http://airassault.bizhosting.com/PostRVN.htm

Anyway ...

the 101st was 1/3 Airborne and "on status" until 1974. I was on that last mass tactical jump, but unlike many others, I did not steal my T-10 reserve nor cut a scarf from my canopy, since, as a Pathfinder, I stayed on status after the rest of the Division went leg.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:16   #29
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
(the author is brilliant soldier, an excellent author, strong, handsome, good in bed, and is kind to small animals): .
Anyone we know?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:30   #30
Razor
Quiet Professional

I'm a little concerned that "good in bed" and "kind to small animals" was mentioned so closely together.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote