Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-28-2018, 10:57   #31
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM-H View Post
I took the test as a joke to prove I could get an Obama phone ( came back 1%)... Anyway, stated I had two 1st cousins. Contacted one of them, we chatted, they sent me names of "family"..... Then I told them truth be told I was adopted and didn't truly find out until I was 38 years old..... "very interesting"....

A week later, (I did give the lady my birth name, date and mothers name) received an e-mail with names of relatives in Louisville, Ky....

Because of the test I met my 99 year old maternal grandmother, three Aunts, two Uncles, two half sisters and a half brother...... my Grandmother dies at 101 and 2 months.... she was a pistol.

As far as what you've been told all your life, take the test, you might be surprised what you find out..... For me it was and is worth it... Good Luck, CSM-H
A great story CSM !
Old 04-26-2018, 17:50   #32
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

And look how they caught The Golden State Killer.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...426-story.html

The public will eventually lose more individual rights because of this technology and the databases built from it.

LHC
Old 04-26-2018, 19:07   #33
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post

The public will eventually lose more individual rights because of this technology and the databases built from it.

LHC
For the time being I am not going to feel to bad as to just how this POS was caught. When the powers to be take that info and start rounding people up because let's say they have blue eyes then I may get concerned.
Old 04-26-2018, 20:31   #34
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:

LHC
Well, the case was probably so cold as to be in a deep freezer. Actor Patton Oswalt's (Justified) late wife, Michelle McNamara, chased the case and wrote a novel, I'll be Gone in the Dark, that re-opened the case. They probably just used current tech to cover the fact that they had dropped the case.

Still . . .

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 04-26-2018 at 21:30. Reason: typo
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 20:34   #35
Box
Quiet Professional

I was born in Baltimore....................
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 20:35   #36
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

LHC

Blade Runner.......... 2018 That's a smart thinking cop.
Old 05-22-2018, 18:47   #37
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Curiosity finally got me, I gave in and took the DNA test from 23andMe..

Results are about what I expected.. High North Western Europe percentage. Irish, Scotch, Swed..

Did miss on one, was always told my Mom's dad, Prosper Mazziott, was 100% Italian,, but only had a 2.1% hit??

The Neanderthal markers were what I expected,, BUT you probably already know that?? ..

Has anyone, that took the test, tried to contact the suggested relatives?? They think I have several 1st cousins,, never heard of them..

So doing some research into my own family tree led me to look for an answer that my father in law answered a retired professor but before that a molecular geneticist Phd in a cancer research institute....my mother is Swedish but my dads 1/4 native American which does not show up in DNA test for myself or himself so I had to ask to confirm my own research.....it was explained in laymans terms for me their are 2 main DNA types tested by these companies the Y-DNA, and the MtDNA as laid out in a link analysis it looks like this a man hands down the Y-DNA directly from father to son only that will only pass down to his son and so forth not from his daughter to her sons the daughter will only pass own the fathers Y within the G-nome but the Y will come from that childs father the MtDNA will only pass down from the mother to the daughter and to that daughters daughter and so forth. My daughters will and do have many Swedish characteristics and physical traits but none carry her Mt so Swedish or Native would never show up in their tests.

My Fathers mothers, father his grandfather the only one he knew was a full blooded Indian off a reservation but since it was his mother father their is no Y or Mt passed on from him and will never show in a Y or a Mt test the only way to prove this is the G-nome of an individual would need to be decoded to find out the truetraits that make us...us. My Gmother looked like a blue eyed Indian and my father though blonde as a kid started to take on some of his grandfathers physical characteristics of being Indian....but no matter how true it is their is no way to prove through DNA he shares the same DNA without the Gnome his own native heritage will be unknown.....going off the Y my surname is deeply rooted in the Viking gene.

What these tests boils down to is a bigger mystery given the Y goes from your father to his to his and so on and your Mt goes from your mother to her mother and so on but what is not seen in these tests without the Gnome being tore apart are the generations that are not in your direct Y or Mt lines which is most of our DNA which doubles every generation back the parents the 4 grandparents the 8 great grandparents then 16-32-64-128-256-512-1024 and so on....10 generations back you will have 1024 direct descendants of just those 10 generations only 10 men in the fathers direct line will share the Y and 10 women in a females direct line will share the Mt in the 10th generation to the direct female that leaves in every generation unaccounted for majority DNA so if we add up all the direct descendants minus the Y and Mt we end up with 20 out of 2032 and 2012 descendants heredity unknown by those tests.

Autosomal DNA is the new stuff and that is what the data bases are going to to do what they claim to do and that is to connect subscribers to relatives in a broader sense as in anyone who shares DNA....the father and the mother pass down DNA to a child in which the new DNA of the child will go through a recombination which allows us the differences between siblings as each will have its own recombination-ed DNA to allow for uniqueness as in traits physical, personality and responses to external stimuli etc....(The first steps of genetic drift and evolution sort-of how it starts out) essentially it is a more complete picture of your heredity as it will link you outwards to distant cousins in the same family tree but not just in the linear all the way back MtDNA for example will stay unchanged for up to 200 generations the Mt or Y. In my case the Autosomal tests would reveal the ancestors missing in the Mt and the Y (the majority) at least back a few generations but again it would take a reverse engineering of the G-nome to unlock the complete data.

copied
50% (parents and siblings)
25% (grandparents, aunts/uncles, half-siblings, double first-cousins)
12.5% (first cousins)
6.25% (first cousins, once removed)
3.125 (second cousins, first cousins twice removed)
0.781% (third cousins)
0.195% (fourth cousins)

Depending on the complexity of your DNA if your family tree goes in a straight lie that would leave your DNA relatively untouched and the recombination effect very little impact in comparison and therefore the tests would go farther back in generations....however the heinz 57 all american will not be able to go back very far due to the recombination no longer carry certain DNA from ancestors. I think something to remember in these things is how new the science is and how many humans have existed prior.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 05-22-2018 at 21:25.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:29   #38
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
So doing some research into my own family tree led me to look for an answer that my father in law answered a retired professor but before that a molecular geneticist Phd in a cancer research institute....my mother is Swedish but my dads 1/4 native American which does not show up in DNA test for myself or himself so I had to ask to confirm my own research.....it was explained in laymans terms for me their are 2 main DNA types tested by these companies the Y-DNA, and the MtDNA as laid out in a link analysis it looks like this a man hands down the Y-DNA directly from father to son only that will only pass down to his son and so forth not from his daughter to her sons the daughter will only pass own the fathers Y within the G-nome but the Y will come from that childs father the MtDNA will only pass down from the mother to the daughter and to that daughters daughter and so forth. My daughters will and do have many Swedish characteristics and physical traits but none carry her Mt so Swedish or Native would never show up in their tests.

My Fathers mothers, father his grandfather the only one he knew was a full blooded Indian off a reservation but since it was his mother father their is no Y or Mt passed on from him and will never show in a Y or a Mt test the only way to prove this is the G-nome of an individual would need to be decoded to find out the truetraits that make us...us. My Gmother looked like a blue eyed Indian and my father though blonde as a kid started to take on some of his grandfathers physical characteristics of being Indian....but no matter how true it is their is no way to prove through DNA he shares the same DNA without the Gnome his own native heritage will be unknown.....going off the Y my surname is deeply rooted in the Viking gene.

What these tests boils down to is a bigger mystery given the Y goes from your father to his to his and so on and your Mt goes from your mother to her mother and so on but what is not seen in these tests without the Gnome being tore apart are the generations that are not in your direct Y or Mt lines which is most of our DNA which doubles every generation back the parents the 4 grandparents the 8 great grandparents then 16-32-64-128-256-512-1024 and so on....10 generations back you will have 1024 direct descendants of just those 10 generations only 10 men in the fathers direct line will share the Y and 10 women in a females direct line will share the Mt in the 10th generation to the direct female that leaves in every generation unaccounted for majority DNA so if we add up all the direct descendants minus the Y and Mt we end up with 20 out of 2032 and 2012 descendants heredity unknown by those tests.

Autosomal DNA is the new stuff and that is what the data bases are going to to do what they claim to do and that is to connect subscribers to relatives in a broader sense as in anyone who shares DNA....the father and the mother pass down DNA to a child in which the new DNA of the child will go through a recombination which allows us the differences between siblings as each will have its own recombination-ed DNA to allow for uniqueness as in traits physical, personality and responses to external stimuli etc....(The first steps of genetic drift and evolution sort-of how it starts out) essentially it is a more complete picture of your heredity as it will link you outwards to distant cousins in the same family tree but not just in the linear all the way back MtDNA for example will stay unchanged for up to 200 generations the Mt or Y. In my case the Autosomal tests would reveal the ancestors missing in the Mt and the Y (the majority) at least back a few generations but again it would take a reverse engineering of the G-nome to unlock the complete data.

copied
50% (parents and siblings)
25% (grandparents, aunts/uncles, half-siblings, double first-cousins)
12.5% (first cousins)
6.25% (first cousins, once removed)
3.125 (second cousins, first cousins twice removed)
0.781% (third cousins)
0.195% (fourth cousins)

Depending on the complexity of your DNA if your family tree goes in a straight lie that would leave your DNA relatively untouched and the recombination effect very little impact in comparison and therefore the tests would go farther back in generations....however the heinz 57 all american will not be able to go back very far due to the recombination no longer carry certain DNA from ancestors. I think something to remember in these things is how new the science is and how many humans have existed prior.
I wonder if a Big-Y test on FtDNA might give you better answers on the Native American?
Old 05-23-2018, 14:02   #39
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
I wonder if a Big-Y test on FtDNA might give you better answers on the Native American?
No they can't the state of ability right now and the recombination of DNA every generation more than likely will not pick up a direct link the direct link is basically only useful if others are also doing their Y and Mt at which the Autosomal testing would make it possible to speak with known genetic relatives and look at their Y or Mt linkage......their are for me too many degrees of separation. My point is I know he was my GGF and that he was native american what tribe?? he was a child when taken and given a white mans name of George Washington Jordan from Oklahoma he had no sons so their will be no Y carrier that the Y was passed to. I was just passing on the reality of these tests they leave out most of your ancestry because they simply do not have the ability nor the data(DNA)of every person to link you too them....the companies are selling a product without the education to understand the complexity of DNA mapping the reason they are going to the Autosomal to simply link you with close to distant blood relatives as far out as a 4th or 5th cousin....filling in the gaps of the Y and Mt lines are on you and your relatives to do the testing and then you would need to link them up. As of right now an individual can only trace his Y and his Mt back for generations so if the NAZI's were looking for DNA proof of my Aryanism then according to the Y and Mt I am 100% Nordic but in reality.....my genealogy shows much more but myself and 8 siblings all inherited Nordic physical traits.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 05-23-2018 at 14:06.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 21:07   #40
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
No they can't the state of ability right now and the recombination of DNA every generation more than likely will not pick up a direct link the direct link is basically only useful if others are also doing their Y and Mt at which the Autosomal testing would make it possible to speak with known genetic relatives and look at their Y or Mt linkage......their are for me too many degrees of separation. My point is I know he was my GGF and that he was native american what tribe?? he was a child when taken and given a white mans name of George Washington Jordan from Oklahoma he had no sons so their will be no Y carrier that the Y was passed to. I was just passing on the reality of these tests they leave out most of your ancestry because they simply do not have the ability nor the data(DNA)of every person to link you too them....the companies are selling a product without the education to understand the complexity of DNA mapping the reason they are going to the Autosomal to simply link you with close to distant blood relatives as far out as a 4th or 5th cousin....filling in the gaps of the Y and Mt lines are on you and your relatives to do the testing and then you would need to link them up. As of right now an individual can only trace his Y and his Mt back for generations so if the NAZI's were looking for DNA proof of my Aryanism then according to the Y and Mt I am 100% Nordic but in reality.....my genealogy shows much more but myself and 8 siblings all inherited Nordic physical traits.
Maybe someday they will make it possible to find the direct link.

I never was all that interested in the ethnic side of DNA, but I have read quite a few threads were people's heads are spinning because one service differs from another. In fact my Sister-in-Law was freaking out because her sister/my wife had far more German...I think it crossed her mind her Mom may have had an affair She also thought that she and my wife would have received 'equal' shares of their parents DNA.

Autosomal is much more enjoyable than FTDNA's Y or Mt, or 23&me's health report. I have found a previously unknown half sister, a long lost Aunt who was abandoned in Ohio around 1861, put together a very comprehensive family tree and helped several adoptees track down their bio families. But you are correct that the services are selling a product and don't offer much education on the subject.

As for ethnic origins, our paternal line qualifies as Irish, they migrated to the US from County Tyrone, Ireland, however prior to Ireland the family lived in France. My Dad's mother was full-blooded Swede, her parents moved to the US from Sweden, however the vast majority of DNA matches with the same surname are German and Dutch, and if you go back far enough there appears to be a touch of European Jew. And back to my Sis-in-Law, a lot of their surname kin had Eastern European's origins not German.
Old 05-24-2018, 18:55   #41
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
Maybe someday they will make it possible to find the direct link.

I never was all that interested in the ethnic side of DNA, but I have read quite a few threads were people's heads are spinning because one service differs from another. In fact my Sister-in-Law was freaking out because her sister/my wife had far more German...I think it crossed her mind her Mom may have had an affair She also thought that she and my wife would have received 'equal' shares of their parents DNA.

Autosomal is much more enjoyable than FTDNA's Y or Mt, or 23&me's health report. I have found a previously unknown half sister, a long lost Aunt who was abandoned in Ohio around 1861, put together a very comprehensive family tree and helped several adoptees track down their bio families. But you are correct that the services are selling a product and don't offer much education on the subject.

As for ethnic origins, our paternal line qualifies as Irish, they migrated to the US from County Tyrone, Ireland, however prior to Ireland the family lived in France. My Dad's mother was full-blooded Swede, her parents moved to the US from Sweden, however the vast majority of DNA matches with the same surname are German and Dutch, and if you go back far enough there appears to be a touch of European Jew. And back to my Sis-in-Law, a lot of their surname kin had Eastern European's origins not German.

Well and that is another discussion as well DNA data bases based off what their is only traces your DNA back to where the majority has been found given the limited amount of info they actually have....but back to what you were saying about the surname it is the same as mine my surname the Y is deeply connected to Vikings or the Viking gene but to illustrate if the Viking age ended in say 1200 well that is but one direct line and like I said if a generation happens every 20 yrs then 10 generations would be 200 yrs and as I said earlier that is 1024 gggggggggrandparents and 1 parent of which 10 of those have the surname and the same Y...its the 1014 or not counting my mothers MtDNA....1004 that have contributed to my DNA...however the mystery is how complete is my DNA strand how much has been lost through recombination and how many traits, behaviors and characteristics are inherited.

SO having said all that my heritage is what I was raised in an American my ancestry comes from possibly everywhere the Vikings were known for assimilating conquered cultures around Europe and as far down as Crimea down the Volga river....Genghis Khan and his warriors spread their DNA every place they conquered and the Ottomans and the Romans etc......the Spaniards my ancestor John Rolf shared his with Pocahontas roughly 18-20 generations back....Cultures have fought, killed, assimilated, raped and spread its own culture and unique traits for as long as man has existed and have been able to travel. The Germans had the standard of tracing ancestry back to 1800 which is actually on line with recombination of genetics which is amazing given the lack of understanding of genetics at that time.
Old 05-24-2018, 23:02   #42
Remington Raidr
Guerrilla

Now your just braggin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I took the test too, came back pure Neanderthal.
Says You
Remington Raidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 22:03   #43
mojaveman
Area Commander

Not ready to give a DNA sample to anyone yet but my brother did so:

Northwest European 53.3%

British Irish 26.7%
French German 15.2%
Scandinavian 1.4%
Finish .4%

Eastern European 38.5%

Southern European 4.8%
Balkan 1.1%
Iberian 1%

Sub Saharan African .1%

Last edited by mojaveman; 02-04-2019 at 11:14.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35   #44
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Not ready to give a DNA sample to anyone yet but my brother did so:

Northwest European 53.3 %
British Irish 26.7%
French German 15.2%
Scandinavian 1.4%
Finish .4%

Eastern European 38.5%

Southern European 4.8%
Balkan 1.1%
Iberian 1%

Sub Saharan African .1%
Watch yours only half-match his.

‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:51   #45
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
Watch yours only half-match his.

I watched a show awhile back that stated 1 out of 8 people are mistaken about who they identify as their genetic father.

If true, that means there are a whole lot of us here who would get that result.

LHC