Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-24-2018, 12:15   #16
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I did get more info on my Irish lineage. I am a direct descendant of King Niall Noígíallach, aka: Niall of the Nine Hostages, Northern Ireland around 400AD.
Guess that makes us cousins of sorts JJ

If anyone wants to get more bang for the buck you can upload your RAW file to GEDmatch which will allow you to match with others who used different services, and if you would like to see how your DNA relates to your health you can upload to promethease.com.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:28   #17
Gypsy
Area Commander

We did the DNA

Southern European 45.8%
Italian 24.4%
Balkan 2.6%
Broadly Southern European 18.9%

Northwestern European 43.4%
British & Irish 13.2%
French & German 7.7%
Scandinavian 0.7%
Broadly Northwestern European 21.9

Eastern Europe 2.1%

A little bit of less that 1% of some other DNA too. (Sub Sarahan African, South Asian and Ashkenazi Jewish)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:35   #18
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
We did the DNA

Southern European 45.8%
Italian 24.4%
Balkan 2.6%
Broadly Southern European 18.9%

Northwestern European 43.4%
British & Irish 13.2%
French & German 7.7%
Scandinavian 0.7%
Broadly Northwestern European 21.9

Eastern Europe 2.1%

A little bit of less than 1% of some other DNA too. (Sub Sarahan African, South Asian and Ashkenazi Jewish)
I didn't get that hit, but of the top 10 "near relatives", 3 did. Not sure how that works, but given that some DNA lineage can go back 1000+ yrs....

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:00   #19
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
I didn't get that hit, but of the top 10 "near relatives", 3 did. Not sure how that works, but given that some DNA lineage can go back 1000+ yrs....
I have no knowledge of any Jewish relatives, like you said these tests can go back many many moons! One of my brothers is the genealogist in the family, but he's been busy of late. I'd love to see how far back we can trace.
Old 03-25-2018, 13:25   #20
Noah Werka
Quiet Professional

For what it is worth.
Call me Paranoid...we all know how and what Google does-collect and hoard data. Well, duh..." Consider the case of Google...(One of the founders of 23andMe, Anne Wojcicki, is presently married to Sergei Brin, the founder of Google.)...as we now know, the fundamental purpose of the company wasn’t to help us search, but to hoard information."

No reason to think 23andme is any different. I'll pass.

Old but still valid

Noah W
Noah Werka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 15:01   #21
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Werka View Post
For what it is worth.
Call me Paranoid...we all know how and what Google does-collect and hoard data. Well, duh..." Consider the case of Google...(One of the founders of 23andMe, Anne Wojcicki, is presently married to Sergei Brin, the founder of Google.)...as we now know, the fundamental purpose of the company wasn’t to help us search, but to hoard information."

No reason to think 23andme is any different. I'll pass.

Old but still valid

Noah W
Call me paranoid too. I'm not willingly submitting a DNA sample to be stored in a NSA fusion center database...oops, I mean Google's database...oops I mean 23&Me's database. Now that I've read the Scientific American article I'm sure I never will.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:41   #22
JimP
Quiet Professional

That was my line of thought as well - hence why I don't use social media. BUT...being in the military for 36 years, if you think you're data isn't all over the world in various repositories, you're mistaken. At this point, I figure the dems and their liberal ilk will be fighting over which re-education camp to put me in when they gain total power. So....screw it.

But then again, their propensity to be nancy-boys (hand-wringing, bed-wetting poodle-walkers) with no sperm production and the undeniable urge for hair products means they are going to need a few of us around for perpetuation of the species. So, in my best "Carl the groundskeeper voice": "I've got that going for me."
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:18   #23
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
A little throw-back,, Uncle started collecting DNA from the troops in 1992....

Quote:
Genetic Record to Be Kept on Members of Military

The Defense Department said today that it would establish a repository of genetic information on all American service members as a new way of identifying future casualties of war.

Samples of DNA, the basic material of heredity, will be obtained from blood and oral swabs. The samples will be added to existing fingerprint, dental and other records to produce a more comprehensive way of identifying the remains of war dead, said the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, which proposed the initiative.

"The establishment of this repository may very well mean that we will no longer have an 'unknown soldier' from future battle casualties," said Maj. Victor Weedn of the Army, chief of the institute's Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory.
Quote:
Federal Mandates for Healthcare: Digital Record-Keeping Requirements for Public and Private Healthcare Providers

As a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, all public and private healthcare providers and other eligible professionals (EP) were required to adopt and demonstrate “meaningful use” of electronic medical records (EMR) by January 1, 2014 in order to maintain their existing Medicaid and Medicare reimbursement levels. Since that date, the use of electronic medical and health records has spread worldwide and shown its many benefits to health organizations everywhere.

https://www.usfhealthonline.com/reso...cords-mandate/

It's to late to worry about IF they get your DNA..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:01   #24
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
A little throw-back,, Uncle started collecting DNA from the troops in 1992....
I remember having to go into medical as a unit for them to do the DNA draw.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:33   #25
Pete
Quiet Professional

And IIRC the held military data has been used more than once in criminal cases.

Yeah, they got mine way back when also.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:47   #26
Paslode
Area Commander

DNA testing is done on every newborn in the US, and this has been going on for sometime.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/01/w...ks-261136.html

Sooner than later DNA testing will be a regular part of medical testing for 'everyone' because it will offer physicians and insurance companies a preview into your future health.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:56   #27
Paslode
Area Commander

DNA testing is done on every newborn in the US, and this has been going on for sometime.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/01/w...ks-261136.html

Sooner than later DNA testing will be a regular part of medical testing for 'everyone' because it will offer physicians and insurance companies a preview into your future health.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:14   #28
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
If you're referring to newborn screening then yes, genetic testing is being done on all hospital-born newborns. This is testing for specific genetic diseases for which treatment needs to begin in the newborn period (e.g. enzyme deficiencies, immune defects, etc.) To my knowledge, there are no state-sponsored whole genome sequencing programs for newborns.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 18:32   #29
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
If you're referring to newborn screening then yes, genetic testing is being done on all hospital-born newborns. This is testing for specific genetic diseases for which treatment needs to begin in the newborn period (e.g. enzyme deficiencies, immune defects, etc.) To my knowledge, there are no state-sponsored whole genome sequencing programs for newborns.
The key phrase is 'to my knowledge'.

When you consider that we are spied on by our government 24/7/365 in all kinds of seemingly innocuous manners, it would be no surprise to find the Fed's have a massive DNA database they have obtained through visits to the doctors office.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:39   #30
CSM-H
Quiet Professional

Ancestory DNA test

I took the test as a joke to prove I could get an Obama phone ( came back 1%)... Anyway, stated I had two 1st cousins. Contacted one of them, we chatted, they sent me names of "family"..... Then I told them truth be told I was adopted and didn't truly find out until I was 38 years old..... "very interesting"....

A week later, (I did give the lady my birth name, date and mothers name) received an e-mail with names of relatives in Louisville, Ky....

Because of the test I met my 99 year old maternal grandmother, three Aunts, two Uncles, two half sisters and a half brother...... my Grandmother dies at 101 and 2 months.... she was a pistol.

As far as what you've been told all your life, take the test, you might be surprised what you find out..... For me it was and is worth it... Good Luck, CSM-H
CSM-H is offline   Reply With Quote