Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-20-2017, 20:34   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

Range Finder

Long range hunters, precision fanatics, and long distance leadslingers, what do you use as range finder?

I am looking for one to true my system at 600 yards min (per master Gene Econ) and preferably 800m (per Hodnett).

There's plenty options nowadays. So far in my research Bushnell is best priced with tons of feature, Vortex got the best warranty, and Leupold is now affordable with plenty innovations. There's an open box Leupold at Academy that's priced very well, so that's what I'm leaning for.

Do you guys do test like ladder/box test for scope to test how well the range finder performs?

Thank you for the education

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 02-20-2017 at 20:39.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 21:05   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I use a Swarovski 8X30. It is good out to about 1200 meters on non-reflective targets and 1600 Meters on reflective targets. It has been discontinued by Swarovski. I paid $1000.00 for it about 5 years ago. No complaints.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 21:11   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

Watching this thread with interest - been considering a Zeiss Victory 8x26 T* PRF - about $600+ or -

Reportedly good out to about 1,000 meters.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:30   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Not Looking,, but I like the topic..

Anyone played with the SilencerCo Radius??

Quote:
SWR Radius, $999, AC1536

A rail mounted rangefinder capable of ranging out to a mile on a reflective target and attaching to a Picatinny rail in any orientation. When we first decided to create our own rail mounted rangefinder, we wanted something that would allow us to range out to incredible distances reliably without having to come off of the gun and without breaking the bank, and that's exactly what we're delivering to you. Additional features of the Radius include a user configurable display, continuous ranging for 12 hours with (2) CR123 batteries, and resistance to even extreme elements.

SWR's stated goal is to bring advanced technology to the public at an attainable price and with the announcement of a capability-heavy range finder for only $999, we've done just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NI1vjjaBIg

https://www.store.silencerco.com/pro...nt=12534947652

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkbN3XFkQg
I have a couple of their can's, so I get "NEWS" mails..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radius-1_1024x1024.jpg (95.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg radius-4_1024x1024.jpg (78.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg radius-3_1024x1024.jpg (90.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg radius-2_1024x1024.jpg (78.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg R01.jpg (95.3 KB, 17 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:39   #5
mojaveman
Area Commander

Bought a Leupold RX-600 a few years ago for about $250. It's rated at 600 yards but I've gotten ranges on flat metal surfaces out to 700 yards.

Last edited by mojaveman; 02-21-2017 at 22:34.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 21:09   #6
35NCO
Guerrilla

Weapon mounted- Wilcox

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-raptar-...nfrared-laser/

http://www.wilcoxind.com/RAPTARtrade-P163.aspx

http://www.wilcoxind.com/RAPTAR-Strade-P175.aspx

Vortex offers massive .mil discounts BTW.

Suspect the processor is the same in many of them to several other brands.

Glass and laser resolution is a point of return on whomever you choose to invest in. Plan for how many years your investment is worth to you.

JJ,

I believe SiCo dropped that part of the company before the layoffs? Not sure if they kept product rights or support. They were trying to do what Wilcox already did with the Raptar. Pretty neat idea either way. I shot the wilcox version and it worked incredibly well. Would assume the same for SiCo. SiCo will win with price against wilcox, thats for sure.

Last edited by 35NCO; 02-21-2017 at 21:20.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:57   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I'm recommending the poor man's Leica Geovid: http://bushnell.com/hunting/laser-rangefinders/fusion. I'm using the 10x42 version and wouldn't trade it for anything less than a real Geovid. I appreciate the fact that it's binos and range finder in one; saves carrying two pieces of gear, makes it easier to glass an area for longer periods without eyestrain, and gives instant range to points of interest. Worth every penny I spent on it.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 13:43   #8
Maple Flag
Auxiliary

I chose a Vortex Ranger 1000 recently. I haven't used the laser in enough conditions to comment on it, but I've been very happy with the coated glass performance in different conditions. Nice clarity and brightness for a 6x22mm. It's worked surprisingly well for me in low light observation.

Best of all, it's lightweight, compact, packs nice and square in a utility pouch on my web gear with room to spare and has decent water resistance. I've had no complaints so far. It's become my default handheld optic, always on me in the field.

It can be mounted on a tripod, but if I'm bringing a tripod for stability, I'm probably bringing some larger optic as well.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...00-rangefinder
Maple Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 13:49   #9
Maple Flag
Auxiliary

I actually have a photo of it in my CROPS CTR Rig thread here so you can get a sense of the size. I guess I actually bought it about 2 years ago now. Feels like "recently".

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=50157
Maple Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 20:07   #10
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
I'm recommending the poor man's Leica Geovid: http://bushnell.com/hunting/laser-rangefinders/fusion. I'm using the 10x42 version and wouldn't trade it for anything less than a real Geovid. I appreciate the fact that it's binos and range finder in one; saves carrying two pieces of gear, makes it easier to glass an area for longer periods without eyestrain, and gives instant range to points of interest. Worth every penny I spent on it.
I wish it has the thread for tripod though. Lasing 1000 yards and beyond takes very steady hands!

INDNJC
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I wish it has the thread for tripod though. Lasing 1000 yards and beyond takes very steady hands!

I have been scanning youtube vids of the various models mentioned and noticed that "everyone" has the jitters..

I'm thinking that a rangefinder mounted on a weapon, with bi-pod, would be prudent?? OR having a spotter in tow with bi-pod mounted rangefinder??

Q??? 4X, 6x models?? at 1K yds,, are the non-variable subtending reticles like minute of house or barn??

Old 02-27-2017, 23:23   #12
frostfire
Area Commander

I found this helpful:
http://rangefinderratings.com/huntin...range-shooting

Then there's the unobtainable
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/04/26...wilcox-raptar/

INDNJC
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06   #13
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Bought a Leupold RX-600 a few years ago for about $250. It's rated at 600 yards but I've gotten ranges on flat metal surfaces out to 700 yards.
I've got the same.

It's no longer a high performance range finder.

But it suits my needs on range and out in the field for one handed use.

No complaints whatsoever, had it for years, and it's held up very well in some lousy conditions and treatment at times.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:01   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
link: In Stock: Wilcox RAPTAR S Rangefinder w/Eye Safe IR Laser 57300G02-LB, SALE PRICE $7899.99, Free Shipping

I need to skip a few beers to save up for one..

Old 02-28-2017, 17:10   #15
35NCO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
For the cost of a M82A1 it better have free shipping!
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote